• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-Tailed Paradise Whydah? (Botswana) (1 Viewer)

michael-ibk

Taken in Khwai, Botswana, Feb 9th. Not quite sure about this one - a female Long-Tailed Paradise Whydah? Heavy crop here, so not the best quality.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• large_ID20.JPG.9c57b89ca3371bc5c7f104994e43c75e.JPG
    large_ID20.JPG.9c57b89ca3371bc5c7f104994e43c75e.JPG
    575.4 KB · Views: 20
  • large_ID21.JPG.d77a0eeb5d30bde29def3ebefd275a99.JPG
    large_ID21.JPG.d77a0eeb5d30bde29def3ebefd275a99.JPG
    692.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi Michael,

The bill seems to be pale (i.e. not red (Shaft-tailed) or black (Long-tailed, even juvenile it seems)), and the legs dark (i.e. not red (Shaft-tailed)). The face is marked (Shaft-tailed female markings are not strong) but not black (like Long-tailed female on the face).

Of the three vidua possibilities in the area, I therefore think this best fits female Pin-tailed Whydah.

We saw Pin-tailed (male) at Mahangu in the Caprivi Strip, so I don't see why you wouldn't see it at Khwai which is not far at all.

But this is just what I would have thought if it were my own photo. Maybe someone with more experience will have a more confident opinion than me. It's difficult to know about regional variation - for example Pin-tailed females in east Africa seem to have darker bills judging from the books, and my experience in east Africa, but the Sasol guide specifically highlights the pale bill of the female in southern Africa.

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

The bill seems to be pale (i.e. not red (Shaft-tailed) or black (Long-tailed, even juvenile it seems)), and the legs dark (i.e. not red (Shaft-tailed)). The face is marked (Shaft-tailed female markings are not strong) but not black (like Long-tailed female on the face).

Of the three vidua possibilities in the area, I therefore think this best fits female Pin-tailed Whydah.

We saw Pin-tailed (male) at Mahangu in the Caprivi Strip, so I don't see why you wouldn't see it at Khwai which is not far at all.

But this is just what I would have thought if it were my own photo. Maybe someone with more experience will have a more confident opinion than me. It's difficult to know about regional variation (for example Pin-tailed females in east Africa seem to have darker bills judging from the books, and my experience in east Africa, but the Sasol guide specifically highlights the pale bill of the female in southern Africa.

I agree with your assessment, MacNara. Pin tailed Whydah female does appear to fit the best.

Many thanks MacNara and Andy Hurley, I initially excluded Pin-Tailed because I found some pictures which show the female with a much more reddish bill but it shold be black when breeding (as in February). And the Roberts app also states the bill colour is very variable. And Pin-Tailed is definitely there. While Shaft-Tailed is the default species I did see at least one (gorgeous) male in Moremi.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back