• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinch feeding? (1 Viewer)

Big D

Hardly ever see Bullfinches in my garden but I had a pair in the garden today, they were about to hop onto the hanging seed feeder containing sunflower hearts but a tit landed nearby and scared them off. Sadly I didn't see them return :C

So what do they normally feed on in gardens, and do they usually feed from hanging feeders or on bird tables?

Hardly ever see Bullfinches in my garden but I had a pair in the garden today, they were about to hop onto the hanging seed feeder containing sunflower hearts but a tit landed nearby and scared them off. Sadly I didn't see them return :C

So what do they normally feed on in gardens, and do they usually feed from hanging feeders or on bird tables?

I used to get them regularly, but, sadly, they've now become scarce visitors. They will feed on a table or a feeder with perches, and go for seed, especially sunflowers. They're most often seen in gardens in June/July time when they've young to feed. If it was their first visit to have a look around, having seen other birds moving about, they may well come back, hope they do!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back