• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Anxious New Girl (1 Viewer)

nomad

HI
I have only been a member for a few hours now. I do not think I have ever sat in front of a computer this long .
BUT I am dying for someone:"ANYBODY" to view a photo of a white cardinal I posted in member galleries. I know it is not a good photo. But you are able to see what the bird looks like. This web sight is Awesome....
I will try to get photo attached to this.
I will be so embarassed if it is no big deal at all.

Attachments

• yesbird[1].jpg
    yesbird[1].jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 486
Hi Nomad, I think you will have to wait for a US member to tell you if your Cardinal is unusual or not, Im sure someone will be around soon. For what its worth I think its a lighter than usual female and not an Albino.

yes and it is the same size of the male.
I wish the picture was better. because the white is so bright. the wings and tale are flamingo pink, black circles around the eyes and a red beek. It is always hanging out with a male.

I'm looking, I'm looking already!.... Yes indeed, a white Cardinal, is the Pope Catholic? Partially leucistic which means not completely albino, but, Nomad, did you paint it? I can: your attachment is off your MS 'Paint' program!

No I did not paint it. That is what i use to size my photo and save it I did try to brighten it but that didn't work. The photo was further away I cropped it then resized so I could see the bird better. But you just do not seem as excited as I was..

I did not realize the whole program came with it. I know not to use that again I do not know what I did to send the whole program....

Hi nomad, try to post it in jpg or jpeg (same thing) format uncropped and I'll see if I can get a better version with my software. BMP is only good for wallpaper.

See, nomad, how fast you get responses. There are a lot of good birders (twitchers) viewing this site. Thanks for posting your photo.

Larry

Thank You I will do that another time I am going blind from being on the computer so long. I am not so great on the computer and having a hard time resizing this photo. This bird has put me through hell From trying to get its picture straight through trying to share the darn picture.
Getting Moody

Well I'm off to search out your photo in the gallery Nomad but first a warm welcome from me and the rest of the Moderators and Admin here at BirdForum. Hope you keep coming back cause we have so much to offer.

Although I haven't yet looked at your picture, I'll tell you that I have a female cardinal coming to my feeders that has a belly and chest that is very much paler than usual. It's quite distinct and makes her stand out from the other females. The rest of her feathering is very much like the others, except that she doesn't have as bright a red wash on her crest and wings. So I'm thinking she's leucistic -- definitely not albino (those are completely white, and would have a pink eye). She is a pretty little thing!!

Welcome to the forum, Nomad. You're gonna be spending a lot more time on the computer -- this site is addictive!!

Last edited:
Mornin', Nomad. Leucism is a deficiency of pigment (coloration) which makes the feathering almost white; albinism is the complete lack of pigment, which makes the feathers white and the eyes red (because you can see the blood flowing in them). Both conditions are genetically determined.

Now now, no need to shout. I actually think Leucistic is not the proper spelling if you have been trying to look it up, but it refers to lacking color or albinoism in the bird world. Now I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong here.

I'm not 100% sure of the spelling, either, KC, but at least everyone knew what I meant -- essentially the same as a partial albino.

Whatever we call it, you've got a mighty purdy birdie there, Nomad!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back