• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Widowbird (?) from Gabon, 01/08/19 (1 Viewer)

michael-ibk

I know Widowbirds are often unsolvable but the males here look distinctive enough. But I can´t find a good match. I assume all birds are the same species, they were in one flock. My best guess is Yellow-Mantled Widowbird between plumages but shouldn´t there be some Yellow somewhere? Or am I on the completely wrong track? Taken in Boué, a small town in Central Gabon.

And a "bonus": An extreme crop so atrocious quality. Taken in Ivindo NP in the middle of the rainforest. Very Flycatcher-like, sitting very high and always returning to that branch. Couldit be an African Broadbill?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 348_Ivindo.JPG
    348_Ivindo.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 350_Ivindo.JPG
    350_Ivindo.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 353_Ivindo.JPG
    353_Ivindo.JPG
    643.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 361_Ivindo.JPG
    361_Ivindo.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 568_Ivindo.JPG
    568_Ivindo.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 42
Jean Francois:

Many thanks, Y-MWB seems like the most likely candidate. What is confusing me is that there´s really no yellow to speak of and the male should keep the shoulder patches in all plumages?

Black-Throated Canary does not occur in that area though.

Y-MWB seems like the most likely candidate. What is confusing me is that there´s really no yellow to speak of and the male should keep the shoulder patches in all plumages?
You see yellow playing on the light and zooming in.

Attachments

• Y-MWB male_Ivindo.JPG
    Y-MWB male_Ivindo.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 12
YMW in non-breeding conditions only show yellow to the lesser coverts and those are concealed here. I think it’s the correct species in this case. But always tricky, especially when taken out of context.

Bird 2 is an Ussher’s flycatcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back