Barthel PH & Krüger T 2018: Checklist of the birds of Germany. Vogelwarte 56: 171-203
I can be found here
However this list has sparked some controversy and there's many things that should be discussed, even though the authors made a statement along the lines of "This list is science, science is not politics and therefore discussion is obsolete", which I think is absolutely wrong!
From what I have heard quite many German birders are unhappy with the outcome of this list, that had been awaited so eagerly for such a long time.
Here's what's new and could be discussed
- Systematics and taxonomy now follow IOC
- Many German vernacular names have been changed, including very charismatic ones like "Ziegenmelker" (European Nightjar), "Katzenvogel" (Grey Catbird). All names that used to be two words have been changed to one word names, e.g. "Dunkler Sturmtaucher" has become "Dunkelsturmtaucher" or "Großer Knutt" has become "Anadyrknutt"
- Not new, but the acceptance into category A is handled very restrictive. Species like Snow Goose, Demoiselle Crane and several former category D species (see below) are being rejected unless there is very strong support (like rings) to support their wild provenience
- Several introduced species that had just recently been added to the German list on the basis of a paper published in 2016 have been reassigned to Category E on dubious grounds. This includes Bar-headed, SNow and Swan Goose, Black Swan, Sacred Ibis, Ural Owl, Yellow-headed Amazon and Alexandrine Parakeet. Somehow Chilean Flamingo made it to category D
- Many assumed ship-assisted birds were simply put into Category E. This includes Red Fox Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Brown-headed Cowbird. However other birds were included in category A (e.g. Mourning Dove, Grey Catbird, several North American Warblers, Vireos and Thrushes)
- Many species that were formerly in Category D were downgraded to Category E, this includes Barrow's Goldeneye, Daurian Jackdaw, White-crowned Wheatear, Rose-breasted Grosbeak and others
- Band-rumped Storm-petrel was quietly deleted from the list without any commentary
I have been waiting for a long time now for this updated list. However, given the many things I disagree with and the arrogant statement I mentioned above, I don't think that I will follow (m)any of the decisions of this list