• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican Hawk (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
This shot was taken near Santa Elena, Costa Rica, at about 1400m, in December.

Looks to me like a Broad-winged Hawk from my book but I'm not familiar with the bird. Sadly appears to be one of the commonest, too!

Am I right?

Andrew

Attachments

• CR Hawk.jpg
    CR Hawk.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 233
Hi Andrew,
Looks good for B. platypterus as you suspect. The tips of the primaries are black. Brown iris, yellow beak with blackish tip, breast and belly barred, booted appearance, alternating broad black and white tail barring with white tips on the retrices. All good for the Broad-winged.

Although those somewhat rufous looking primaries reminded me of a Roadside Hawk (Buteo magnirostris), malar stripes and tail design identify it as a Broad-winged. Rufous probably comes from the strong Costa Rica sunlight. Roadside is rare at best in Santa Elena.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back