Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cinclodes

Old Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 21:32   #1
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Cinclodes

Rader, Dillon, Chesser, Sabat & Martínez del Rio 2015. Morphological divergence in a continental adaptive radiation: South American ovenbirds of the genus Cinclodes. Auk 132(1): 180–190. [abstract]
Old Friday 30th January 2015, 07:16   #2
Richard Klim

Chile

Vielma & Medrano 2015. Identificación y ecología de los Churretes (Cinclodes) de Chile. Chiricoca 19: 28–35. [pdf]
Old Friday 30th January 2015, 17:57   #3
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
Rader, Dillon, Chesser, Sabat & Martínez del Rio 2015. Morphological divergence in a continental adaptive radiation: South American ovenbirds of the genus Cinclodes. Auk 132(1): 180–190. [abstract]
Interesting that C. espinhacensis is considered as full species despite the fact that it is only accepted as subspecies by the SACC.
Old Friday 30th January 2015, 19:13   #4
Richard Klim

Cipo Cinclodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Interesting that C. espinhacensis is considered as full species despite the fact that it is only accepted as subspecies by the SACC.
BF thread: Cipo Cinclodes.
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 09:50   #5
Peter Kovalik

Proposal (838) to SACC

Treat Cinclodes olrogi as conspecific with Cinclodes oustaleti
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 10:00   #6
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kovalik View Post
Proposal (838) to SACC

Treat Cinclodes olrogi as conspecific with Cinclodes oustaleti
They can't do that! Olrog's Cinclodes is one of my favourite ever bird names!
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 13:17   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
They can't do that! Olrog's Cinclodes is one of my favourite ever bird names!
Ocellated Tapaculo has to be up there with it......
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 14:59   #8
James Jobling

My favourites, from days of yore, are Oleaginous Pipromorph and Blue-wreathed Ifrit.
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 22:27   #9
sicklebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jobling View Post
My favourites, from days of yore, are Oleaginous Pipromorph and Blue-wreathed Ifrit.
Classic! I have a priceless one from mammals too-Paucident Planigale
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 07:21   #10
Peter Kovalik

Cinclodes lopezlanusorum

Proposal (846) to SACC

Accept Cinclodes lopezlanusorum as a valid species

Quote:
Literature Cited:

LÓPEZ-LANÚS, B. 2019. Una nueva especie de remolinera (Furnariidae: Cinclodes) de la región Andino-Patagónica, endémico-reproductiva de bosques de lenga (Nothofagus pumilio) con morfotipo arbóreo. En pp.475-509: López-Lanús, B. Guía Audiornis de las aves de Argentina, fotos y sonidos; identificación por características contra puestas y marcas sobre imágenes. Tercera edición. Audiornis Producciones. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 544 págs. ISBN 978-987-783-666-0 (2019). Pdf downloadable at https://archive.org/details/cinclode...lopezlanus2019

Last edited by Peter Kovalik : Friday 31st January 2020 at 07:24.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 08:02   #11
LeNomenclatoriste
Taxonomy and zoological nomenclature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kovalik View Post
Proposal (846) to SACC

Accept Cinclodes lopezlanusorum as a valid species
A journal kept by a single author and publisher, I don't want to create controversy but it looks a lot like a taxonomic vandalism, no?
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 11:53   #12
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeNomenclatoriste View Post
A journal kept by a single author and publisher, I don't want to create controversy but it looks a lot like a taxonomic vandalism, no?
I find the choice of words a bit strong, as after all,
Quote:
writers characterized the Vandals as barbarians, "sacking and looting" Rome
Taxonomic vandalism would be relevant if someone replaced the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature and started randomly replacing the code with other wordings.

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 31st January 2020, 12:18   #13
Kirk Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I find the choice of words a bit strong, as after all,
Taxonomic vandalism would be relevant if someone replaced the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature and started randomly replacing the code with other wordings.

Niels
"Taxonomic Vandalism" is an already used term, albeit not yet well defined and more often used in popular media than actual scientific literature (perhaps for obvious reasons). It roughly means an act of taxonomic description that involves some sort of misconduct, resulting in the publication of taxa names that are somewhat dubious. As a long-time user of this forum, I'm certain you can easily think of examples of such accusations even if this particular term wasn't used! It is widely familiar in herpetology due to some fairly infamous and certainly dubious acts by a few people. It also crops up in taxa with less formal nomenclature processes - insects and tropical plants come to mind. Ornithology has relatively rigorous and well-checked taxonomic authorities, so it not surprising to me that this term would not be widely used or recognized in our "sphere" here.

Which is my long way of saying that our friend here isn't necessarily being harsh, at least not because of word choice - the term was already "chosen" by the masses!

For some articles that use this term:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...omy-180964629/

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...idae_Rutelinae

http://www.africanherpetology.org/taxonomy.php
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 12:32   #14
Kirk Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
... if someone replaced the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature and started randomly replacing the code with other wordings.
All above said, doesn't the Code prevent an author from naming a species after himself? Am I misunderstanding something here?
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 13:17   #15
Mysticete

Does seem a direct correlation is often present between people trying to name things after themselves and the concept of taxonomic vandalism...
Mammal: 233 Herp: 174
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 13:25   #16
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeNomenclatoriste View Post
It also looks like a dream come true for a scientists :)
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 13:33   #17
Mike Earp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Roth View Post
All above said, doesn't the Code prevent an author from naming a species after himself? Am I misunderstanding something here?
From the English version of the paper:
Etymology. The specific name lopezlanusorum (=de los López-Lanús) is not in recognition of its discoverer, Bernabé López-Lanús, but of his family, who acted as “sponsor” for six years, financing the field trips to the study sites, providing logistical support and places in both Saladillo and Buenos Aires to advance this study.
But is the name validly published under the Code? Is the journal only online?
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 13:45   #18
James Jobling

Mike beat me to it; here is the full English dedication; "The specific name lopezlanusorum (= de los López-Lanús) is not in recognition of its discoverer, Bernabé López-Lanús, but of his family, who acted as "sponsor" for six years, financing the field trips to the study sites, providing logistical support and places in both Saladillo and Buenos Aires to advance this study. That is why the author dedicates the species to his family, López-Lanús, both to his parents Bernabé Francisco and Ana Inés, and to his brothers, especially Sebastián López-Lanús; and with the same strength to the author's son, Máximo B. López-Lanús, who tolerates his father's absences on his long field trips." (B. López-Lanús 2019)
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 14:07   #19
thomasdonegan
Former amateur ornithologist

This paper and the SACC proposal illustrate various things which are broken in modern bird taxonomy practice.

1. It should be prohibited to name a new species after yourself (or in a way that achieves the same thing, e.g. for your parents). It's not prohibited in the Code, but it still remains the height of bad taste and bad manners, reflecting worst of all on the author. It also produces a conflict of interest: if the author so wants immortality, he may cast aside objectivity in analysing the taxonomic proposal.

2. Peer review versus non-peer review, The original description here is self -published, without the rigour of the peer review process of journals. People discuss whether this should be allowed for naming organisms, but it remains possible under the Code. I am not convinced publication venues should be restricted too drastically. Whilst peer review generally means that only good papers tend to be published, many other good papers are sacrificed along the way, and many journals and reviewers are affected by conflicts of interest themselves. But there are a few instances now of self-publication creating serious problems, especially in herptiles and Canada Geese.

3. Questionable "medicine" being meted about by ornithologists, via SACC, to address these issues. We now have a non-peer reviewed, non-objective, chatty, vitriolic, entirely critical piece as a SACC proposal to address the problems raised by the non-peer reviewed, non-objective paper. Pots and kettles, calling each other different colours. The proposal makes no effort whatsoever to make the positive case for the taxonomic proposal being reviewed and seems only intended to grandstand, flag-wave, criticize, express disgust and achieve an objective of having the work rejected.

Unfortunately, SACC has an illustrious and long history of trashing external works in one-sided, myopic, uninformative, often (as here) vitriolic, unpublicable proposals. In some cases, they have been proven wrong. See this (non-peer reviewed, self published) open letter:

Donegan TM 2019. On conflicts of interest, bias and deviations from the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature in a taxonomic committee, the South American Classification Committee of the American Ornithologists' Society: an analysis of previous cases, with recommendations for reform. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.35777.51047
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Ornithologists'

4. That leaves the rest of us wondering what to do. I am sure the description leaves a lot to be desired; the conflict with molecular results is probably very informative. However, when I see pieces like this, and not knowing the birds at all, the only thing you can do is say "meh" and remain to be convinced either way. The SACC proposal ticks the box on pretty much every indicator of "pseudo-scepticism" discussed in the above-mentioned paper, continuing a long tradition of such SACC behaviour. That something is pseudosceptic does not make it incorrect. However, just like the description of lopezlanusi, there is no objective way for the reader to have any positive conclusions about such a piece.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 14:12   #20
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdonegan View Post
This paper and the SACC proposal illustrate various things which are broken in modern bird taxonomy practice.

1. It should be prohibited to name a new species after yourself (or in a way that achieves the same thing, e.g. for your parents). It's not prohibited in the Code, but it still remains the height of bad taste and bad manners, reflecting worst of all on the author. It also produces a conflict of interest: if the author so wants immortality, he may cast aside objectivity in analysing the taxonomic proposal.
I'm no scientist or taxonomist but this is exactly what I understood to be the case.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 14:23   #21
opisska
Jan Ebr

I have nothing to do with taxonomy, but maybe I could weigh in on the scientific process. These days, peer-review per se doesn't mean much, because the process is done in a badly organized and inefficient way. It is also quite hard to assess what should count as "good" publication and making a distinction between "online" and "printed" has been silly since the century started and nobody really cares anyway.

In the parts of science where I move about, the only reasonable measure of "good" science is the citations. I can imagine this can also be different in something like taxonomy where I can see a lot of valid research simply not attracting much attention, because there is a plenty of species and the research will be heavily fragmented and if you happen to study something that's not popular, you might find yourself ignored. Thus really the only way to go is independent replication - simply, taxonomical decisions should not be made based on a single work. After all, where is the harm from the decision being delayed a few years (unless the taxa in question are endangered and splitting would aid conservation, but that should be probably dealt with separately anyway).
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 15:00   #22
thomasdonegan

For those who don't have RG access:

""pseudo-scepticism" may involve:
7. Denying, when only doubt has been established.
8. Presenting insufficient evidence or proof for counterclaims, e.g. counter-claims based on plausibility
rather than empirical evidence.
9. Asserting insufficiency of proof without explanation or specifying what the required standard is.
10. Implying that unconvincing evidence provides grounds for dismissing a claim.
11. Ad hominem attacks or double-standards.
12. Vitriolic tone.
13. False metaphors.
14. Contradiction with history or basic principles of science.
15. Non-specific or superficial commentaries.
16. Going straight to publication without giving those criticised the chance to respond or comment.
17. Aim not of finding the truth, but to discredit.
18. Ideological or faith-based interpretations (Truzzi 1987, Cabbolet 2016, Torcello 2016). "
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 15:27   #23
Neomorphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdonegan View Post

2. Peer review versus non-peer review, The original description here is self -published, without the rigour of the peer review process of journals. People discuss whether this should be allowed for naming organisms, but it remains possible under the Code. I am not convinced publication venues should be restricted too drastically. Whilst peer review generally means that only good papers tend to be published, many other good papers are sacrificed along the way, and many journals and reviewers are affected by conflicts of interest themselves. But there are a few instances now of self-publication creating serious problems, especially in herptiles and Canada Geese.

3. Questionable "medicine" being meted about by ornithologists, via SACC, to address these issues. We now have a non-peer reviewed, non-objective, chatty, vitriolic, entirely critical piece as a SACC proposal to address the problems raised by the non-peer reviewed, non-objective paper. Pots and kettles, calling each other different colours. The proposal makes no effort whatsoever to make the positive case for the taxonomic proposal being reviewed and seems only intended to grandstand, flag-wave, criticize, express disgust and achieve an objective of having the work rejected.

Unfortunately, SACC has an illustrious and long history of trashing external works in one-sided, myopic, uninformative, often (as here) vitriolic, unpublicable proposals. In some cases, they have been proven wrong. See this (non-peer reviewed, self published) open letter:

Donegan TM 2019. On conflicts of interest, bias and deviations from the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature in a taxonomic committee, the South American Classification Committee of the American Ornithologists' Society: an analysis of previous cases, with recommendations for reform. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.35777.51047
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Ornithologists'

4. That leaves the rest of us wondering what to do. I am sure the description leaves a lot to be desired; the conflict with molecular results is probably very informative. However, when I see pieces like this, and not knowing the birds at all, the only thing you can do is say "meh" and remain to be convinced either way. The SACC proposal ticks the box on pretty much every indicator of "pseudo-scepticism" discussed in the above-mentioned paper, continuing a long tradition of such SACC behaviour. That something is pseudosceptic does not make it incorrect. However, just like the description of lopezlanusi, there is no objective way for the reader to have any positive conclusions about such a piece.

You could defend the proposal with a NEW COMMENT if you feel so strongly.

I didn't think Krabbe was ever a SACC member btw (maybe I'm wrong?), and you seem to be ranting at him, as well as SACC, (NACC) and the A.O.U./ A.O.S. Is Bernabe Lopez-Lanus a friend of yours? Or what got the bee in your bonnet this time... just the mere mention of a SACC proposal on a new species?

I think the downfall of this paper is the lack of a diagnosis, as was the case in the two other new species descriptions by the same author, beyond all the other perceived problems whether or not they are admissible by the Code.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 15:37   #24
thomasdonegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomorphus View Post
You could defend the proposal with a NEW COMMENT if you feel so strongly.
Presumably this is in jest. Not on good terms with that lot these days...! And anyway, I don't defend the description, I criticise the SACC proposal critique of it.

Quote:
I didn't think Krabbe was ever a SACC member btw (maybe I'm wrong?), and you seem to be ranting at him, as well as SACC, (NACC) and the A.O.U./ A.O.S. Is Bernabe Lopez-Lanus a friend of yours?
It's odd you would think that, as the message accuses BLL of doing something that is in bad taste and bad manners, conflicted and ought to be prohibited! [For what it's worth, I've met BLL a few times when he worked in Colombia over a decade ago, and corresponded extensively with NK in the past.]

Quote:
Or what got the bee in your bonnet this time.
(1) A description that should not have been published like that and (2) SACC yet again forgetting the "two wrongs don't make a right" mantra and repeating poor behaviours. I think that is clear, no?

Quote:
I think the downfall of this paper is the lack of a diagnosis, as was the case in the two other new species descriptions by the same author, beyond all the other perceived problems whether or not they are admissible by the Code.
OK.

Last edited by thomasdonegan : Friday 31st January 2020 at 15:40.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 17:01   #25
thomasdonegan

As above, don't support the description at all but ... going through that SACC proposal:

"Undoubtedly inspired by the splitting of Upucerthia saturatior from Upucerthia dumetaria (Areta and Pearman 2009), López-Lanús (2019) wrote a paper"
- Aim not of finding the truth, but to discredit.
- Ad hominem attack up front: making aspersions about past behaviour to discredit current proposal without addressing any of the facts.

"It is extremely tedious to work through the 34 pages of the paper. It almost seems as if the author has deliberately both convoluted and stretched the relevant data into a nearly unreadable form and then used a rare font (Agency FB) that makes one feel like being in a labyrinth."
- Vitriolic tone
- Non-specific or superficial commentaries.
- Relevant?

"It appears that the approach is to come up with possible ways of making data fit the initial theory (that two species are involved), rather than focusing on the likeliness of alternative explanations. "
- Vitriolic tone
- Speculation.

"...the description of Cinclodes lopezlanusorum has not been through a critical reviewer process. Two anonymous reviewers are thanked in the acknowledgments section, but as the author and the editor are one and the same, there is no guarantee that the reviewers’ recommendations were followed. In fact, I strongly suspect that they were not."
- Accusation of dishonesty
- Speculation
- Going straight to publication without giving those criticised the chance to respond or comment (you would have thought, speculating here!).

There is also some good information and interesting observations and proper critique in the SACC proposal by Krabbe, presenting helpful analytical discussions and the author's own experiences with this and related species, of course, but why does it let itself down with all the other stuff?

I call again to play the ball and not the man in taxonomic discourse!!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: