Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is this a Kingbird?

Old Monday 29th May 2006, 04:24   #1
sasmith_93

Is this a Kingbird?

This bird has started hanging around the last couple of weeks but I can't find it in my books. Can someone identify it for me?

Thanks!
Steph

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...o/May06355.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...o/May06353.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...o/May06227.jpg
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 04:40   #2
Dave B Smith

The first two are Northern Mockingbird. The third photo looks like a Kingbird but are those wingbars in the photo?

Last edited by Dave B Smith : Monday 29th May 2006 at 04:44.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th May 2006, 04:44   #3
Katy Penland

Agree with mocker for the first two, and I believe the 3rd is a Western Kingbird.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2010 2014 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th May 2006, 05:02   #4
sasmith_93

Thank you for the replies! Can someone explain to me the differences between the kingbird and the mockingbird? These birds all look the same to me...help! lol

Steph
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 05:19   #5
Kolya
Kolya

This is a western kingbird . . .

I think the third is mockingbird too but here is a western kingbird for comparison.

The tail is shorter and is overall not as long and slender as a mockingbird.

Definitely not an eastern kingbird either; which stands much more vertically . .

Look for that white wing flash when they fly . . on a mockingbird.

good to compare the two as both favor high points to sing from. Mockingbirds are fairly indiscriminate . .they'll use anything . . rooftops, antenna, telephone pole, etc. . kingbirds tend to stay more to natural trees, etc. . .

Where in Texas are you?

Kolya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westernking.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	47402  

Last edited by Kolya : Monday 29th May 2006 at 05:22.

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th May 2006, 05:20   #6
Katy Penland

The kingbird is a gray, white and yellow bird with no wing bars. A mockingbird is also gray but has no yellow on it whatsoever and has two white wingbars.

In the warm light of early morning or late afternoon, its underparts could show warmer tones especially on the underbelly, as yours does here. But never the lemon yellow of a kingbird. The photo's color register is also off, showing the wire and the bird as being brown rather than in the gray tones that would normally be the case.

When I lightened the first two shots in Photoshop, not only were the wingbars more obvious, but I could also see the characteristic thin, darkish eyeline that runs through the mocker's eye from bill to just behind the eye.

However, both birds have white outer tail feathers and both birds are a medium gray on top, so I can certainly understand how they could be hard to differentiate unless you get good looks at them in good light.

Or if they are singing. Mockingbirds are just wonderful to listen to and have a hugely variable repertoire of songs whose phrases they repeat 3-5 times and can sing for several minutes without stopping. A kingbird sounds nothing remotely close to what I'd call "singing" -- more like rhythmic call notes.

Edited to dissemble :

Y'know, I think I'm changing my mind about that 3rd photo. I have to agree with Kolya about how incredibly long that tail is. I'm also thinking the bill looks too long for a kingbird, and I can even imagine seeing an eyeline more clearly here. But I'm still very much bothered by no wing bars and by the yellow belly (even with all the red/brown taken out of the photo, that belly is still yellow, which is not a mocker characteristic).

But I also know not to trust the way colors are represented on the 'net and on individual monitors, so assuming the belly isn't really yellow, that still leaves the wingbar question. Maybe the bird is in molt and they aren't showing as prominently as they otherwise would?

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2010 2014 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th May 2006, 06:32   #7
sasmith_93

I see what you mean about the last picture. It does appear to have a yellowish tint to the belly and questionable wing bars. Who knows...hopefully I'll see it again and get some better photos.

Kolya...I am from Tyler, TX.

Thank you all for your input!!
Steph
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 11:40   #8
swamp_rattler

the first two are northern mockingbirds. i'll agree that the last pic is of a kingbird species, but I think there is a chance that this is an immature Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (which are kingbirds). Just throwing that out there.
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 12:16   #9
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp_rattler
the first two are northern mockingbirds. i'll agree that the last pic is of a kingbird species, but I think there is a chance that this is an immature Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (which are kingbirds). Just throwing that out there.
You're right in Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. They're very common in Texas, while a Western Kingbird would be something of a find in East Texas, if I remember well (I stopped keeping records of either pretty soon when I visited Texas 11 years ago).
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 14:00   #10
jcwings

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher would be my guess too on the last shot.
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 14:19   #11
steveo
King Midas in reverse

the third pic is a mocker I think its just lighting that gives the underside a yellowish look. Can someone find a picture that would match the third bird as a mocker or a scissor juvie.
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 14:45   #12
Terry O'Nolley
Cow-headed Jaybird

I think all 3 pics are mockingbirds.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th May 2006, 19:26   #13
sasmith_93

Wow...I didn't think about the sissortail! That definitely adds to my confusion! lol

I appreciate all of the help!
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 19:54   #14
JANJ

Swamp rattler is on the spot, no Kingbird has such a long tail, to mention one character. Shorther tail is probably due to 2cy (SY). Also notice the tertial pattern!

http://www.backyardbirdcam.com/galle...tailed-juv.htm

JanJ
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 23:47   #15
Katy Penland

Wonderful, JanJ, as usual. Hats off to swamp_rattler!

Old Tuesday 30th May 2006, 00:53   #16
dtpavlik
Bugger

The first 2 are without a doubt Northern Mockingbirds and the 3rd picture is Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. The tail looks to be the size of the body. No kingbird (besides Scissor-tailed Flycatcher) in Texas will have this long of a tail. Like stated above, Scissor-tailed is very common in Texas.

David
Old Tuesday 30th May 2006, 02:18   #17
AmpelisChinito
Cedar Waxwing Chairman

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a Great Crested Flycatcher as a possible suspect for the 3rd pic. I know the tail doesnt match, but lighting can play tricks with colors, but I think a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is a great possibility.
Ohio Wesleyan University 2011, for zoology with an emphasis on ornithology under Dr. Jed Burtt, the president-elect of the American Ornithologists Union.

Last edited by AmpelisChinito : Tuesday 30th May 2006 at 02:20.
Old Tuesday 30th May 2006, 14:28   #18
dtpavlik
Bugger

Great-creasted Flycatcher will be darker brown, wont have an eye stripe and will sit more upright. Also the tail gives it away. With the long tail, black eyestripe and grayish above this is a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. It could be a female because they tend to have shorter tails than males.

David Pavlik
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: