Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What was your Spark Bird???

Old Wednesday 11th December 2019, 13:18   #1
Puffins4Life
Puffins4Life

What was your Spark Bird???

"Spark Bird" being - The bird that helped spark your interest in birding. It helped open your eyes to the incredible beauty, mystery and excitement of birds and nature. It's a pivotal moment where your world is changed, and there's no way you are going back!

Mine was 100% the Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis).

How about everyone else??!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_kingf2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	712318  
Old Wednesday 11th December 2019, 21:27   #2
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

These, nesting in the local park in Denmark when I was staying with grandparents as a kid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9654a.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	716.7 KB
ID:	712344  
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 12:32   #3
rollingthunder

I had been birding for 3 or 4 years and spent a coupla weeks in Dorset legit and wild camping the latter usually in a pub beer garden (my Uncle would vouch for me). I was sat at the end of Portland Bill on a very foggy mid-April morning with just the honking lighthouse for company.....

Out of the mist came something totally unexpected - my first Hoopoe
It landed a few yards away and I was gobsmacked and got to musing howand where it originated. From then my passion for migration ignited This aspect has not diminished and i have managed to visit key hotspots in the Western Palearctic and will hopefully continue to do so - my ‘bucket list’ trip to Eilat this coming March has been finalised and the addition of WizzAir flying to Ramon is a bonus

Later that same day i flushed my first Wryneck from Chesil Beach along with a Spoonbill nearby (Lifer) and saw a small party of Black Terns at Radipole completing four ticks in, for me, a truly eye-popping day but it is the Hoopoe that sticks in my mind’s eye.

Laurie -
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 12:47   #4
andreadawn
BF Supporter 2020

I never had a "Spark Bird". As a child I spent most of my time in the woods or on the beach by myself. My interest in the natural world just developed from that, helped somewhat by my dad who was an expert all round naturalist. My interest in birds is just part of a wider interest in the world. There was no one pivotal moment when my world changed.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 13:58   #5
aeshna5

I've been into wildlife since I was about 5 years old despite living in urban London + no family with such interests but I'm sure mine was sparked by feeding the ducks in a local park, so it was probably Mallard. I've always been passionate about wildfowl + have been a WeBS counter for probably over 30 years now.
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 15:25   #6
Mark S
Love Nature

For me it has to be the Robin. My heart has a little flutter when I see a Robin. I went fishing one day and this Robin sat next to me for ages, looking at my tub of maggots, I put a few down and he came back and forth for a few minutes and ended with a song. Perfect day.
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 16:19   #7
Farnboro John

There isn't a bird that got me into birding - it was general inquisitiveness about the things I saw around me coupled with a particular interest in nature - but the bird that got me into twitching was probably a Red-breasted Goose in the Hampshire Avon Valley and it's still a favourite species for me, a stunning looking goose.

John
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 17:38   #8
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
There isn't a bird that got me into birding - it was general inquisitiveness about the things I saw around me coupled with a particular interest in nature - but the bird that got me into twitching was probably a Red-breasted Goose in the Hampshire Avon Valley and it's still a favourite species for me, a stunning looking goose.

John
Ditto, I was amazed as a small boy, to find that I could go outside and see some of the things that I'd seen in my books.
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 19:55   #9
Julie50

I did not start with one specific bird, but became hooked (and the closest I got to twitching) when I did a 1 mile walk through Shirley Park in Birmingham to see a birch tree full waxwings - amazing!
Latest tick: Glaucous Gull
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 12:08   #10
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

The Blackbird was the bird that got me interested, I loved its call and still do, it wasn't until much later I realised the yellow ring around the eye was feathers I thought their eyes were actually yellow. When I decided to make my website I choose The Blackbird as my logo for The Edinburgh Birdwatcher.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th December 2019, 13:09   #11
opisska
Jan Ebr

I did not gave any bird to get me into birding, but I had a certainly defining moment when I went to twitch the Galcuous-winged Gull in Ireland - that's when I became interested in WP birding and WP rarities and that has really changed my birding. Some would say for the worse :) But it's quite motivating!
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 13:30   #12
temmie

Eurasian Golden Oriole.

I didn't even see it (back in 1995), only heard it and that song was enough to got me hooked.

I still have to see my first in Belgium sitting in a tree (only saw them on migration, or in other European countries).

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th December 2019, 15:01   #13
WACCOE
Marching on Together

I'd stopped birding at about age 12 only got back into in my mid-twenties grandparents had moved to Filey and my granddad mentioned G N Diver he'd seen recently off the Brigg that sparked my re-interest.
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 16:47   #14
Johnny1

During a period of unemployment I began to take walks around the local fields to relieve the boredom of not working, one morning a Curlew flew over calling, I can still hear it now, that Curlew calling re-ignited my love of birding.
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 17:08   #15
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello,

Long eared owls in Central Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Old Sunday 15th December 2019, 11:32   #16
Jay_Feather
Birder

For me it would have to be the Eurasian jay

Last edited by Jay_Feather : Sunday 15th December 2019 at 11:39.
Old Sunday 15th December 2019, 11:48   #17
Kibet

The Corn Bunting. I wonder if it would have happened with a more distinctive bird.

I asked someone "what is that bird?" about twenty times and every answer was "Corn Bunting", and to me they looked like different birds. A few months later, I was in Japan (with no birding in between) and had listed what I saw in an email, then realised how much I had learned just from that trip.

To me, trying to work out the bird and failing is still as rewarding as correctly identifying. Taking a bad photo of a bird still brings me the memory of the moment as much as a good photo. Watching a common bird going about a task can be just as nice as coming across a bird I had not seen before.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: