Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Peru Birding and Kolibri Expeditions information Request

Old Friday 13th January 2006, 16:49   #1
Larry Lade
Super Moderator

Peru Birding and Kolibri Expeditions information Request

I am posting this for a friend in Saint Louis, Missouri. I have also invited him to become a member of BirdForum. Then he would be able to query the membership concerning any birding information he may want.

I am considering a trip to Peru this summer. Does
anyone have any imput about Kolibri Expeditions.

Hopefully, someone will be able to respond to his request for info.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th January 2006, 17:49   #2
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lade
I am posting this for a friend in Saint Louis, Missouri. I have also invited him to become a member of BirdForum. Then he would be able to query the membership concerning any birding information he may want.

I am considering a trip to Peru this summer. Does
anyone have any imput about Kolibri Expeditions.

Hopefully, someone will be able to respond to his request for info.
yeah,

run by Gunnar Engblom

nice bloke

trips are very 'budget birder' oriented. he can get you to the birds cheaply but it might be a bit of an adventure. some don't like it that way, others love it... a bit of net research should yield some interesting results!

Tim
Old Friday 13th January 2006, 20:14   #3
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

Since earlier years they've changed quite a bit and now offer trips at various levels; from the very basic to the luxurious (as "luxurious" as possible in some of these regions - don't expect 5 star hotels in the Amazon! Indeed, at a few of the top birding localities in Peru camping is the only option). The most luxurious tours are sold under the sub-name "Marvellous Spatuletail Tours". When it comes to showing people the birds they're as good and reliable as the other well established companies. Gunnar Engbloem has also been in the very front when it comes to finding areas that previously were unvisited by groups. BTW; Gunnar is a member of BF...

Last edited by Rasmus Boegh : Friday 13th January 2006 at 20:23.

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th January 2006, 22:45   #4
Larry Lade
Super Moderator

Tim and Rasmus, thank you for your comments. I will pass your information on to my birding friend in Saint Louis.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th January 2006, 16:41   #5
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
yeah,

run by Gunnar Engblom

nice bloke

trips are very 'budget birder' oriented. he can get you to the birds cheaply but it might be a bit of an adventure. some don't like it that way, others love it... a bit of net research should yield some interesting results!

Tim
your idea of 'budget' and mine I very different Tim! Budget for me is buses and a few trip reports.

Do recommend their pelagic as there is probably no other reasonable way to get the see birds.

Steve
Old Wednesday 18th January 2006, 18:05   #6
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs
your idea of 'budget' and mine I very different Tim! Budget for me is buses and a few trip reports.

Do recommend their pelagic as there is probably no other reasonable way to get the see birds.

Steve
me too Steve

I've never been on any of his trips and have always done it myself. But he is a lot cheaper than the major operators...by a long way, and invilved in conservation projects on the ground over there too which counts for a heck of lot

Tim
Old Wednesday 18th January 2006, 18:50   #7
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
me too Steve

I've never been on any of his trips and have always done it myself. But he is a lot cheaper than the major operators...by a long way, and invilved in conservation projects on the ground over there too which counts for a heck of lot

Tim
Thinking about it I do have some opinions about Kolibri - which I think I'd rather share by PM.

Steve
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: