Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdfair 2020

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:01   #1
Birdforum

Birdfair 2020

The Olympics today have been officially cancelled until 2021, when will Birdfair declare its intentions?
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:16   #2
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdforum View Post
The Olympics today have been officially cancelled until 2021, when will Birdfair declare its intentions?
Even if it goes ahead, there is a huge, foreign contingent who may struggle to get a flight here and without them, there would be little point having it on anyway.

So many unknowns, if people get to the UK, will there be any accommodation available?

Someone on here must be able to drop Tim Appleton a line, I think Franko has his details...............

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 12:19.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 06:57   #3
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Here's what they wrote on the Birdfair website.

We regularly and carefully monitor the rapidly evolving situation and take official guidance from Public Health England and associated authorities.

Our current status with regard to the COVID-19 virus remains unchanged and Birdfair 2020 will go ahead as normal: the health and safety of our exhibitors, visitors and staff is our number one priority.

We strongly urge our exhibitors and visitors to refer to the guidelines and protocols as suggested by the WHO ( www.who.int) and the UK public health authorities regarding the virus.

We will share and communicate any updates for Birdfair promptly and widely, including specific communications for those directly involved in the event. Public Health England information can be viewed online:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-no...for-the-public

Please check back to this page and our website for our most up to date information.

https://birdfair.org.uk/2020/02/27/c...-and-birdfair/

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 10:03   #4
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan Buchan View Post
Here's what they wrote on the Birdfair website.

We regularly and carefully monitor the rapidly evolving situation and take official guidance from Public Health England and associated authorities.

Our current status with regard to the COVID-19 virus remains unchanged and Birdfair 2020 will go ahead as normal: the health and safety of our exhibitors, visitors and staff is our number one priority.

We strongly urge our exhibitors and visitors to refer to the guidelines and protocols as suggested by the WHO ( www.who.int) and the UK public health authorities regarding the virus.

We will share and communicate any updates for Birdfair promptly and widely, including specific communications for those directly involved in the event. Public Health England information can be viewed online:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-no...for-the-public

Please check back to this page and our website for our most up to date information.

https://birdfair.org.uk/2020/02/27/c...-and-birdfair/
That assumes that a considerable reduction in restrictions will allow it. According to the graph data illustrating if self-isolation is maintained (The 'flattening graph' indicating that nationwide, the NHS should cope), the peak levels expected next month would continue to November-December 2020.

It also assumes that even more severe restrictions will not be issued by the UK Government, nationally or regionally.

By August, it may be feasible through widespread antibody-testing to determine who has developed immunity, thus allowing them more freedom from restrictions. I don't see this being allowed without a certificate being issued, a certificate that will need to be carried whenever you leave home. Now there's an opportunity for the black market...

Also by August, the rate of new cases may have been slowed, but everyone who has not been infected will remain just as vulnerable to infection should they encounter an infected person, whether that person is symptomatic or asymptomatic.

Increasing data will give us clarity one way or another.

Oh, and the above is the good news...
MJB
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 10:18   #5
PYRTLE

It has been the same message for a couple of weeks now. Even though it states that the safety and welfare comes first etc.......why delay cancelling? Pensthorpe have cancelled their Birdfair. My cpnspiracy theory is because a lot of money is made for Rutland Water and the local Wildlife Trust.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 10:26   #6
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Pyrtle - all proceeds of the birdfair, after the not inconsiderable costs have been deducted, go to Birdlife International projects and Rutland Water or LRWT make nothing out of it.

Steve
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 11:04   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Pyrtle - all proceeds of the birdfair, after the not inconsiderable costs have been deducted, go to Birdlife International projects and Rutland Water or LRWT make nothing out of it.

Steve
What's the average, generated net profit, it's probably declared and posted somewhere?

£20 to get in, I assume that the exhibitors pay quite a bit for a stand, this will be a significant sum.

Gate staff and otheres, are volunteers are they not (?) so to my naive mind, the only cost is for the Marqee erections and portaloos?

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 26th March 2020 at 11:09.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 11:49   #8
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Steve
Okay, perhaps so, once the relevant costs ( fuel, electricity, insurances, toilets and misc. ) are taken into account. Though I expect quite a few retail outlets such as art, books, drinkand food make a few quid. Perhaps I am a tad harsh.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 12:00   #9
peter.jones

It might be a really complex decision how and when to cancel, even though the outcome is fairly straightforward.
Similar to people booked on holidays being out of pocket completely if they cancel, as opposed to waiting for it to be cancelled for them, then able to claim refunds etc.
Plus August is a long way away, if things improve at the same rate as they deteriorated, we aren't halfway there yet! but probably starting to cut it fine even for the most optimistic.

Would a birdfair type event be held in china in the next month? As a guide to what we are heading towards maybe.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 12:54   #10
dantheman
Bah humbug

A decision on cancelling Wimbledon (in June) will be taken next week apparently.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 14:50   #11
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
A decision on cancelling Wimbledon (in June) will be taken next week apparently.
Another point that me affect any decision is the current closure of hotels and other accommodation. Much will depend on when any re-opening is contemplated. From my various cancelled trips, the most optimistic of my accommodation is an 'after the end of June' date. Supplies and deliveries once there's any relaxation of restrictions will be wanted everywhere at the same time...
MJB
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 17:06   #12
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
What's the average, generated net profit, it's probably declared and posted somewhere?

£20 to get in, I assume that the exhibitors pay quite a bit for a stand, this will be a significant sum.

Gate staff and otheres, are volunteers are they not (?) so to my naive mind, the only cost is for the Marqee erections and portaloos?
Andy I am sure that you can find the annual profits that are passed on to Birdlife somewhere. Off the top of my head it might be about £300,000 a year recently.

The main expenses for the fair organisers would seem to be:
Marquee hire and erection (they are up for about four weeks)
Other equipment hire - generators, toilets, buggies, cabins
Security
Insurance
Administration (there is a year-round staff working on it)

Reserve staff work on the fair for around four weeks but I have no idea if their salaries are charged to the fair accounts. A lot of the setting up and running of the fair is done by a large number of volunteers, yes.

Steve
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 16:08   #13
PYRTLE

Must be very serious doubts about this event now ( expected 3 - 6 months lockdown ) and a planned gradual slow recovery to what was a normal way of life, ....per Deputy Chief Medical Officer.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Sunday 29th March 2020 at 17:42.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 18:14   #14
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Must be very serious doubts about this event now ( expected 3 - 6 months lockdown ) and a planned gradual slow recovery to what was a normal way of life, ....per Deputy Chief Medical Officer.
She stated that easing of some restrictions may be possible in some regions, but lifting them is probably not practical until September, and then only if people comply with the self-isolation.

That's also the sense I was getting from owners of accommodation I had booked for before autumn. Several offered to retain the bookings for up to 12 months to a period of my choice...
MJB
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 09:25   #15
Robert_Young
Registered Member

This morning it has been confirmed as cancelled
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 09:38   #16
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Young View Post
This morning it has been confirmed as cancelled
I just heard that, however when I checked about 15 minutes ago the Bird Fair 2020 website hadn’t been updated.
Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 10:23   #17
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

I think they emailed exhibitors first, the website is now updated confirming that it has been cancelled.

https://birdfair.org.uk/2020/04/07/a...birdfair-team/

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 10:44   #18
cheshirebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post

Someone on here must be able to drop Tim Appleton a line, I think Franko has his details...............
The bridled tern incident ?
Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 12:08   #19
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirebirder View Post
The bridled tern incident ?
Indeed.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: