Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

May/June Moths

Old Thursday 25th June 2020, 21:39   #401
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreybirder View Post
Isn't that mother of pearl?
Yes that looks to be it. Not in my book hence the ID struggle! Thanks Ken

"You should have been here 5 minutes ago"
Old Friday 26th June 2020, 05:09   #402
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreybirder View Post
Isn't that mother of pearl?
It is and it's a micro believe it or not.
Old Friday 26th June 2020, 05:11   #403
andyadcock

Had anticipated a really good night last night but it was fairly devoid of anything exciting or exceptional numbers.

Two more Coronet and a year tick in the form of a Clay, were most notable.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 26th June 2020 at 10:49.
Old Friday 26th June 2020, 09:16   #404
Rubia

183 moths of 48 species checked so far, a moderate number still in fridge as I had a Coleopterist join me last night to look through the beetles so I got behind with IDs. New for garden (with odd life tick too) - V-Pug, Miller, Small Emerald, Bright-line Brown-eye, Archips crataegana, Dun-bar and Lilac Beauty. The Lilac Beauty I found skulking on a low bit of wall behind a plant pot, but so please I looked - what a stunner, fav of the night. 2nd Pine Hawk of year, 7 Elephants, 2 Small Elephants (looking worn now). 47 Water Veneers. Again some nice moths in the mix.
A night off tonight I suspect so I can do some day time insects tomorrow.
Good luck out there.
Old Friday 26th June 2020, 18:21   #405
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Bit of a bumper night last night, 57 moths, 32 species, 10 new for garden (pending ID requests). Two each of Swallow-tailed (stunning), Double Square-spot (not so much) and Yellow-tail, a nice obvious Pug (Foxglove), a fairly under-played Carpet (Sandy), Knot Grass (almost had it down as a Poplar Grey but something didn't quite look right), Single-dotted Wave, Small Angle Shades, Beautiful Hook-tip and Light Emerald. Since starting trapping on 28th May this has increased the garden moth list from 5 to 99 (although at some point I shall revisit some Pug photos, pretty sure there's Common in there somewhere). Other highlights included Peach Blossom, Phoenix, Elephant Hawk, Beautiful Golden Y & Swallow Prominent. Like I said, bit of a bumper night.

Swallow-tailed Moth
Double Square-spot
Yellow-tail
Foxglove Pug
Sandy Carpet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8740.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	730751  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8692.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	730752  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8736.JPG
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	730753  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8712.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	730754  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8726.JPG
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	730755  

Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
Old Friday 26th June 2020, 18:25   #406
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Knot Grass
Single-dotted Wave
Small Angle Shades & Peach Blossom
Beautiful Hook-tip
Light Emerald
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8575.JPG
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	730757  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8718.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	730760  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8706.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	730762  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8606.JPG
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	730764  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8584.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	730765  

Old Friday 26th June 2020, 19:37   #407
Rubia

Agree with bumper night.
Having emptied the fridge, bar a few going for gen det, I got to 211 of 64 species. Additional new for garden included Large Ivy Tortrix, Haworth's Pug, Ypsolopha sequella (the one with the rabbit on its back; neat), Ancylis achatana, Treble Brown Spot and Mottles Rustic.
Old Friday 26th June 2020, 20:23   #408
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia View Post
Ypsolopha sequella (the one with the rabbit on its back; neat),
Couldn't let that go without a Google. Agree; neat!
Old Friday 26th June 2020, 21:22   #409
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia View Post
Agree with bumper night.
Having emptied the fridge, bar a few going for gen det, I got to 211 of 64 species. Additional new for garden included Large Ivy Tortrix, Haworth's Pug, Ypsolopha sequella (the one with the rabbit on its back; neat), Ancylis achatana, Treble Brown Spot and Mottles Rustic.
Fabulous bunny logo - thanks for the tip!

I also had a bumper crop overnight, finding 91 moths of 27 species this morning.

Four NFY: Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (I'll be sick of the sight of them in a few weeks but they are very smart moths); Double Square-spot; Vapourer, and September Thorn, which is my first Thorn of the year rather counterintuitively but actually the expected one.

Heart and Darts screamed off into the distance with 32 but Heart and Clubs put up a decent performance with 16. 7 Flames, 6 Uncertains and 4 Riband Waves of which one was a banded individual helped with numbers.

A Leopard Moth added to the quality as did a True Lover's Knot.

Skipping tonight due to forecast heavy rain in the early hours through the morning. Lie-in!

John
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 05:19   #410
andyadcock

And odd night here, low numbers but some decent stuff including Poplar Grey, my second ever Phoenix, three days after my first, three more Coronets, oh and yes a Scarlet Tiger!!!!!!!!

Is there an influx or status change, it's on the Notts list I think but certainly not a moth I ever expected to catch here, best moth I've seen in Notts.

Edit: 'Waring' has it as 'Local SW, S, SE, possible immigrant' but I see that it's now resident in Warks so maybe not as unexpected as I thought?

Below, Tiger, Coronet, Coronets and Poplar Grey.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_20200627_115900_edited_1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	730813  Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_114925.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	730814  Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_p6270726.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	730815  

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 27th June 2020 at 11:09.
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 09:21   #411
KenM

Not a great night NE.London- 2 H&D, Treble-Brown Spot, Riband Wave, Blotched Emerald, Cypress Carpet and a lifer with Small-Blood Vein! Are they normally this warm in tonal value?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2250656.jpeg    Small Blood-Vein.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	730797  
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 10:19   #412
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Not a great night NE.London- 2 H&D, Treble-Brown Spot, Riband Wave, Blotched Emerald, Cypress Carpet and a lifer with Small-Blood Vein! Are they normally this warm in tonal value?

Cheers
This looks pretty norml compared to what I catch but I had a very dark one a few days ago.

I've been told, that in relation to butterflies anyway, the darkness of some individuals can be influenced by temperature fluctuatrions, colder = darker.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 27th June 2020 at 10:22.
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 11:49   #413
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
This looks pretty norml compared to what I catch but I had a very dark one a few days ago.

I've been told, that in relation to butterflies anyway, the darkness of some individuals can be influenced by temperature fluctuatrions, colder = darker.
Interesting Andy, that temperature might play a part in “the cosmetics”. I enquired because in Lewingtons, it was illustrated and suggested that the base colour was of a sandy persuasion, the subject was somewhat “warmer“ than the image shown.

Cheers
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 13:25   #414
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Quote:
oh and yes a Scarlet Tiger!!!!!!!!

Is there an influx or status change, it's on the Notts list I think but certainly not a moth I ever expected to catch here, best moth I've seen in Notts.

Edit: 'Waring' has it as 'Local SW, S, SE, possible immigrant' but I see that it's now resident in Warks so maybe not as unexpected as I thought?
The recent Atlas has just a couple of post-2000 dots for Notts so must still be a very good local record Andy.

Just got my catch processed before the rain started this morning. Scalloped oak, Grey Dagger agg, fan-foot and three common micros all NFY take me up to 126 for the garden year list. And interesting to get two very different Coronets to compare, a green one and a B+W one: surely should be two species!

Steve
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 15:51   #415
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
The recent Atlas has just a couple of post-2000 dots for Notts so must still be a very good local record Andy.

Just got my catch processed before the rain started this morning. Scalloped oak, Grey Dagger agg, fan-foot and three common micros all NFY take me up to 126 for the garden year list. And interesting to get two very different Coronets to compare, a green one and a B+W one: surely should be two species!

Steve
Two records this week Steve including mine, another one on the 23rd and one in Lincs the same night.

The Notts total now stands at six I'm told but seems to be a movement right now.
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 15:53   #416
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
And interesting to get two very different Coronets to compare, a green one and a B+W one: surely should be two species!

Steve
Re the Coronet, there are three forms and I've had them all this week, a very good year for the species here along with Beautiful Hook-tip and Common Footman.

Makes you wonder if the Covid levels of pollution, have aided some species?

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 27th June 2020 at 16:01.
Old Sunday 28th June 2020, 07:18   #417
andyadcock

Far too windy last night, didn't bother, it looks like it will be the same for a few days.
Old Sunday 28th June 2020, 07:48   #418
Farnboro John

Windy here last night but from a direction where the house shelters the back garden. Nothing exciting but 38 moths of 13 species, so still worth doing. 20 Heart and Darts left 6 Heart and Clubs trailing badly. A Dwarf Cream Wave and 2 Peppered Moths best of the rest.

John
Old Sunday 28th June 2020, 10:34   #419
andyadcock

55 Macros recorded this month including three 'ticks' but several common species that I would usually have expected to see, still missing e.g Large and Lesser Yelow Underwing, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Peppered Moth and Poplar Hawkmoth.
Old Sunday 28th June 2020, 14:22   #420
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Quote:
55 Macros recorded this month including three 'ticks' but several common species that I would usually have expected to see, still missing e.g Large and Lesser Yelow Underwing, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Peppered Moth and Poplar Hawkmoth.
Down the road in Lufbra I have had all of those but only in very small numbers, like one or two. Several locals have commented how scarce Poplar Hawk is this year.
I am missing both Eyed and Lime hawk-moths, and both Flame and Flame Shoulder of the usual commoner species, otherwise I think I have caught most things that I normally do by now.

Steve
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 00:25   #421
Rubia

Cold, windy and rain just before I started tonight, did 3 hours which produced 20 moths of 10 species. Only new for year was Scalloped Oak.
Had around 20 micro gen dets from last week back that gave me many garden ticks; of note amongst them was a potential 2nd and 4th for Herts. Just shows if you throw them away you never know what might be in there (though I appreciate getting them done costs).
Spent today in Sussex with a mate and we enjoyed a couple of hours with a Field Cricket that was pleasingly showy; a great experience. The moth Synaphe punctalis was in the same location, a southern speciality.
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 17:27   #422
Farnboro John

Windy and at least one shower overnight though everything except the trap's clear plastic covers was dry this morning. 28 moths of 15 species was a low total compared to recent nights but not without interest. For the first time recently Heart and Club took the lead with 6, Heart and Dart only matching Uncertain with 4 each. Also for the first time, more than one (all right, two) Large Yellow Underwings: that will get worse not better....

Light Arches was a full tick and very welcome, Shears gave me an ID headache and a nice Angle Shades (one of my favourites) was matched by a pristine Buff Arches that I only found when dismantling the trap because the sky was getting pretty black.

John
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 18:02   #423
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Windy and at least one shower overnight though everything except the trap's clear plastic covers was dry this morning. 28 moths of 15 species was a low total compared to recent nights but not without interest. For the first time recently Heart and Club took the lead with 6, Heart and Dart only matching Uncertain with 4 each. Also for the first time, more than one (all right, two) Large Yellow Underwings: that will get worse not better....

Light Arches was a full tick and very welcome, Shears gave me an ID headache and a nice Angle Shades (one of my favourites) was matched by a pristine Buff Arches that I only found when dismantling the trap because the sky was getting pretty black.

John
Will you submit your records?

I'm curious if your recorder accepts Uncertain or, like ours, will it have to be listed as an aggregate with Rustic?

Two Daggers, two Copper Underwings, Rustic / Uncertain, two Pine Carpets and the Marbled Minors, are all aggregates on my list as I've never felt the need to have them dissected for a definitive ID.

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 29th June 2020 at 18:06.
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 18:24   #424
Farnboro John

Quote:
Will you submit your records?

I'm curious if your recorder accepts Uncertain or, like ours, will it have to be listed as an aggregate with Rustic?

Two Daggers, two Copper Underwings, Rustic / Uncertain, two Pine Carpets and the Marbled Minors, are all aggregates on my list as I've never felt the need to have them dissected for a definitive ID.
I've no idea, I'm a hobbyist. I don't submit bird records, let alone moth ones. If I can get it only to agg by the field guide criteria, its an agg. If the field guide gives further guidance but I can't make it fit, it's an agg. If the field guide says "if its this obvious or has this feature, then basically you've got x or y or z" and I can see that then I tick x, y or z.

If I've no idea I come on here and ask advice!

John
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 09:45   #425
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

A predictably quieter night than Friday, (35 of just 16 species) but still managed a couple of new for garden, Fan-foot & V-Pug, which tipped the garden list over the 100 mark. Eventually we'll have a night with nothing new, and given the rather cool breezy weather last night I did wonder if it might have arrived, but no, it's put off to another time. Other than a Beautiful Hook-tip, a Spectacle and a very tatty Light Emerald everything else was pretty quotidian fare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8814.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	731032  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8821.JPG
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	731033  
Advertisement