• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (1 Viewer)

I hope its not a problem if I go back in time - I wasn't on this board when I was working in Alaska. My bird of the day one day was a dark-eyed junco, the only one I've ever seen. I'd read about them in a few articles I read for my research project, and one day as I was doing some clean-up at the boardwalk, a handsome junco landed on a branch right at eye level next to me. In retrospect, I curse the fact that it was the one day that I forgot to bring my camera, but then I think I was so surprised that I would have missed the photo anyway. It was the Oregon race.

A really Mega bird for northwest Missouri is the Painted Bunting.

Today as I was driving my regular route on the back roads around the oxbow lakes region just south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, I chanced upon this species. It was a very unexpected bird. It perched on a low, un-leafed branch about 20 feet away from me. It was a beautifully plumaged, male. The sun was behind me and it was truly a sight to behold! This species normally occurs in extreme southwestern Missouri. I do not think one has ever been sighted here in extreme northwestern Missouri, where I do most of my birding. It was a very exciting and unexpected surprise!

Larry, Nice bird! I would love to see a Painted Bunting!

My bird of the day was a Northern Parula, even though I only got a quick look.

I'm you like Briddo, the tui bird (native to NZ) is quite common here.. but it's one of my favorite birds. It sings pleasant music which cheers up my day =D

It was funny

Eastern Quail which I got chased by. I did not have much of a chance to get a good photo or see exactly what kind but she was mad with me. I guess the spot I had chosen to sit and watch the wood line and the field was the wrong one.:eek!::-O

Broad Winged Hawk. It flew well, but looked and acted like a clueless youngster. Is it too early for this year to have a half way fledged bird?

Rather nice surprise on my cycle to work. I stopped at the footbridge across the White Cart Water, locally known as the Silver Bridge because of its colour. (South side of Glasgow, UK for more distant readers). Anyway, as I was leaning on the rail a kingfisher flew beneath the bridge, alighted on a nearby branch with fish in its beak. After stroking the fish against the branch a few times ate the fish, dived into the river and then flew off upstream.

Quite magical and set me up for the day!

Great views

I know what you mean when you say that sometimes it isn't the new year bird or the lifer but a really good view.

Warblers are always hard for me. They migrate through and don't spend a whole lot of time here but when they are here they are busy flitting about in the tops of the trees. Any good view of them is a good day.

One of our resident warblers is the Northern Parula. It is easy to id by song and this is usually what I have to do but early this month I was fortunate to be with a group of birders on a count when they spotted one on a dead branch right out in the open--not 6 feet above the water on a pond. It sat there for quite some time, letting me get a great long look. Five years and finally a view of one.

Awoke to a bright yellow-green flash outside the bedroom window. Jumped out of bed, grabbed the bedside bins for a quick check, and .......

bingo: male Wilson's Warbler. A first for me.

Bird of the day today for me was male Kentucky warbler . not a life bird but finally got to get good close view of a singing male. I had heard there was one calling near to where i am staying so waited and waited patiently over a couple of days and finally saw him !!

A pair of Tree Pipits found locally was a nice surprise earlier today. Just watching for ages flying up and parachuting down made my day.
Also adult Meadow Pipits with food going to nest and a pair of Nuthatch doing the same, and then a singing Pied Flycatcher to top it off. :t:

Hi good to hear from a fellow Derbyshire lad !!! where are you looking at the birds you wrote about i guess somewhere north of Matlock ? i used to live in Beeley .

Hi good to hear from a fellow Derbyshire lad !!! where are you looking at the birds you wrote about i guess somewhere north of Matlock ? i used to live in Beeley .

Hi Briddo13. Actually it was a bit South of Matlock. I was walking through Shiningcliff woods in Ambergate where I had the Pied Fly and many other birds.

The Pipits were off the path towards Alderwasley school. I've always thought that area had some potential but the Tree Pipits was a bit of a surprise.

A Connecticut Warbler. It took awhile to get one this spring, but they are the latest warblers to return. It was one of 25 warbler species I saw today. I love days like this.

Today was awesome. I found six good birds at one of the trails close to my home: Viriginia Rail (first of the year), Solitary Sandpiper (first of the year), a male Scarlet Tanager sitting in the sunshine (a great view of a colourful bird), Clay-colored Sparrow (saw my first one ever yesterday and didn't realize they were so close to home until today), Nashville Warbler (first one seen here in Ottawa...they breed here) and Purple Finch (first of the year).

I think the bird of the day has to be the Virginia Rail. I love these little guys, and this one was poking around in the mud practically right in front of me for a good five minutes!

Well my bird(s) of yesterday were the family of little owls in the outbuildng in the paddock behind our house.

My wife and I spent a very enjoyable hour till the light faded, with the telescope set up in our lounge yesterday evening watching the 2 adults feeding the 3 (I think) chicks. I did not dare move any closer to get a good photo....the nest is about 80 or 90 metres from the house.

Initially we saw one adult out in the field, and then realised there was a face in the hole of the nest, peering out. When I focussed the scope I could see it opening it mouth calling, so that I could isolate the sound it made from the background noises. After a while our ears became 'tuned' and we could clearly hear a high-pitched 'sssritt'. The boldest chick was sticking its head right out of the hole,and at first we thought there was only one. But eventually the others got bolder too, with at one point all 3 heads squashed into the opening, looking a bit like an owl version of the video clip in "Bohemian Rhapsody"!

It was really uplifting to watch.

K.

Prairie Falcon near Oxbow Lakes Region South of Saint Joseph

I usually get this bird about this time every year here in northwestern Missouri.

There he (she) was perched atop a tall, utility-wire pole, just waiting for me to take a look. Then off it flew and I was able to see the "tell-tell" black auxillaries!

It is a neat bird!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back