• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (1 Viewer)

MB Using autofocus

How about this:
http://www.metabones.com/article/of/mft-manual-using-autofocus

Limitations
1. Autofocus is supported with the following known limitations
AFC (continuous AF) and AFF (flexible AF) modes are not supported.
2. Video AF is not supported for Olympus.
3. Video AF may suffer from more hunting than a native lens. Video AF effectiveness is dependent upon the lens' ability to make small, rapid changes with minimal latency.
4. Unsupported lenses: previous generation Tamron VC lenses and Contax N lenses modified to EF mount by Conurus Canada.
5. The precision of the lens, both in terms of positioning and timing, plays a significant role in AF accuracy. Most PDAF lenses with ultrasonic or stepper motors and many other lenses perform satisfactorily in this regard. Refer to the product page on Metabones' web site for the most up-to-date list of lenses tested to autofocus accurately.
6. When an EF Extender is used with a Canon telephoto lens, autofocus is disabled if the combined maximum aperture of the lens and the EF Extender is slower than (numerically exceeds) f/5.6. This is a limitation imposed by the Canon lens itself and is not caused by the Speed Booster/Smart Adapter.

My EF 400 + MB + E-M1 and Extender is autofocusing....contrary what is listed in pos.6....

Spending the weekend in Hungary. V2.2 is buggy. I will go back to 2.1 as soon as I get home. Kept getting blackouts and AF seems slower.

Point #6 above is not correct. I get AF with both the 1.4x and the 2x Extender III on the 400/5.6. In the beginning I had to tape the three or at least the last pin to get it to work, but the first update took care of that. No more tape.

Spending the weekend in Hungary. V2.2 is buggy. I will go back to 2.1 as soon as I get home. Kept getting blackouts and AF seems slower.

Point #6 above is not correct. I get AF with both the 1.4x and the 2x Extender III on the 400/5.6. In the beginning I had to tape the three or at least the last pin to get it to work, but the first update took care of that. No more tape.
I managed to win an auction on eBay and will hopefully soon have a 1.4x II extender. By the way, have MB fixed the bug that prevents the IBIS from getting the correct focal length? (If I remember correctly someone on this forum mentioned this).

I managed to win an auction on eBay and will hopefully soon have a 1.4x II extender. By the way, have MB fixed the bug that prevents the IBIS from getting the correct focal length? (If I remember correctly someone on this forum mentioned this).

Congrads on your purchase. It makes a nice addition to the 400mm but unfortunately it cannot beat the clarity of the 600mm scope on long distance shots. I use the 400mm in outings where I don't expect close range shots and I keep the 1.4X in reserve for longer distances up to about 75 m. It even does a decent job for easy to catch BIF that are not too close. Warbler season is approaching and I suspect that the 100-300mm will be the lens of choice.

I was hoping to be able to get rid of the scope but I think I will keep it. Instead, I am looking at the Panasonic 100-400mm: it would allow me to get rid of the 100-300mm and probably the 400mm.

First photo: Canon 400mm + 1.4X II at about 75 m. Second photo: Sigma 150-600mm at 50 m.

Attachments

• 001-160414ab021kf.jpg
    001-160414ab021kf.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 002-160414ab108kf.jpg
    002-160414ab108kf.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

I am also able to use the Canon Extenders without taping the pins and autofocus is as fast as it is without a TC.

I also had serious black EVF problems with V.2.2 when trying a Sigma 150-600mm. Also, the Canon 1.4X II won't autofocus on the Sigma with V.2.2, even when using the tape hack - it works fine with V.2.1 without taping the pins.

Also, like I said on a previous post, I suspect that autofocus is not as fast with the 400mm. I'm back to V.2.1.

Hi Tord I have the metabones model Smart adapter BT2 for canon. I can set the IBIS ok using the sigma 500 4.5 prime lens. AF also works with or without kenko 1.4 converter.
Kind regards Mike

Last edited:
Tord,
V2.1 fixed the bug.

nj
it WAS windy!;) Warm and windy. Nice light, but the air was bad for any sort of detail, even up pretty close:
P4174532.jpg

P4174543.jpg
400/5.6 + 2x Extender
Mike,
If the Sigma 500mm shows up as 500mm in the exif data, it means it is sending its information to the camera through the adapter, and you can set the IBIS to anything you want and it will still adjust for 500mm. The automatic focal length adjustment overrides the manual adjustment, provided the camera can "see" the lens. Now, whether the 500 will work at all with the Metabones adapter is another question. I hope itz does, but I have my doubts. I know that the older, pre IS Canon 300/2.8 does not work, but the newer ones do. Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Tord,
V2.1 fixed the bug.

nj
it WAS windy!;) Warm and windy. Nice light, but the air was bad for any sort of detail, even up pretty close:
View attachment 581516

View attachment 581517
400/5.6 + 2x Extender
Mike,
If the Sigma 500mm shows up as 500mm in the exif data, it means it is sending its information to the camera through the adapter, and you can set the IBIS to anything you want and it will still adjust for 500mm. The automatic focal length adjustment overrides the manual adjustment, provided the camera can "see" the lens. Now, whether the 500 will work at all with the Metabones adapter is another question. I hope itz does, but I have my doubts. I know that the older, pre IS Canon 300/2.8 does not work, but the newer ones do. Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the confirmation Dan. I was not sure but it is what I thaught.

Lightroom identifies the lens correctly when used with the MB adapter. It even indicates the TC if one is used. This is true for the 2 lenses I have tried: the Canon 400mm and Sigma 150-600mm.

Nice photos. Congrads !

nj
it WAS windy! Warm and windy. Nice light, but the air was bad for any sort of detail, even up pretty close:

I was just trying to make a joke about those windmills looking like the wind was blowing them to the side ;)

Niels

When using extender with the 400mm lens it only shows 400mm in exif data...wonder why?
I am using MB firmware 2.1 again.

Since the camera sees 400mm I guess the IS is set automatically for 400mm, not real focal lenght I have dialled in.

Cheers,

Anders

Last edited:
When using extender with the 400mm lens it only shows 400mm in exif data...wonder why?

Since the camera sees 400mm I guess the IS is set automatically for 400mm, not real focal lenght I have dialled in.

Cheers,

Anders

The first image shows the EXIF in LR for a photo taken with:
  • Olympus EM-1
  • Metabones Smart Adapter with Firmware 2.1
  • Canon 400mm EF
  • Canon 1.4X Extender II
As you can see it shows that the TC was used and that aperture was f/8.0. Perfect !

The second image shows the EXIF for another photo taken with exactly the same equipment. This time, it ignores the TC and the aperture is incorrect.

?????????

Attachments

• MB avec TC.JPG
    MB avec TC.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 241
  • MB avec TC 2.JPG
    MB avec TC 2.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
I noticed that once yesterday after going back to 2.1, that is, I had the 1.4x on and noticed that the camera was showing 400mm and f/5.7 when I turned it on. Turned off, pushed the lens release button and turned it back on. Back to normal. I will keep an eye on it but it doesn't have me too worried. 2.2 did have me worried.

Even if the exif is wrong, are the pictures OK?

I noticed that once yesterday after going back to 2.1, that is, I had the 1.4x on and noticed that the camera was showing 400mm and f/5.7 when I turned it on. Turned off, pushed the lens release button and turned it back on. Back to normal. I will keep an eye on it but it doesn't have me too worried. 2.2 did have me worried.

Even if the exif is wrong, are the pictures OK?

I'll check to see if I can correct it like you do.

Pictures OK ? Yes and no. Now that I use the electronic shutter, I don't have irregular focus anymore but there are things I don't like about the lens:
  1. It is not a short range walk about lens, at least for me. First, it doesn't focus closer than 3.5 meters. Also, 400mm is often too much and I have difficulty finding the birds. Finally, I miss the zoom.
  2. The IQ seems irregular. I don't think the photos are out of focus and it is not shutter shock but sharpness could often be better. There are those photos that have to be perfect: the bird is not too far and it is not moving, the light is good, the camera is on a tripod and you are satisfied with the shot. When you get back home, you find that the photo is so-so. I can't rely on that lens.
  3. It is not a replacement for my scope, even with the 1.4X TC. Unfortunately, it breaks down quickly with distance. I love long distance bird photography and it is not very good at that.
I may very well decide to buy a Panasonic 100-400mm. It would give me 33% more reach than my 100-300mm and improved performance.

Would I keep the 400mm ? Probably not. I have to decide quickly because my birding season will be in full swing shortly.

I would be very much surprised if the 100-400 can touch the Canon 400 at 400mm, but it will beat the crap out of it between 100 and 399mm. 3:) Might have less CA though, not that it is all that bad with the Canon. I used to have an old Nikon 400/5.6. VERY colorful!:king: Not super sharp and CA City! Great lens when it came out though, back in the film days. Was known as a fast sports lens. Very quick to focus.

Sharpness is the least of my worries with the Canon 400. It is great up close P4012748.jpg and at distance 24635620590_1fde258ca7_b.jpg, but the further the subject is away the more other factors come into play, like air movement and vibration or camera movement.
It would be nice to get closer, I agree. That is one thing about the 100-400s, either Pana-Leica or Canon, that I find attractive. But I don't want it at the expense of IQ at 400mm.

I would be very much surprised if the 100-400 can touch the Canon 400 at 400mm, but it will beat the crap out of it between 100 and 399mm. 3:) Might have less CA though, not that it is all that bad with the Canon. I used to have an old Nikon 400/5.6. VERY colorful!:king: Not super sharp and CA City! Great lens when it came out though, back in the film days. Was known as a fast sports lens. Very quick to focus.

Sharpness is the least of my worries with the Canon 400. It is great up close View attachment 582013 and at distance View attachment 582012, but the further the subject is away the more other factors come into play, like air movement and vibration or camera movement.
It would be nice to get closer, I agree. That is one thing about the 100-400s, either Pana-Leica or Canon, that I find attractive. But I don't want it at the expense of IQ at 400mm.

I'm glad the 400mm works well for you. I didn't mention CA which is often present because it is easily corrected in LR.

The 400mm is indeed sharp at close range but so is my 100-300mm. See photo. So it is not giving my anything I don't have now.

Attachments

• 001-140513aa035kf.jpg
    001-140513aa035kf.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

Cheers,

Anders

I pushed the lens release button on the camerahousing when camera was off, but it still shows 400mm in exif after taking a photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back