• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Hampshire (UK). (1 Viewer)

siberian

Hi,
About me :- Been a birdwatcher for years. Enjoy watching the birds in my garden as much as spending a day out in the field. Used to enjoy a good twitch, but now prefer to stay local, rather than rushing about. Not good for my blood pressure !!.
Have just bought a Zeiss 65 scope with zoom, and a Kyocera SL400R. Main idea was to keep the weight down, so I would be more likely to take it out each time, rather then leave it in the car. Intend to get into this digiscoping lark, well have a go anyway!.
Plan A, is to make my own adaptor to marry the two together. Have got a few ideas from the forums, thanks.
Will let you know how I get on, and hopefully post my truely amazing pics!

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to Birdforum.

Lets hope your digiscoping works out great, we have plenty of tips etc on the site. Just remember that the late Laurence Poh (The father of digiscoping) started off like this and look at the outstanding results he attained.

Hi Brian,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

That's on ehting about bird watching you can do it in a variety of ways and levels. Good luck in the digiscoping. It certainly aded a dimension to my birding. Loads of tips and ideas can be found in the forums if you have any queries.

See you around.

Hi Brian,

Good luck with the digiscoping. I've just started a couple of months back with much the same equipment (Zeiss 65 with Contax 300 and home-made adaptor).

Fun and frustration in equal measure, but incredibly rewarding when it does work. A couple of things which I think are essential are a shutter release (pennine online do the only one I know of, £40 and a good bit of kit it is too), and a spare battery or two (plus possibly a car charger).

After that its practice, patience, and possibly a whole thesaurus worth of new swear words while you get used to it all.

Let us know how you get on - I look forward to seeing the results in the gallery.

Marc

Hello Brian and welcomew to BirdForum.

Sure you'll soon become as addicted to the site as the rest of us...and there's loads of experts to help with any digiscoping problems that may crop up! Feel free to ask anything..there's always somebody who can help...usually within MINUTES!!!
Looking forward to seeing your pics!

GILL

hornet said:
Hi Brian,

Good luck with the digiscoping. I've just started a couple of months back with much the same equipment (Zeiss 65 with Contax 300 and home-made adaptor).

Fun and frustration in equal measure, but incredibly rewarding when it does work. A couple of things which I think are essential are a shutter release (pennine online do the only one I know of, £40 and a good bit of kit it is too), and a spare battery or two (plus possibly a car charger).

After that its practice, patience, and possibly a whole thesaurus worth of new swear words while you get used to it all.

Let us know how you get on - I look forward to seeing the results in the gallery.

Marc

Hi Marc,
I have seen a DIY shutter release using velcro, which I`ll try. Seen batteries on Ebay for about £12, but I may build an external supply using AA`s. At the moment looking for something of suitable diameter, and strong enough to take a M3 /M4 tap. I have a few ideas, may work, may not !, Should I be posting this in the digiscoping forum ?.

Brian.

Hello Brian. I've only been here a week but I think you'll find it a great place to hang out.
The gallery has some amazing images to inspire your venture into digiscoping.
Then again.......some are so good it might put you off trying for life!! |:p|

Anyway cheers! B :)

siberian said:
Hi Marc,
I have seen a DIY shutter release using velcro, which I`ll try. Seen batteries on Ebay for about £12, but I may build an external supply using AA`s. At the moment looking for something of suitable diameter, and strong enough to take a M3 /M4 tap. I have a few ideas, may work, may not !, Should I be posting this in the digiscoping forum ?.

Brian.

Clearly you're a lot more practically minded than I am! I saw the velcro shutter release posted elsewhere - looked to do the job. As for external power supplies, these might well be a good idea. The batteries drive me mad - sometimes they seem to drain in minutes.

If you crack it and feel a complete idiot could manage to copy your design, please PM me or just post the results somewhere. I'll happily trade any lessons I've learned with this set up (such as they are) in return.

Good luck. Betcha get hooked. ;)

Welcome Brian from another neighbour, sorry Dorset now but was born in Hampshire! I have just got myself some new gear too and hope to be out on Hengistbury Head and Mudeford Harbour over the Christmas period with anoth BF member?????? Or two! I'll be posting the date fairly soon if anyone wants to join in and we can talk bird for hours!

Hello Nina,
If I`m about,it would be nice to meet other BF members.
Will actually be at Hengistbury Head on Christmas Day for a few hours. Then down to Dartmoor for 4 days.
Going to try my DIY digiscoping adapter (Mark 1),tomorrow in the New Forest. Last Sunday,whilst doing a survey there,we had good views of GG Shrike, 6 Dartfords,Brambling,Merlin etc. Just one of them will do me tomorrow,but you know what birdwatching is like.....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back