Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

lotu-tec on Zeiss Victory : does it matter?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 27th August 2008, 08:25   #1
temmie

lotu-tec on Zeiss Victory : does it matter?

The question was raised after considering two good deals on a pair of Zeiss victory 7x42 T*FL binoculars. The one is being sold in Europe, for about 1000 pounds, the other one in the USA, for about 800 pounds, including shipping and customs.
You feel me coming, the cheapest one (in the USA) has no Lotu-tec, so it was produced somewhere before 2007. The seller has a very good reputation, and claims his pair is among the sharpest he ever tested.
The expensive one comes from a weapon store in Austria, not exactly my cup of tea buying from a shop selling the same bins and weapons to hunters, but anyway...
Which one to buy? Is Lotu-tec worth the extra 200 pounds? Or did I miss other bargains somewhere else on the planet?

thanks.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 27th August 2008, 17:25   #2
Robert / Seattle

They are optically and mechanically identical.

The ONLY difference is the ability of the LotTec version to shed water droplets more readily (the outer surface coating on the lens causes water to "bead up", thus facilitating easier cleaning in the rain, for example). It is also claimed to repel grease and dirt particles in a similar manner.

So, whether or not that's worth 200 pounds is clearly a personal decision (my FL's are pre-LotuTec, for example).

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th August 2008, 08:44   #3
ColonelBlimp
What time is bird?

I've got the same problem-get a second-hand pre-Lotutec Diascope for about 1000, or a new Lotutec one for 1400. Personally, the amount of times I have to clean residue off my lenses, thus risking damaging them, does make it worthwhile.
Old Thursday 28th August 2008, 09:10   #4
temmie

Maybe I should repose the question:
Is it worth the extra 200 pounds for YOU? Is Lotu-tec a step forward and a real advantage?

On the one hand, I want the best. On the other hand, it seems like pre-lotu-tec is retarded because something new is out (like in all products), but is it really? I don't think lotu-tec is a must have, my previous bins did not have it and no scratch at all after 10 years of heavy use. I don't feel I need the very latest technology, but if it is really a step forward, I will pay for it.

Old Thursday 28th August 2008, 13:03   #5
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
Maybe I should repose the question:
Is it worth the extra 200 pounds for YOU? Is Lotu-tec a step forward and a real advantage?

On the one hand, I want the best. On the other hand, it seems like pre-lotu-tec is retarded because something new is out (like in all products), but is it really? I don't think lotu-tec is a must have, my previous bins did not have it and no scratch at all after 10 years of heavy use. I don't feel I need the very latest technology, but if it is really a step forward, I will pay for it.
It isn't worth the extra cost to me. Lotu-tec does do what it claims to do, so it is an advance and a convenience, but I know how to clean my binoculars quickly and safely (no scratches after years of use) and I don't find that I have to clean them all that often anyway. If you bird in the rain a lot (I don't), you might like it for the water shedding properties.

--AP
Old Friday 29th August 2008, 00:37   #6
FrankD

Ditto on others' comments. I wouldn't pay the extra money.
Old Friday 29th August 2008, 08:07   #7
ColonelBlimp
What time is bird?

Quote:
If you bird in the rain a lot (I don't), you might like it for the water shedding properties.
I do, and also quite a lot at the coast, so something that helps me clean it less and improves optical performance would be really quite nice.

Something like a Diascope really is a lifetime purchase for me and so I would be willing to save up a bit more to have the best.
Old Friday 29th August 2008, 10:09   #8
temmie

@ ColonelBlimp: I see you are after a Diascope.. I have no Zeiss telescope, but anyway, I would not really want a special coating on it because I use a good filter on the lens, nothing on the objective but I try (not easy, I know) to avoid too much salt water on that one.
@ all of you: thanks for the advice, I am still in doubt. My bins will be wet a lot of times, and they will have to deal with a lot of salt water and humid, tropical situations. If somebody knows a good deal on 7x42 victories with Lotu-Tec, please let me know [:-)]

Old Friday 29th August 2008, 18:55   #9
ve2vk

Smile Lotutec coating...

I own a non lotutec 8X42FL and a Lotutec 7X42FL. And I just purchased a
65mm diascope which has the Lotutec coating. In my opinion for the difference in price It's not worth it, but that's my opinion.. You can get some pretty good deal on the non Lotutec optics.

Regards from Bruno.
Old Friday 29th August 2008, 20:34   #10
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

I think the best thing about Lotutec and similar coatings is that they afford a better buy for the older products that don't have it. In my value system it might be worth $50 to get it, ... maybe not that much.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th August 2008, 23:53   #11
Fireform

You're still going to have to clean the lenses, because even tiny water droplets will leave water spots. It would be an advantage for me in use because I hunt and bird in the rainy tropics and water is always getting splashed from foliation or dripped as perspiration into my oculars. But it's not worth several hundred dollars more. I got my demo Zeiss 8x32s for $1000, probably because they weren't lotu-tec.
Old Sunday 21st September 2008, 01:51   #12
Patriot222

I previously owned the 7x42FL and currently own the 8x42FL Lotutec. It just worked out that I got a great deal on the model so I purchased it. After having used them for a year I do appreciate how quickly the glass cleans up. I believe the advantages go beyond just shedding water because anything that comes into contact with the lens sheds more easily. Dust for example blows off more thoroughly in the field when they get so dirty that you don't want to touch them without running water. That doesn't happen much but sometimes I have a brain lapse and forget to put the objective cover on while driving the dirt roads, or maybe it get's left of the camp table and there is a lot of dust in the air.

When it does come time to clean them with water it's a snap. I notice that my other bins take some technique to get them perfect but my FL's don't. If I lived in a misty, rainy environment then I'd probably appreciate Lotutec that much more. In retrospect, I think it's worth the convenience.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: