• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally saw the owls (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
On Tuesday we had a bit of snow up here, so I asked the ornithology prof here where I might search for short-eared owls. He only knew of one place that someone had seen a couple 2 or 3 years ago a few miles from here, so I went out around dusk and tried to locate some, but I had no luck. I went back again last night with the same results. But tonight I found them! There was just enough light left to see the neccessary markings for ID as they skimmed the field next to the highway. And just prior to that I saw my first rough-legged hawk, making today the best day of the week.

Hi lassa.

Congratulations on your sightings. 2 in one day is pretty darn cool. Your perserverance paid off nicely ;)

OK--I have a feeling that some Snowies are heading your way. As i said earlier in the week, there is a good chance as many have been seen in S Alberta .

I'd be thrilled if a snowy made it down here! The closest one I've heard about so far was about 350 miles from here in northwest Iowa.

I went back the past two evenings, and on Friday night there were two rough-legged hawks and four owls, but last night there was only one hawk, but at least eight owls! I don't think I'd seen more than three owls my entire life before this week.

8 owls!!!! Wow, that is wonderful. Send some of those out west, would you? ;) And I'd absolutely die for a snowy, Bob, so give 'em an extra push south so they reach AZ, okay?

Tonight I went back and "only" found six owls. I saw the first one at exactly 5:10pm (this is the exact time they've shown up 3 of the 4 nights I've seen them), and it was flying about five feet above and behind my head, I only saw it because I decided to turn around and check the field behind me. I always felt like the owls were toying with me, and I think I got some confirmation tonight. The owls were also extremely vocal tonight, calling from the ground and while flying. Still waiting to get a decent look at the face of an owl.....

Its early Tuesday am and I just checked Rare Bird Alert. I was right on with Snowy Owls reported in N Dakota so they are moving south as I thought. Which states are south of the Dakotas? Better watch out and Xmas Bird count people get ready!

There was one this weekend in Springfield, Illinois, which, technically, is further south than me here in Kirksville...sigh...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back