Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

natural england grant brood management license

Old Friday 19th January 2018, 13:59   #1
Paul Longland

natural england grant brood management license

So natural England appear to have sold out to the shooting lobby despite condemnation of the scheme by RSPB and others
https://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/C...s_id=202648007
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 15:03   #2
lewis20126

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
So natural England appear to have sold out to the shooting lobby despite condemnation of the scheme by RSPB and others
https://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/C...s_id=202648007
Genuinely shocking. This is much much worse than the Buzzard licence.

cheers, a
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 15:10   #3
peter.jones

I never thought I would live to see such disgusting action in this country.
It's actually worse than what has been going on for the last however many years of persecution. And that was appalling.
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 17:15   #4
andyadcock

This is truly shocking, can we appeal to the EU while we're still in it, may as well get something from it?

A
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 20:47   #5
John Cantelo

Those sitting on the NE board with (direct and indirect) interests in farming (too many!) and the Chief Executive Officer of the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust(!) may well be happy with this flawed scheme. However, I find it hard to imagine that those on the NE board who have a sound grounding in science and conservation can be happy going along with such a transparent sop to driven grouse shooting and they must surely be "considering their position". Two or three judicious resignations over this matter would seriously damage the scheme or cause more public scrutiny even if it doesn't scupper it directly. At the very least it would surely preserve their reputations.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 20:57   #6
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Those sitting on the NE board with (direct and indirect) interests in farming (too many!) and the Chief Executive Officer of the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust(!) may well be happy with this flawed scheme. However, I find it hard to imagine that those on the NE board who have a sound grounding in science and conservation can be happy going along with such a transparent sop to driven grouse shooting and they must surely be "considering their position". Two or three judicious resignations over this matter would seriously damage the scheme or cause more public scrutiny even if it doesn't scupper it directly. At the very least it would surely preserve their reputations.
Would be a nice gesture, but wouldn't it just compromise NE even further? If all the good people resigned, they would be replaced with more pro-hunting lackeys. Then we'd see all of NE's reserves opened up to shooting (including those not currently so) and an end to any meaningful wildlife protection in the whole country.
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 21:44   #7
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Would be a nice gesture, but wouldn't it just compromise NE even further? If all the good people resigned, they would be replaced with more pro-hunting lackeys. Then we'd see all of NE's reserves opened up to shooting (including those not currently so) and an end to any meaningful wildlife protection in the whole country.
Generally, that would be my position but there comes a point where a stand must be made. Frankly, one could argue that their presence isn't doing much good at the moment as NE is already happily pushing an agenda determined by pro-shooting groups. By continuing in post they not only acquiesce to this barmy scheme but make NE appear fit for purpose which it clearly is not. I really doubt that it would be politically feasible to stuff it with more pro-hunting/farming interests (there are too many already) as it would run the risk of seriously backfiring by making transparently an instrument not for conservation but for landed interests. I doubt too that introducing shooting to reserves where none exists would be possible given the outcry and level of protest. The Conservatives have clearly recognised that they need a green agenda to attract young people and any such move would blow that sky high.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 20th January 2018, 18:29   #8
Johnny1

This whole scheme stinks! Natural England should be used for using the word "Natural" what's natural about removing wild birds from the nest and relocating them elsewhere?
Old Saturday 20th January 2018, 20:57   #9
Farnboro John

This is disgraceful but not surprising from a government elbow deep in corruption, sleaze, cronyism and all the worst Victorian values.

John
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 09:17   #10
Paul Longland

I know that the so called "custodians of the countryside" have to balance the interests of those who make a living from the land and the other habitants (ie the wildlife etc) but this just stinks of pandering to those with the deepest pockets and friends in high places. Just how is this supposed to help the plight of the Hen Harrier?

Gamekeepers will know exactly where the birds are going to be released, will probably be lining up to take pot shots at them, and those that have actually managed to survive being hand reared (begs another question as to who exactly will be supervising the rearing process) may well be partially imprinted such that they have no natural wariness of humans and therefore easy targets.

Another thought also springs to mind... Having removed eggs/chicks from nests what effect is this going to have on the parents? One can only assume that they will perceive it as predation and therefore nest failure which may well dissuade them from nesting in the area again if their success rate is low.
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 14:56   #11
andyadcock

Quote:

Gamekeepers will know exactly where the birds are going to be released, will probably be lining up to take pot shots at them, and those that have actually managed to survive being hand reared (begs another question as to who exactly will be supervising the rearing process) may well be partially imprinted such that they have no natural wariness of humans and therefore easy targets.

Another thought also springs to mind... Having removed eggs/chicks from nests what effect is this going to have on the parents? One can only assume that they will perceive it as predation and therefore nest failure which may well dissuade them from nesting in the area again if their success rate is low.
Not great for British H Harrier population but what about releasing on the continent, lesser of two evils?

A
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 15:20   #12
Paul Longland

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Not great for British H Harrier population but what about releasing on the continent, lesser of two evils?

A
Either that or other areas (Mull maybe) where there is less persecution (ie where there is little or no driven grouse shooting). Hopefully the birds will be satellite tagged on release so that they can be tracked.
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 19:11   #13
DavidST

Do (un) Natural England have an A.G.M. of any sort or form?
Or any public meetings at all?
Sorry to display my ignorance on this fora
Thanks for your time and trouble
Be lucky
David
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 13:54   #14
Paul Longland

Latest update here
http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Co...t-license.aspx
Seems that the general public (who of course were never consulted) are concerned enough to raise the money to mount a legal challenge in just four days.

Power to the people!!
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 16:52   #15
Mary
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Latest update here
http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Co...t-license.aspx
Seems that the general public (who of course were never consulted) are concerned enough to raise the money to mount a legal challenge in just four days.

Power to the people!!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th March 2018, 19:47   #16
John Cantelo

I'm pleased to see that the RSPB is now, belatedly, also supporting a legal challenge. As one of those who contributed to the legal fund which seems to have pushed them into action, can I ask for the next couple of years of RSPB membership to be gratis?

Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 05:34   #17
wolfbirder

"Natural England" want to interfere with nature.

Not quite so natural eh!

Hang your heads in shame.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Monty, Gyr, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Nightjars, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, Divers, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 06:43   #18
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
I'm pleased to see that the RSPB is now, belatedly, also supporting a legal challenge. As one of those who contributed to the legal fund which seems to have pushed them into action, can I ask for the next couple of years of RSPB membership to be gratis?
The RSPB support for legal challenge is independent of the first one, and is not inspired by/pushed into action by it. It's much easier for a single individual (Avery) to act more nimbly than a massive organisation (RSPB). Let's just be glad that RSPB have added their significant heft to our side of this fight...
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 12:43   #19
Paul Longland

The biggest disappointment from my perspective is that the Hawk & Owl trust are taking part in the scheme.
A suggested in #5 surely it is time for such an organization to make a stand and withdraw. I suspect that if they did a poll of their membership they would wake up and smell the coffee.
Old Thursday 15th March 2018, 08:39   #20
z-ben

What you all seem to forget is that this country has always put the emphasis on money that is why thieves get longer prison sentences than murdering rapists .
ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 08:59   #21
John S. Armitage

John, as a former RSPB employee before retirement I'm really troubled by the seemingly weak and shallow approach taken nowadays, which is also inconsistent at times. Doubtless much ( hopefully ) is going on behind the scenes, but never seems to result in change. To many the RSPB would seem to be the automatic front runner when matters of this sort arise , but increasingly it appears that role is abdicated, but the Society appears oblivious to its credibility reducing . I banged on about this yesterday on my own Blog
( https://www.birdingodyssey.blogspot.com/ ) as I feel there's a danger that the current, virtually non-existent breeding population in England will be accepted as the norm , persecution will quietly continue unabated and action will revolve around continuous arguments between opposing parties and no change will result. The issue needs a new focus which I believe could first of all involve real pressure being put on Govt. How about a target of 500 letters on Michael Gove's desk next week , and the one after that too. John.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: