• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iveragh-where to watch chough? (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi, I am currently on a family holiday in Killorglin. Is there any possibility to see chough anywhere close?
Or if there is a reliable site on Dingle or Beara, that would also be interesting.

Concerning seabirds ,do I have a chance to see European storm petrel on a boat trip round the Skelligs?

Many thanks in advance,
Jörn

I don't know a specific site in Kerry, but any headland with some cliffs and coastal fields should give you a decent chance of chough. Brandon Point might be near to you with chough.
Storm petrel is a possibility but it might be a bit early. Again, Brandon Point in a westerly or north westerly wind could give you something interesting.
I don't think there are red grouse in Kerry - you need to go to Wicklow.
regards
Paul

Paul's advice is spot on Joern! Eric Dempsey & Michael O'Clerys' excellent book "Finding Birds in Ireland" gives Brandon Point as a reliable spot for chough and 'with suitable winds, one of the finest seawatching locations in Europe'! Good luck!

Chris

You could try trickling Cod Liver Oil off the back of the boat as you go around in the boat, that should bring the Storm Petrels in to within range, and usually within minutes of doing so. I've done a lot of seawatching off the Co. Cork coast, usually in August, and had no problem seeing numbers of Storm Petrel during the day, one interesting thing about my sightings were that I only saw the petrels up to about midday, after that I didn't see any until nearer dusk.

Hi all, thanks for the advice!

I have seen Chough at Waterville ,walking the beach north of the village towards the low cliffs. One fly-over adult ,one fly-over juvenile and two adults flying around the cliffs. Added bonus was a mediterranean gull at the same beach and two whimbrel.

concerning boating trips they all goin the afternoon. Had one round the Skelligs with Manx shearwater, puffin , Gannet, razorbill, guillemot, black guillemot (the latter only at start and return in Portmagee),northern fulmar , shag, kittiwake, great blackbacked,lesser blackbacked,common and herring gull, a common bussard (near coast,flying overseebut straight to the nearest land),and a single small dark, whiterumped storm petrel with tail appearing square,but didnt see andy white band on the underwing. Not really sure what the latter was.

Walter,boat tours to watch birds seem to be all in the afternoon....

maybe I'll still try Brandon head,if i can convince the family .

Not all birding boat trips go out in the afternoon, I did one with shearwater tours and that left first thing in the morning, we saw plenty of Stormies and a number of Wilson's too. My comments about seeing them in the morning referred to sea watching from land. Having looked back through some note books I have seen them from land during the afternoon too, but in nowhere near the numbers as the morning. There's a pretty good chance the petrel you saw was a Stormie. Going round the Skelligs I'm surprised there weren't more seen, should have tried the Cod Liver Oil trick.

Hi all, thanks for the advice!

I have seen Chough at Waterville ,walking the beach north of the village towards the low cliffs. One fly-over adult ,one fly-over juvenile and two adults flying around the cliffs. Added bonus was a mediterranean gull at the same beach and two whimbrel.

concerning boating trips they all goin the afternoon. Had one round the Skelligs with Manx shearwater, puffin , Gannet, razorbill, guillemot, black guillemot (the latter only at start and return in Portmagee),northern fulmar , shag, kittiwake, great blackbacked,lesser blackbacked,common and herring gull, a common bussard (near coast,flying overseebut straight to the nearest land),and a single small dark, whiterumped storm petrel with tail appearing square,but didnt see andy white band on the underwing. Not really sure what the latter was.

Walter,boat tours to watch birds seem to be all in the afternoon....

maybe I'll still try Brandon head,if i can convince the family .

You will need a scope if taking on Brandon.
Walk east along the cliff from the car park and position yourself here somewhere in a suitable hollow.

Dropped pin
Near Murirrigane, Co. Kerry, Ireland
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LQVvVMx23kwib9m97

Thursday in the North Westerly wind looks to be your best bet.

There's nothing for your family to do out there though, so abandon them in Dingle for the day.

As with all seawatching... early start is best. 7a.m onwards.

Wednesday will produce a South Westerly, in which case here is the place to be.

http://kerrybirding.blogspot.com/p/fantastic-new-seawatching-spot-in-co.html?m=1

Best of luck.

Owen

Not all birding boat trips go out in the afternoon, I did one with shearwater tours and that left first thing in the morning, we saw plenty of Stormies and a number of Wilson's too. My comments about seeing them in the morning referred to sea watching from land. Having looked back through some note books I have seen them from land during the afternoon too, but in nowhere near the numbers as the morning. There's a pretty good chance the petrel you saw was a Stormie. Going round the Skelligs I'm surprised there weren't more seen, should have tried the Cod Liver Oil trick.

Shearwater tours is, however, based out of west Cork. You could try and charter a boat out of Dingle, but it's very expensive and without chum, not much use.

If you can head south to west Cork for a day or two, and get on one of the whale watching tours it would be worthwhile, (shearwater wildlife tours not posting a pelagic date online until August I note).

Owen

thanks again, but I didn´t take the scope with me.

will try the 4h eco marine tour from Ventry, Dingle, tomorrow.

I will report what we see ....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back