Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Warbler Song, Durham, UK

Old Tuesday 9th June 2020, 19:05   #1
Mark Harper
World Birder

Warbler Song, Durham, UK

Recorded this unseen Warbler song on the coast this afternoon. I didn't recognise it, although it seems to have some Whitethroat qualities about it. After several minutes continuous singing it went quiet and I never heard it again.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Warbler Song.wav (2.39 MB, 336 views)
Old Tuesday 9th June 2020, 19:38   #2
RafaelMatias

Perhaps one of the Acrocephalus? Sedge?
Old Tuesday 9th June 2020, 21:49   #3
KenM

Doesn’t sound like Sedge to my ear, believe I can hear a few “chip” and “chirp” notes, don’t know if Melodious Warbler might be in there somewhere?

Cheers
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 07:54   #4
SteveClifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harper View Post
Recorded this unseen Warbler song on the coast this afternoon. I didn't recognise it, although it seems to have some Whitethroat qualities about it. After several minutes continuous singing it went quiet and I never heard it again.
As you probably know there's a mini influx of Blyth's Reed Warbler going on in the UK at the moment. Having listened to a few recordings online, that's where my money would be.

There is clearly considerable variation, but this recent one from Norfolk is quite similar:https://www.xeno-canto.org/562700

Last edited by SteveClifton : Wednesday 10th June 2020 at 07:59.
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 08:49   #5
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

Well, I don't get an Acro feel here at all; it sounds more like Blackcap to me.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 09:28   #6
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

This is what I love about birding, a lot of experienced folk ( well five so far!), each suggesting a different possible species! Nobody has suggested Marsh Warbler yet, did it ramble on with the same phrases Mark or do other imitations during the several minutes it was singing? I don’t really recognize it as Marsh though from the recording so Blyth’s Reed sounds feasible listening to Steve’s xeno canto clip and especially considering the influx you’re having over there.
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 09:37   #7
Mark Harper
World Birder

It sounded pretty similar the whole time, I certainly didn’t pick out any repeating mimicry. No sign today of it.
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 10:33   #8
CARERY

I'm in the Blackcap camp. Sometimes they don't feel like singing the usual song...

http://birds-in-flight.net
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 10:37   #9
Alexander Stöhr

I am with Dave and Roland: a Blackcap for me.
Allmost every year, I heasr one or two Blackcaps that sing extremly similar to a Sedge Warbler. And then its allways the same: "Oh, a Sedge Warbler... Yes, it is (I have heard many of them, so I feel confident to ID them against Reed and Marsh Warblers quite easy. But as I regular are in a region in SW-Germany, where Sedge Warbler is a scarce/rare migrant and even rarer as a breeding bird, and with this experience, I wait until I see the Blackcap or it turns the song to a more regular Blackcap-version (which they sometimes doesnt do!).
And sometimes I hear Blackcaps that gave a "strange" feeling. Theyre song can be described as a "hard to describe" Sylvia-warbler song, that sounds at first to contain imitations, but youre not sure about that. Then I allways hope for a rarer Warbler species, that I dont have much experience with. But its (nearly) allways a Blackcap.

I get this impression from this recording: so a Blackcap for me . And I dont get the feeling of a Melodious Warbler
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 10:44   #10
Mark Harper
World Birder

There are plenty of Blackcaps in the area, but Blackcap never entered my mind whilst listening to it.
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 10:50   #11
BobbitWorm45

Could be Garden Warbler
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 12:52   #12
harr1y

My initial thought was Blackcap but it seemed a bit long winded which i always then revert to my fallback species which is Garden Warbler which to me sounds like a Blackcap that doesnt know when to stop

Last edited by harr1y : Wednesday 10th June 2020 at 14:38.
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 14:29   #13
KenM

There is almost certainly a Blackcap singing on the tape, but I don’t believe that is Mark’s “subject” song?, and those notes to my ear do sound distinctly odd, implying not a “regular” Sylvia. Agree with harr1y regarding the manic Garden Warbler v the more measured Blackcap.

Cheers
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 15:01   #14
RafaelMatias

Note that my initial comment had no ID value, it was a 'shot from the hip' mostly intended to broaden the discussion; Sedge was suggested because this is a common coastal migrant in the UK and also because some notes were somewhat suggestive of one to me (not a typical song though). Listening to the recording again I still have some difficulty in hearing there a (typical) Sylvia (but perhaps not an impossible option). If I have the time I'll try to analyse it more properly.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: