• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose migration (1 Viewer)

It's Cackling Goose. These have been spotted here in SE Michigan, as have a number of Snow Geese, and of course thousands of Canada's.

Bill

Last weekend on one of the Dutch isles, hundreds of Brents were foraging as well as many whitefronts. Around my hometown there are lots of whitefronts, bean and greylags.

Highest recorded personally so far is 173 Dark-bellied Brents at Dawlish Warren on the 10th November. Since then three Pale-bellies have been reported.

Spring wildfowl migration has already begun, with 20 Whooper Swans in off the sea in SE Iceland on 25 February. Many thousands to follw. Any movements in the UK or elsewhere?

E

Jane Turner said:
My local Brent Goose (pb) flock is about 60% of its peak numbers now Edward

So I imagine they'll be staying for a bit longer on the Wirral, Jane. We don't get them until the first week of April usually, a few trickle in at the end of March sometimes. Let me know when they leave so I can amaze my friends here by accurately predicting the first arrival of Brents ;-)

Talking of wildfowl, a friend of mine found 27 King Eiders in a 5,000 strong Common Eider raft yesterday. Nothing to do with migration but interesting nonetheless, almost worth driving out to see. Shame I'm at work.

E

Edward said:
Spring wildfowl migration has already begun, with 20 Whooper Swans in off the sea in SE Iceland on 25 February. Many thousands to follw. Any movements in the UK or elsewhere?

E
hi edward ,
great to hear from you again , the number of pinks on the norfolk coast wells area are dropping all the time now as the geese that winter here are making their way back up to scotland getting ready to drop of and make their way back to lucky old you , look out for the juv snow goose that has spent the winter with the pinks it might just end up with you , regards derekjake

Last edited:
Flocks of 250 Pintail, 750 Pink-footed Geese, hundreds of Greylags, Wigeon and Teal still occupy their winter haunts here on the Beauly Firth. Expect Pink-feet numbers to build from the south in the next few weeks before onward migration to Iceland.

Whoopers have been scarce on the Beauly Firth since October but saw my first 2 here again on Sunday. Where have they been all winter ?

Interestingly the Kessock Bridge flock of (Icelandic) Redshanks suddenly doubled to 850 on 31 January. They sat roosting even at low tide looking very tired. Where had they come from ? Have many Redshank arrived in Iceland yet ?

Still a good flock of 1360 Dunlin on the Beauly Firth on Sunday. Maybe Icelandic.

Thanks for the replies to this rejuvenated thread.
Fascinating to hear about movements of geese within the UK although it's still a little while before they'll make the crossing here. Seeing a noisy skein arriving in off the sea or seeing a flock White-fronts or Brent passing high overhead off towards Greenland is one of the greatest thrills in birding for me.
Just for interest the first dates of geese arriving in Iceland last year were
Pink-footed 30 March
White-fronted 30 March
Greylag 7 March (unusually early)
Barnacle 2 April
Brent 20 March (unsually early)
This was the first date of the species and for all species the main body comes a couple of weeks or so later. For example, the first Lesser Black-backed Gull was seen on 17 February but no more have come yet.

We've had no Redshank coming in yet and don't expect to for another 3-4 weeks (there are some that overwinter though).
You can see migrant arrival dates from the last six years here.
http://www.hi.is/~yannk/migrants.html
As there are so few local birders the different dates between years sometimes suggests a difference in observer coverage but it's interesting enough anyway.

I'll keep an eye out for that Snow Goose, Derek. I was at Holkham the other week but didn't see it as I too busy looking for the Shore Lark!

E

Four Brent Geese were reported this morning in western Iceland, a month earlier than normal and two months before numbers peak.

E

Up to 8000 pinks in the Loch Leven area now. Birds have been appearing from both the north and the south. It would be nice to get up to 30000 like last March.

Edward said:
On Saturday I saw two very big flocks of Pale-bellied Brent Geese (Branta bernicla hrota) coming in off the sea in south-western Iceland, arriving after a mammoth crossing of the Greenland icecap and the Denmark Strait from their breeding islands in northern Canada. They're the first ones I've seen this autumn, and a clear sign that the summer is well and truly over. They'll stay here for a month or so, refuelling before heading to the UK and Ireland for the winter.

Anyone noticed any movements of geese yet?

E

I dont think it can be called "movement of geese", but there is an "absent minded" one (Branta bernicla ¿bernicla?) in La Guardia, Galicia, Northwest of Spain. Took some pictures of him/her a week ago. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• miño 27.02.05 barnacla.jpg
    miño 27.02.05 barnacla.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 98
  • miño 27.02.05 barnacla1.jpg
    miño 27.02.05 barnacla1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 81
Nutcracker said:
Yes, race bernicla. I guess they are rare in Spain?
yep, they are quite rare around here, in fact is THE barnacla carinegra (thats how its called in spanish). Here in Galicia we see one or two every year, though its the first time as far as I know we have the bernicla variety in the river Miño.

Edward said:
12 Barnacles arrived in SE Iceland today, another very very early record.

E

HI EDWARD, MAYBE THE GOOSE POULATION HERE IN ENGLAND HAVE GOT FED UP WITH OUR WEATHER SNOWED EVERY DAY FOR THE LAST 16 DAYS HERE IN EAST ANGLIA, STILL WE DONT GET BARNACLES IN THIS NECK OF THE WOOD , PINKS , GREYS, WHITE FRONT , STILL I HAVE A PAIR IN MY COLLECTION BUT AFTER 3 YEARS STILL NO GOSLINGS ,
TAKE CARE EDWARD SPEAK TO YOU SOON.

Hi Derekjake,

I looked after a small waterfowl collection some years ago, had a pair of Barnacles and in the fourth year they produced four eggs, so dont lose hope yet of yours breeding.
Incidentally most of the Lincs pinkfeet have left moving NW to Lancs and the Solway area.

John Marshall said:
Hi Derekjake,

I looked after a small waterfowl collection some years ago, had a pair of Barnacles and in the fourth year they produced four eggs, so dont lose hope yet of yours breeding.
Incidentally most of the Lincs pinkfeet have left moving NW to Lancs and the Solway area.

HI JOHN ,
THANKS FOR GIVEN ME HOPE WITH MY BARNACLES , I ALSO HAD A FIRST SEASON PINK WHICH I WINGTIPPED ON MORNING FLIGHT LAST YEAR, WITHIN TWO DAYS THIS YOUNG GOOSE WAS FEEDING FROM MY HAND, BY LAST AUGUST ITS HEALED WING TIP HAD GROWN AND I DECIDED TO LET IT MAKE UP ITS OWN MIND AS TO IF IT STAID WITH ME OR MADE ITS WAY BACK TO THE COAST , ON RETURNING FROM HOLIDAY I FOUND IT HAD FLOWN SADLY IT DID NOT GET FAR AS I FOUND ITS REMAINS ABOUT A MONTH LATER A MILE FROM THE SMALL LAKE WERE I KEEP MY COLLECTION, OR WHAT WAS LEFT OF IT AFTER CHARLIE HAD EATEN HIS FILL

DID YOU HAVE THE JUV SNOW GOOSE IN LINC JOHN , A FOWLER FRIEND SAID A SNOW GOOSE HAD BEEN SEEN ON THE SOLWAY IN DECEMBER,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back