• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anybody help me ID these two species? (1 Viewer)

Spadge1

Hello all

I live in north Wales and have recently bought a decent camera as I enjoy taking photos. I'm very keen to get into photographing wildlife and especially birds.

I have already taken a couple of less than great pics but there are two that are puzzling me. As I am no expert on bird recognition when it comes to the less that obvious species, I was hoping that somebody on these forums would be able to identify the two birds in the attached photographs for me. Both photographs were taken in the hills of north Wales.

I would be most grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Croppedpic1.jpg
    Croppedpic1.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Croppedpic2.jpg
    Croppedpic2.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 111
Hallo Spadge 1,

first one is a Dunnock. Please note the right lead grey colour, which is enough for ID in a common bird, when everything else is right (like in this case).

Second is a first year Wheatear, please note: white rump and black tail (white parts arent visible as tail is folded). Overall colours also fit.
There are rarer wheatear-species, but a young wheatear in Wales is a Northern Wheatear by distrubution.

I did wonder if the second one might be a Wheatear. I had no clue about the Dunnock though. Many thanks to both of you for sharing your expertise in identifying them.

Agree with the ID's. This is quite early for a juv Wheatear to appear: the adults don't return till late March, so this bird's parents didn't waste much time !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back