• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need bird i.d. please (1 Viewer)

glazzers

I am a novice at birding but love the photography of birds. Can someone please help with the identification of this bird. photograph taken in Kruger Park, South Africa in August 2003

Attachments

• id help.jpg
    id help.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 406
I'll have a guess at a Monticola species (rockthrush), most likely Sentinel Rock Thrush (M. explorator) , but Sal or Robert in SA should give you a better idea soon

Michael

Last edited:
logos and michael. according to my SA book the short-toed rock thrush is not found in the Kruger area so it probably is more likely to be the male Sentiel Rock Thrush ????

Thanks guys for the info.

Maybe, but the SASOL Birds of Southern Africa describes a variable white cap as diagnostic of Short-toed. I wonder if the crown of Sentinel could bleach paler in the sun though.

Spud

Which guide are you using Glazzers? Just checked in the SASOL (which is normally regarded as the best in reviews) and neither of the possible species appears to occur within the Kruger area!?

Spud

When I looked in my Thrushes book, my first thought was Short-toed because of the pale crown, but I deleted that (hence the edit mark on the post!) in favour of Sentinel when I looked at the range maps. I concluded that the pale crown could just be either sunlight glinting off the crown, and/or bleached feathering

Thrushes maps Sentinel much more widespread in northeast South Africa, but it is of course a very small-scale map that won't show local variations in presence.

Michael

I don't think the crown colour can be just a lighting effect. If it is a Sentinel Rock Thrush with a bleached crown I'd like to know so I can make a note in the SASOL guide.

Only ever birded in the Capetown area but would love to get to Kruger next time around.

Spud

Sentinel Rock Thrush - Nice photo, I can confirm that it is Monticola explorator. It is typical of the southern Kruger region, however I must say that as it is a species which prefers the more mountainous terrain, it is more commonly seen along the Drakensberg Escarpment adjacent to the Kruger. I have personally never seen a Rock Thrush in the Kruger itself, and without boasting that is in over 250 visits to the park.
Was it perhaps seen in the nearby Blyde River Canyon area?
Looking at all 4 species found in South Africa, the only other Rock Thrush it could be confused with would be the Short-toed, however this species is more confined to the drier arid regions and has a distinctive white cap, which I think is reflective sunlight in the picture above.

Robert

Gentlemen. I appear humbled. I have just checked my photographs again and seem to have made a mistake in the catelogue. I can now confirm that this photo was NOT taken inside Kruger Park, it was taken inside Pilanesberg National Park.
SORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY !!!

Hi Glazzers,

Doesn't that mean that the bird is within the core range of Short-toed but just outside the range of Sentinel?

Spud

Logos

I think you could be right and looking as close as I can at the photo I think it has a pale top on its head which the book says should be the Short- Toed ???

I do feel that the pale crown on this bird looks like a genuine feature rather than a lighting effect (the shape of the pale area doesn't seem to correspond with the contours of the head). That said I'll happily bow to Robert's far greater experience of the two species if he still feels it's a Sentinel now that the true location is known.

Do you recall what habitat it was in?

Spud

logos. It was sitting on a small tree in the Pilanesberg National Park which is mainly open grassland a bit like kruger park but not as bushy

I have been to the pilansberg reserve dozens of times, when I stayed downroute in J/burg, I have to tell you I was very dissapointed every time, saw a smattering of gazelle, a young female giraffe, a hippo, loads of bee eaters and thats about it?
The best bit was Sun city, great place but deserted? hogged the pool and wave machine every time!! I will post some pics tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back