• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Kingbird or Cassin's Kingbird? (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

I believe this bird (spotted last week in Griffith Park in Los Angeles) is a Western Kingbird, but thought I'd check with the experts in here as it's crossing the range of the Cassin's there...

Thoughts?

And while I have you here, the second bird is puzzling me. Looks junco-esque...but doesn't match. I appreciate the help on this ID.

Attachments

• Western Kingbird.jpg
    Western Kingbird.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Junco-esque.jpg
    Junco-esque.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 75
I think the breast/throat is kind of washed out in the photo. But you can see the area just below the eyes is pure white while the breast is greyer. That's another Cassin's feature.

Disclaimer: I've not personally seen either of these species. Most refs suggest that Cassin's has an all-dark tail which may show a buff or whitish tip, and that Western shows white outer tail feathers which may or may not be obvious. They also note the pale-edged wing coverts in Cassin's compared with Western where these are all dark.

However, web photos suggest the tail feather character is variable with some Cassin's showing variable amounts of white in the tail as here. In contrast, the coverts character appears fairly reliable. Since the coverts are pale it should be Cassin's. (Other characters like Cassin's white malar also seem to be variable.)

Looks fine for Western Kingbird. Cassin's may have a pale outer edge to the outer rectrices, but the whole web is white in this bird. The throat is too pale for Cassin's and it lacks the contrasting pale white malar.

Andy

According to Sibley Western Kingbird would not be in range at this time of year?

I note that there are contrasting pale edges to greater coverts and median coverts, is this a feature for WK?

Looking at the white malar which is present...albeit it's efficacy is somewhat reduced by the sun bleaching to the chest?

Cheers

I think structurally it looks better for Cassin's. Chunkier bird, chunkier head, heavier looking bill. Agree colour looks washed out in this shot making it look more Westerny. ...but I don't live among these (wonderful) things.

I think it is relevant to pull up this thread for comparison: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369105

My initial impression was Cassin but the end result was late Western. I am starting to think that the white area below the eye goes back too far behind the eye for Cassin also in the OP photo. Are there any additional photos?

Niels

Hi All,

Looking at the kingbird in its entirety should lead us to the conclusion that it is an overexposed, poorly lit Cassin's Kingbird. The slightly blockier head, strong edgings to the wing coverts, and dark charcoal gray crown (despite being well lit) suggest Cassin's. The tail looks just fine for species too, often showing extensive buff-white to the outer vane of the outermost feather, especially at this time of year. Status wise, we can get some clues too. Checking this heavily birded area on eBird reveals that a small number of Cassin's Kingbirds are wintering in and around Griffin Park, seen by multiple observers. Elsewhere in Los Angeles I saw half a dozen or so this past week without effort. There are no January records of Western Kingbird (aside from a sight record from the central valley) anywhere in the western United States where it is considered rare after September.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back