• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinops Vierthaler 1852 (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
The Richmond Index has [a card] for this name, which says:
Trinops Vierthaler, 1852
Naumannia II, heft i, 1852, 48.
Trinops cristatus. Can this be Corythaeola cristata ?
The Key currently has [an entry] reflecting this:
Trinops
(?syn. Corythaeola) Gr. τρεις treis, τριων triōn three; ωψ ōps, ωπος ōpos eye, countenance; "14. Jan. Wir passiren das Dorf Charnife, erreichen Khendi mit einem Sumpfe, und erlegen bis zum 16ten Folgendes: ... Trinops cristatus wurde nur zweimal angetroffen und zwar in Gesellschaften von 8-12" (Vierthaler 1852).
However, Vierthaler 1852 [here] did not use "Trinops", but actually Trionops. (And the region he described in this work (the Blue Nile from Khartoum, through Sennar, to Roseires, in present-day Sudan) doesn't seem to make Corythaeola a likely possibility. Or, at least, it would not be one nowadays.)

I think Trionops Vierthaler 1852 is a mere misspelling of Prionops Vieillot 1816. (The nominal species cited by Vierthaler being then Prionops cristatus Rüppell 1836 [OD]; now a ssp of Prionops plumatus (Shaw 1809). Vierthaler mentioned this species (with the generic name correctly spelled "Prionops", 2nd § of p. 46 of the work) as having been collected during the immediately preceding days.)

Agreed, Laurent - Prionops it is. I must have had writer's cramp when I first quoted Vierthaler 1852 - either that or old age galloping on (I wonder, where is the nearest old folks home?)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back