Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sittidae

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 4th April 2014, 10:13   #1
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Sittidae

Pasquet, Barker, Martens, Tillier, Cruaud & Cibois (in press). Evolution within the nuthatches (Sittidae: Aves, Passeriformes): molecular phylogeny, biogeography, and ecological perspectives. J Ornithol. [abstract]
Old Tuesday 29th April 2014, 06:43   #2
Richard Klim

TiF

John Boyd (TiF):
www.jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.html (29 Apr 2014)
www.jboyd.net/Taxo/List24.html#sittidae
www.jboyd.net/Taxo/Sittidae.pdf

Last edited by Richard Klim : Tuesday 29th April 2014 at 07:15. Reason: tree.
Old Monday 25th January 2016, 09:10   #3
Richard Klim

Pasquet et al 2014 pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
Pasquet, Barker, Martens, Tillier, Cruaud & Cibois (in press). Evolution within the nuthatches (Sittidae: Aves, Passeriformes): molecular phylogeny, biogeography, and ecological perspectives. J Ornithol. [abstract]
Pasquet et al 2014. J Ornithol 155(3): 755–765. [pdf]
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 17:25   #4
Peter Kovalik

Sitta nagaensis

Min Zhao, Yongbin Chang, Rebecca T. Kimball, Jian Zhao, Fumin Lei, Yanhua Qu. Pleistocene glaciation explains the disjunct distribution of the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch (Aves, Sittidae). Zoologica Scripta, First Published: 28 November 2018.

Abstract:

Pleistocene climatic oscillations have played an important role in shaping many species’ current distributions. In recent years, there has been increasing interest in studying the effects of glacial periods on East Asian birds. Integrated approaches allow us to study past distribution range changes due to Pleistocene glaciation, and how these changes have affected current population genetic structure, especially for species with unusual distribution patterns. The Wuyi disjunction is the disjunct distribution of birds between the Wuyi Mountains in south‐eastern China and south‐western China. Although several species exhibit the Wuyi disjunction, the process behind this unusual distribution pattern has remained relatively unstudied. Therefore, we used the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch Sitta nagaensis as a model species to investigate the possible causes of the Wuyi disjunction. Based on phylogenetic analyses with three mitochondrial and six nuclear regions, the Wuyi population of the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch was closely related to populations in mid‐Sichuan, from which it diverged approximately 0.1 million years ago, despite the long geographical distance between them (over 1,300 km). In contrast, geographically close populations in mid‐ and southern Sichuan were genetically divergent from each other (more than half a million years). Ecological niche modelling suggested that the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch has experienced dramatic range expansions from Last Interglacial period to Last Glacial Maximum, with some range retraction following the Last Glacial period. We propose that the Wuyi disjunction of the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch was most likely due to recent range expansion from south‐western China during the glacial period, followed by postglacial range retraction.
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 07:53   #5
Daniel Philippe

Palearctic

Päckert M., Bader-Blukott M., Künzelmann B., Sun Y.-H., Hsu Y.-C., Kehlmaier C., Albrecht F., Illera J.C. & Martens J., 2020. A revised phylogeny of nuthatches (Aves, Passeriformes, Sitta) reveals insight in intra- and interspecific diversification patterns in the Palearctic. Vertebr. Zool. 70 (2): 241-262.

There
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 08:31   #6
LeNomenclatoriste
Taxonomy and zoological nomenclature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Philippe View Post
Päckert M., Bader-Blukott M., Künzelmann B., Sun Y.-H., Hsu Y.-C., Kehlmaier C., Albrecht F., Illera J.C. & Martens J., 2020. A revised phylogeny of nuthatches (Aves, Passeriformes, Sitta) reveals insight in intra- and interspecific diversification patterns in the Palearctic. Vertebr. Zool. 70 (2): 241-262.

There
Now I'm reluctant to subdivided Sitta into subgenera because no name is available for the Sitta carolinensis clade
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 20:27   #7
mb1848

Quote:
I'm reluctant to subdivided Sitta into subgenera because no name is available for the Sitta carolinensis
From the internets "Sitta carolinensis is arranged in subgenus Leptositta" Ive seen Homositta S. A. BUTURLIN, Travaux Soc??
Arctositta (p.4), Cyanositta
(p.11), Homositta (p.16), Leptositta (p.17) .? Mesositta. Micrositta. Poecilositta. Poliositta. Callisitta, Oenositta??

Last edited by mb1848 : Friday 5th June 2020 at 20:42.
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 21:24   #8
l_raty
laurent raty

Although Buturlin 1916 included Sitta carolinensis in this subgenus, the type of his Leptositta is Sitta leucopsis Gould 1850, thus the name applies to the "Sino-Himalaya 1" group in Päckert et al's phylogeny.
The type of Homositta Buturlin 1916 is Sitta castaneoventris Franklin 1831, which is a synonym of Sitta castanea Lesson 1830 (= "Sino-Himalaya 3" goup in Päckert et al).

Is this work still accessible from the US ? It used to be at: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b2957897
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 21:56   #9
Mike Earp

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
Is this work still accessible from the US ? It used to be at: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b2957897
Seems to be. Here's an extract: Extracts from Buturlin's Review of the Nuthatches.pdf
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 21:59   #10
Mike Earp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1848 View Post
From the internets "Sitta carolinensis is arranged in subgenus Leptositta" Ive seen Homositta S. A. BUTURLIN, Travaux Soc??
Arctositta (p.4), Cyanositta
(p.11), Homositta (p.16), Leptositta (p.17) .? Mesositta. Micrositta. Poecilositta. Poliositta. Callisitta, Oenositta??
Presumably from here: Review of Buturlin's Review of the Nuthatches.pdf
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 07:27   #11
andrew147

Quote:
...Poecilositta. Poliositta. Callisitta, Oenositta??
Divergence times and heterogeneity both too great for all nuthatches to be included in Sitta. New name definitely required for magna/carolinensis group, as the absence of an available name here validates maintaining a broad Sitta.

The position of arctica is fascinating!

Does anyone know what the correct generic name for the blue nuthatches would be? There are several names attached to this group but I'm a bit stumped as to which one has priority.

Dendrophila (Swainson, 1837) type: frontalis -
seems to be narrowly pre-dated by Dendrophila (Hodgson, 1837)

Cyanositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: corallipes

Poecilositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: azurea

Poliositta (Robinson & Kloss, 1918) type: expectata

Oenositta (Wolters, 1979) type: frontalis

I'm assuming that either Cyanositta or Poecilositta would be the correct name but which has priority? And why did Wolters introduce Oenositta when other names existed? (Is there a problem with the closeness of Cyanositta to Cyanocitta?)
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 07:46   #12
LeNomenclatoriste
Taxonomy and zoological nomenclature

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew147 View Post
maintaining a broad Sitta.
For now, no other choice
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 10:28   #13
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
I'm assuming that either Cyanositta or Poecilositta would be the correct name but which has priority? And why did Wolters introduce Oenositta when other names existed? (Is there a problem with the closeness of Cyanositta to Cyanocitta?)
Wolters used Poecilositta Buturlin 1916 for azurea alone, but did not use Cyanositta Buturlin 1916 -- instead, he replaced “Orthorhynchus Swainson 1820, nec Cuvier 1800 and Dendrophila Swainson 1837 nec Hodgson 1837” with "Oenositta nom. nov.", without further explanations.

The valid name should in principle be Cyanositta or Poecilositta as you say, but these two were introduced on the same date and at the same rank, thus we need a first reviser act to fix their relative precedence.

Note that, under the ICZN, the type of Poliositta Robinson & Kloss is azurea Lesson -- not expectata, which was treated as a mere subspecies of azurea in the OD. (See Art. 68.3.)

Last edited by l_raty : Saturday 6th June 2020 at 11:27. Reason: link to the Code
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 10:39   #14
andrew147

Thanks for replies, very helpful.

I can't open the attached thumbnails though Björn - I get a message saying 'Invalid Attachment specified'
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 11:09   #15
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

If of interest; have a photo copy of page 253 of Wolters's Die Vogelarten der Erde, where Oenositta was introduced (in 1979), also showing his treatment of Fam. Neosittidae, and Fam. Sittidae (at least the first part of it, unfortunately I didn't copy the continuation of it, on p.254).

First I thought of posting it here (and I actually did, for a few minutes), but due to copyright rules I retracted and decided not to. If anyone feel like having a copy of p.253 I can send it to you (if so use the BirdForum's Private Message System).

Björn

Quote:
I can't open the attached thumbnails though Björn - I get a message saying 'Invalid Attachment specified'
Andrew, you couldn't/can't open any 'Invalid Attachment specified', simply as I deleted my earlier post, thus there's no longer anything/nothing to open. Sorry, but copyright rules are copyright rules.
-

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 6th June 2020 at 13:28. Reason: End part/quote + typo
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 14:25   #16
mb1848

Quote:
Cyanositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: corallipes

Poecilositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: azurea

Poliositta (Robinson & Kloss, 1918) type: expectata
Quote:
Note that, under the ICZN, the type of Poliositta Robinson & Kloss is azurea Lesson -- not expectata, which was treated as a mere subspecies of azurea in the OD. (See Art. 68.3.)
Richmond says:
Poliositta H. C. Robinson and C. B. Kloss, Journ. Fed. Malay States Mus.,
VIII, Pt. II, Dec, 1918,228.
Type, Callisitta azurea expectata H.\rtert. [Sittidae.]
( Monotypy.
)
(Not indicated as new here; probably =Poecilositta Buturlin.)
Was this a failed first revisor act? I cannot find on BHL
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 15:18   #17
Snapdragyn

Richmond Index has the type of Callisitta as Sitta formosa.

http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/C/c00139a.jpg
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 16:37   #18
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Richmond says:
Poliositta H. C. Robinson and C. B. Kloss, Journ. Fed. Malay States Mus.,
VIII, Pt. II, Dec, 1918,228.
Type, Callisitta azurea expectata H.\rtert. [Sittidae.]
( Monotypy.
)
(Not indicated as new here; probably =Poecilositta Buturlin.)
Was this a failed first revisor act? I cannot find on BHL
Vol. 8 of this journal is lacking on BHL https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/51854; from the US, you may be able to see it at https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015047632073.

R&K merely used Poliositta in the trinomen Poliositta azurea inexpectata, without explaining, and without attributing it to an author. It seems quite possible indeed that their Poliositta was a corruption of Poecilositta Buturlin, also based on Sitta azurea Lesson. (Particularly as this bird is not exactly grey, thus calling it 'Poliositta' doesn't even makes sense.)
I know what Richmond wrote about the type ([here]), but this is not in line with the current rules. When a genus-group name is proposed without a type designation and with one single included taxonomic species denoted by an available name, the type is fixed "by monotypy" as the nominal species denoted by the valid name used for the species in the OD. Any name used at subspecies rank in the OD is to be ignored. (The birds that the author may have been studying when he proposed the genus-group name do not play any role in the typification of this name, thus their subspecific ID is in principle irrelevant.)

Last edited by l_raty : Saturday 6th June 2020 at 16:40.
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 19:26   #19
thyoloalethe

Quote:
(Is there a problem with the closeness of Cyanositta to Cyanocitta?)
In Latin, the letter c is pronounced as the letter k, and never as the letter s, so these two names are not homonyms. However, given that most English speakers (and likely speakers of various other languages) don't know much Latin and would pronounce these the same, a first reviser would be wise to choose Poecilositta over Cyanositta.
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 20:26   #20
mb1848

Richmond Index has the type of Callisitta as Sitta formosa.
Yes, but Sharpe put frontalis in it.
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Scol/scol00992a.jpg . And Hartert in 1914 put azurea.
https://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Cacc/cacc00499a.jpg .
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 13:05   #21
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyoloalethe View Post
In Latin, the letter c is pronounced as the letter k, and never as the letter s, so these two names are not homonyms. However, given that most English speakers (and likely speakers of various other languages) don't know much Latin and would pronounce these the same, a first reviser would be wise to choose Poecilositta over Cyanositta.
That indeed was the pronunciation rule when I did Latin over 60 years ago, but I understand the current rule is that the pronunciation of 'c' in Latin is now more Italianate; when it precedes 'e' or 'i', it is a soft 'ch' as in 'church' sound (and as in 'Ciao'). I expect that there are many on Bird Forum with greater scholarly expertise who can confirm what the current convention is in greater detail!
MJB
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 14:44   #22
Mike Earp

Quote:
Vol. 8 of this journal is lacking on BHL https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/51854; from the US, you may be able to see it at https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015047632073.
The relevant material is attached here: Robinson & Kloss (1918).pdf.
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 15:12   #23
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
That indeed was the pronunciation rule when I did Latin over 60 years ago, but I understand the current rule is that the pronunciation of 'c' in Latin is now more Italianate; when it precedes 'e' or 'i', it is a soft 'ch' as in 'church' sound (and as in 'Ciao'). I expect that there are many on Bird Forum with greater scholarly expertise who can confirm what the current convention is in greater detail!
MJB
So far as I know, it is accepted that, in ancient Latin, the pronunciation of 'c' was always hard (like 'k'), as thyoloalethe suggested above.
But there are other, 'modern' systems of pronunciations. What you describe sounds like 'church Latin' (which may arguably be the only currently spoken version of Latin): 'c' is pronounced like an English 'ch' when it precedes 'e', 'i', but also 'y' (which is pronounced like a Latin 'i'), as well as 'æ' and 'œ' (which are both pronounced like a long Latin 'e' -- i.e., like the 'a' of 'Latin' in English).

(FWIW, pronunciation plays no role in homonymy between generic names under the current Code -- as soon as two generic names differ by one letter, they are not homonyms, even if they are pronounced identically. But fully I agree that, if facing a choice between two valid names that sound clearly different and two valid names that sound the same, it would make sense to choose the first option. )
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 15:28   #24
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Earp View Post
The relevant material is attached here: Attachment 729184.
Thanks Mike.

Just to be complete: the name also appears on 4 other pages in the work, viz.:
  • p. 87: "44. Poliositta azurea expectata" in a list of birds collected in "Zone B. 10,000 feet - 6,000 feet";
  • p. 89: "Poliositta azurea expectata" in a list of three species occuring in this zone, not peculiar to Sumatra but found elsewhere only in the Malay Peninsula;
  • p. 94: "64. Poliositta a. expectata" in a list of birds collected in "Zone D. 4,000 feet - 3,000 feet";
  • p. 257: "156. Poliositta azurea expectata (Hartert)", in a "Table showing distribution and altitute of birds collected according to stations".
'Poecilositta' is not used anywhere.
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 16:13   #25
MJB

Quote:
(FWIW, pronunciation plays no role in homonymy between generic names under the current Code -- as soon as two generic names differ by one letter, they are not homonyms, even if they are pronounced identically. But fully I agree that, if facing a choice between two valid names that sound clearly different and two valid names that sound the same, it would make sense to choose the first option. )
Thanks, Laurent, as always!
MJB
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: