• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

URGENT: Baby Birds In Rain, No MOM. What do we do? (1 Viewer)

carol C

We have a nest of three-day-old Anna's Hummingbirds outside our window. Their mom hasn't shown up in two hours, and it is raining (with high winds). We fear that she has been harmed in the storm, and are considering taking them inside. It is now about eleven O'Clock PM. We need any help we can get!!!
Please someone help!!!!

Last edited:
While it may be tempting to intervene just think what harm you may do by moving these babies if the mom does come back. She probably just held up by the rain and when she comes back she wants to find her babies where she left them, she may abandon them if you interfere.

Sounds like you are doing all you can by keeping an eye on them.

Hi carol c,

Welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

You should leave the nest alone, however hard that may seem. If the adult does return and finds no nest they may abandon the babies and the chances of you being able to raise these birds is almost zero.

It is also illegal in the US to raise a wild bird - see guidelines here on the care of baby birds.

What was the outcome of the nest removal? Did the nestlings survive? If so, did you replace the nest where you removed it? Did an adult bird return?

While it may be an old wife's tale, fiddling with the nest, I've saved many a small birds in my life. Small eye dropper for food. Find what the birds diet is and simulate it.

Avoid any temptation to "handle" the birds. The best thing you can do is to feed them right were they are. They will eat and sleep, that's all they do. Anna's also eat flying insects. Put a fly trap out with some sweet sugar smell in it. Grind up the insects you catch and put them in the eye dropper.

Don't be disapointed if the birds do not respond to your feeding attemps, some will, many will not. Let them tell you when they are hungry.

I have the same issue, but in our case one chick fell out of the nest since it was so small. I hesitate for that reason to put it back in. Any suggestions in this situation? Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

I have the same issue, but in our case one chick fell out of the nest since it was so small. I hesitate for that reason to put it back in. Any suggestions in this situation? Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

Put it back in the nest - it's an old wive's tale that birds will abandon their young if touched by humans - plenty of birds are ringed at the nest without problems.

welcome to birdforum too!

The Anna's that hatched in my backyard were born during a storm. The Mom left them alone for awhile and they were fine. It is normal for them to be left alone and to be rained on. The Mom knows what she is doing since she needs to feed and groom herself in order to care for them and bring them the food that they need. There was one male and one female who are still enjoying the yard one year later after the Mom left for good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back