• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon powershot a95 digital camera (1 Viewer)

philip parsons

Hello there, recently i have purcased a canon powershot a95 camera.I have adapted it to my nikon ed82 fieldscope using an adaptor etc.. Can any one provide me with the precise details of the procedure for saving the camera zoom settings.Will this enable the camera to be in focus with the particular
telescope lens when using the 'c' shooting mode. The lens i use is a 30x wide
angle.
Regards, Phil Parsons.

Hi Phil,

I tried the link that Redshank provided but I think the link is duff. Anyway all you have to do is save whatever settings you wish to the 'C' setting then select manual focus and adjust it to the setting you require then save this to the 'C' mode. You can also do this for the zoom as well.

Pete :~} :eat:

canon powershot a95 settings

sidrat said:
Hi Phil,

I tried the link that Redshank provided but I think the link is duff. Anyway all you have to do is save whatever settings you wish to the 'C' setting then select manual focus and adjust it to the setting you require then save this to the 'C' mode. You can also do this for the zoom as well.

Pete :~} :eat:
Hello Pete & Redshank,
I tried to get through to the link set up by Redshank but couldn't,however,
thanks for the information.
I am inexperienced with using the camera at the moment, and all info is greatly appreciated.
I have explored the Birdforum and became very impressed with the quality of
of the bird images created by all the Digiscopers using this particular camera.
For obtaining sharp focus images, i presume you first of all have to sharp focus on a particular object using the telescope.Then fix the camera to the telescope lens and focus on the same object using MF and save this setting
to C. Does this mean that you can also do this for each camera zoom setting on the same particular object.
Will these saved settings provide the camera to be in focus, with the
telescope, everytime you switch to mode 'C'.
Kind Regards, Phil. :h?:

philip parsons said:
Hello Pete & Redshank,
I tried to get through to the link set up by Redshank but couldn't,however,
thanks for the information.
I am inexperienced with using the camera at the moment, and all info is greatly appreciated.
I have explored the Birdforum and became very impressed with the quality of
of the bird images created by all the Digiscopers using this particular camera.
For obtaining sharp focus images, i presume you first of all have to sharp focus on a particular object using the telescope.Then fix the camera to the telescope lens and focus on the same object using MF and save this setting
to C. Does this mean that you can also do this for each camera zoom setting on the same particular object.
Will these saved settings provide the camera to be in focus, with the
telescope, everytime you switch to mode 'C'.
Kind Regards, Phil. :h?:

Afraid not Philip, if only things were that easy.
What you save to 'C' are the parameters of the camera that you are likely to use most. There is a thread in this forum about how and why to do this - 8 threads below this one and started by Waring.

The usual method of digiscoping is to focus the scope on an object then fit the camera, in autofocus mode, and take your picture, you can use Manual Focus but it is far more difficult.
Until you have had some practice I should stick with AF and concentrate on trying to keep everything steady and getting the hang of things, MF can come later as can focusing just using the monitor screen etc.

Keep asking the questions as they come along, you will get good answers to your problems here.

Regards

john

Forums Gallery Birding Locations Equipment Reviews Bird Database Classifieds Chat Resources

Gallery
Gallery Home
My Gallery
My Favourites
Equipment
Equipment Reviews
My Products
My Watch List
Bird Location Directory
Bird Location Reviews
My Locations
My Watch List
Resources
Links
Bird Song
Calendar
Tide Info
Weather
Memberlist
Accomodation
Birding Pal

BirdForum > User Control Panel > Private Messages > Inbox
Re: cannon A95
Time now is 21:32

Forums: New Posts Forums: Todays Posts Gallery: New Photos Gallery: New Comments Reviews: New Products Reviews: New Reviews Private Messages

Advanced Search
More Options
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
User Control Panel
Edit Profile
My Profile
Edit Signature
Edit Avatar
Edit Options
Subscribed Threads
Miscellaneous
Open Buddy List
Contact Us
Control Panel
Settings & Options
Edit Signature
Edit Email & Password
Edit Profile
Edit Options
Edit Avatar
Edit Profile Picture
Private Messages Edit Folders
Inbox
Sent Items

List Messages
Send New Message
Track Messages
Edit Folders
Subscribed Threads Subscription Folders

List Subscriptions
Edit Folders
Miscellaneous
Event Reminders
Paid Subscriptions
Group Memberships
Buddy / Ignore Lists
Attachments
Private Message: Re: cannon A95
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 18:28
sidrat
Swaffham Birder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by redshankhi pete
all on order now
do you have your own setting for scope i think you said somehing about c settings what settings do you find good?
regards
shay

Hi Shay,

Good to hear that the camera is on order. On the mode switch of the camera is a position 'C', whatever you save to this position is remembered by the camera until you change it.

Firstly switch on the camera and put the mode switch to Av (apeture priority), press the 'FUNC' button and set the following:
Exp: -1/3 (better to underexpose a picture)
White Balance: AWB or cloudy or sunny (try different settings for conditions)
Drive Mode: High speed shoot (the middle icon)
ISO Speed: AUTO or 50 or 100 (dependent on conditions, try not to use over 100)
Effect: Off
Exposure type: Center Weighted Avg. or Spot
Image Size: 2592X1944 (L) quality superfine

Once these are set press the 'FUNC' button again. On the 4-way controller press down until 'MF' is displayed on the screen, then use the right direction until the focus bar on the screen is almost at infinity. Push the zoom control so you have minimum zoom then press the 'MENU' button, from here set the following:

AF Frame: Centre
Red-eye: Off
Spot AE Point: AF Point
MF-Point Zoom: On
AF-assist Beam: Off
Digital Zoom: Off
Review: 2 Sec
Reverse Disp: On
C Save Settings...: select Save

Press the 'MENU' button again and all these settings are now locked into the 'C' mode. Rotate the mode button to 'C' and you will be asked to 'Change Settings', press the 'SET' button and all the changes you made will now be enabled.

What I do to take a picture is find your bird and focus the scope as you would normally, then put the camera on the scope and switch it on. Once you have pressed the 'SET' button whilst in 'C' mode I then fine focus with the scope, if required change the zoom and press the cable release and take about 3 or 4 shots, re-check/re-position/re-focus and take 3 or 4 more. Practice in the garden etc with a can etc that has writing on (allows you to check how good your focus is), and get used to changing some of the settings (ISO speed, White Balance) if conditions change (sun, cloud etc). One thing to remember is that the MF-zoom will enlarge the centre of the screen and only when the shutter is pressed half way you get the true image of how your subject will be framed/zoomed.

Hope this helps, some of these will be a lot clearer once you have the camera and manual, read and re-read the manual to get used to changing settings.

Best of luck

Pete :~}

sidrat
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sidrat
Find More Posts by sidrat
Add sidrat to Your Buddy List
View this user's Gallery
View this user's Gallery Profile

Delete this Message
Delete MessageTo delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.
Delete this Message