Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Are Redwings in UK yet?

Old Friday 20th October 2017, 17:21   #1
stevethehydra

Are Redwings in UK yet?

Today in Headingley, Leeds I saw a flock of maybe 15-20 birds pass overhead that were about the same size and shape as Starlings, but the flight style and flock organisation was notably different - the flock was fairly loose with birds overtaking each other, splitting off and rejoining, and the flight style seemed thrush-like with flapping alternating with gliding (as opposed to a similarly sized flock of Starlings seen an hour or so later which stayed tightly together with each bird preserving its place in the unit, and fast, constant flapping).

They were silhouetted against a grey sky and passing over quickly so I didn't try to photograph them, therefore don't expect a definite ID, but the only thing I could think of that fit was Redwings - while I have seen Mistle Thrushes flocking together in groups of maybe 8-10, I've never seen as many as this together and they seemed much too small for Mistle (while simultaneously much too big for sparrows, finches etc). However I thought it was a bit early for Redwings to be this far south yet... am I wrong? Is there anything else plausible they could have been?
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 17:27   #2
Johnny1

Been in this area of Lancashire for nearly 2 weeks now, in fact I had my first Fieldfares today.
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 18:31   #3
Alexjh1

I had a flock about a week ago in Northants briefly, so I would think it's possible.
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 19:09   #4
stevethehydra

Thanks, I'll be looking out for them if there are any upcoming days with better lighting then!
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 19:30   #5
Jon Turner

Only a few reached Scilly in the last week.
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 20:49   #6
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1 View Post
Been in this area of Lancashire for nearly 2 weeks now, in fact I had my first Fieldfares today.
In small numbers for the past 2-3 weeks, but in the last couple of days they've really been flooding in, with e.g. over 90,000 counted yesterday along the UK east coast (and that's probably only a small fraction of the actual numbers):
https://twitter.com/SteelySeabirder/...04985878614016
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 08:09   #7
Cinereous

They've been reported at Slimbridge this week...
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 08:52   #8
AllanM

Standing on cliff, in thick fog, at Flamborough on Thursday and could hear flocks coming in off the sea over head. Just couldn't see them!
Old Sunday 22nd October 2017, 07:02   #9
patkin

fieldfares were reported a week ago at Paxton pits in huntingdonshire and they and redwings travel together.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: