• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hatchling Identification from fallen Tree (1 Viewer)

saddlebagsoph

Hi!
I just joined this forum since I needed some help identifying hatchlings I found in a fallen tree in my yard. We had a huge storm today and a big tree in my yard fell over and we discovered the hatchlings flung far from the nest under the tree as we were cutting it up to move it out of the street. I delivered them safely to the nearest Human Society Wild Life Rehab Center and hope they will be ok but I was just curious as to what birds they are. Here is a picture - I think they might have just hatched in the past 24 hours since they are so bare and their eyes were all still shut. They were pretty large for hatchlings so I think they might be birds of prey? But that is a complete guess. Thanks!
D49E1DA5-8CCA-4688-8747-E6BB7F5A665D.jpg 2D07FBEE-12BD-410E-AAD1-AB94197B86F9.jpg

Hi. Quite sad, really, but hopefully they'll be OK. The clue for their ID is on their feet: 2 toes pointing forwards and 2 backwards: they're woodpeckers, but I can't guess the exact species.
Welcome to Birdforum.

Hi saddlebagsoph and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Fingers crossed for the little ones. If you hear anything, would you please let us know how they get on please.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you for the welcomes and for the ID Rafael! My neighbors and family were excited to find out what kind of bird they are. Also, it now makes sense why I did not find them in a typical nest.

I just called the wildlife center for an update and unfortunately, one of the four passed overnight. Otherwise, the other three are looking good and gaping. Hopefully, they make it through this traumatic time. The woman at the wildlife center said they got over 150 baby birds yesterday following the big storm, 7 sets of woodpeckers and ours were the youngest. Very sad to see what a big storm does especially at this time of year, but also great that people took the time to bring the birds there for help.

Hi saddlebagsoph and thanks so much for the update.

I'm sorry, of course, to hear that one hasn't made it. Fingers cross now for the other three.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back