• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phantom power vs Plug-in-power (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

I would like to start nocmigging and have been looking at a few of the options available. I have decided that I will be going for a good set up right away, rather than going cheap at first then improving incrementally. So I have looking at Telinga equipment.

I was looking at the Stereo MK3 mic, which comes in both Phantom power and plug-in-power models, the former being 100 euros more expensive. It is not clear to me whether there is a significant difference between these for nocmigging purposes.

I've been trying to get a clear answer to this query, without any success so far. I'm a birder not a sound engineer, so I practically have no idea what I'm doing :-O.

Gladiator,

That's a nice setup! Some mics have slightly different performance depending on how they are powered. You should check if the specs show a lower gain for PIP vs phantom.

The other concern is your recorder. Will it supply PIP?

Finally, the XLR connection is a better signal that 3.5mm stereo TRS. It will have lower noise and is more rugged. But if you are outdoors away from interference, I do not know if there's enough noise difference to make a difference. I did not see any spec sheets for the mic, so could not tell. You might need to call or email them to ask.

best of luck,

Marc

I was looking at the Stereo MK3 mic, which comes in both Phantom power and plug-in-power models, the former being 100 euros more expensive. It is not clear to me whether there is a significant difference between these for nocmigging purposes.

Battery life on your recorder can be an 'issue' when choosing phantom power. Your mic will take its power from the battery in/on your recorder and may affect recording duration. I'm not sure how much and it will depend on the mic and recorder, but it's something to keep in mind when nocmigging, especially on long nights.

I'm very happy with my recently purchased Telinga universal kit. It's wonderful stuff and i got great advice (about which mic to use etc) from the people at Telinga. I'm sure they will help you with your questions when you email them.

Happy nocmigging.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back