• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

autofocus, fine adjust, presbyopic . . . (1 Viewer)

morgan in austin

I have a focusing problem.
1. Autofocus fail
The autofocus (Fuji F30) generally does a pretty poor job - - especially when it decides to focus on a tiny twig in the foreground, instead of the huge bird beyond the twig, but also with a clear unobstructed view the autofocus is bad. (This is w/ a Swarovski spotting scope and homemade adapter).

2. Workaround: tweak scope
My workaround is to press the shutter button halfway, let the autofocus make its attempt, then tweak the focus wheel on the telescope to improve. This sometimes works, somewhat, dependent on two constraints - -

3. Low resolution LCD
It's hard to see on the LCD just how effective my tweaks are. Some cameras have a feature where the LCD can expand a small detail of the screen to let you see what you're getting. I fear this goes only with manual-focus models, though? Does somebody know a model (compact and under USD500) that would have the "highlight/expand the focus area" feature on its LCD?

4. Presbyopic
On top of that, I can't really see very well close up anyway. I might just be out of luck on this, although my vision isn't really TERRIBLE, so maybe a model with a really bright, crisp, hi-res LCD would work for me.

Comments/recommendations?

get a LCD sunshade with 2x-3x loupe. Google "hoodman" for examples.

merry christmas
Rick

Thanks . . . the loupe looks helpful . . . do you know if any auto focusing compact cameras have
feature where the LCD can expand a small detail of the screen
?

(My F30 needs to be replaced anyway, b/c of internal damage causing dark spots on the final photo)

You might look at the Canon S90, but I suspect it is only available in Manual focus mode. A hooded loupe will make a huge difference. Some can also be used with diopter correction for your prescrition if needed.

happy new year,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back