• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another from Trinidad (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

Photo shot on Trinidad in June. My guess is female ruby topaz hummingbird or maybe brown violet ear?
Can anyone help?
Thanks
BB

Attachments

• bf2.jpg
    bf2.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 43
I haven't been to that part of the world, but this definitely doesn't look right for Brown Violetear, and I agree not for the Ruby Topaz either. Could a young Black-throated Mango look this brown above?

Andrea

Photo shot on Trinidad in June. My guess is female ruby topaz hummingbird or maybe brown violet ear?
Can anyone help?
Thanks
BB

A juvenile male or female ruby topaz imo. The white marks on the tail feathers are usually diagnostic.

Also the BV has never been reported at Pax to my knowledge ad is locally rare here.

BTM have purple tailfeathers above the white spots which is why I discount that and juveniles aren't this brown. It could easily be a RT but without the right light directly on the iridescent feathers it can look brown. If I can find a shot I'll pull up on of a juvenile male.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back