• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledgling Backyard Birder (1 Viewer)

WingedOne

Meditating
The hatching of a fledgling birder:

Interest in birds, and bird types that were munching at my feeders changed when I transferred a feeder from the front yard to the apricot tree in the back yard. The ground in the backyard is protected with plastic and rocks, so that the bird seeds don’t sprout.
( However, I’m still not sure what to do with the piles of niger (thistle) leavings that the finches toss here and there on the rocks, and somehow eventually end up in my house.)

The first entry into the bird siting log was February 19, 2002, when I saw the first “different” bird hopping around my yard. It’s colorful presence built my curiosity up so I started investigating on the Internet. The bird came several times, and I noticed that it never went to the seed feeders, but perched on the fence and eventually landed on the ground and was feeding there. The feeding habit of this bird was one of the identifying features that distinguished it from other birds that seemed similar in description. This turned out to be the Common Yellow Throat

Common Yellow Throat – first bird documented in my log

Types of Sparrows I sited at my feeders:

Black Throated Sparrow
White Crowned Sparrow

Types of Finches at my feeders:

Lesser Finch – now the fledglings number 15-20 per feeding sock + the wooden finch feeder. These finches are here from dawn to dusk!
House Finch – feeds regularly
Cassin’s Finch – feeds regularly

Doves feeding on the ground: feed regularly

Increased from one pair to six pair

Scruff Blue Jays ( I have a grievance with these birds)

At this point, I only list those birds that are at my feeders as backyard birds. There are many other birds harboring in the trees, sitting on wires, and I hear an owl every morning and evening, but I have no clue where it lives.

Of course this situation brings a cadre of outdoor cats to my yard as well, which means that I have to be on watch quite frequently. I don’t want to discourage the cats totally. They are good mousers too!

I recently started visiting one of the coastal birdying sites here in Ventura. I would like to name the birds I’ve seen, but I’m very hesitant since I’m so new at this, and fear posting the wrong information. But I have d/loaded pictures of birds other people have sighted, and maybe I can identify them by their descriptions and pics, and become more confident in posting what I see.

A fledgling, ^Wings^

:eat:

Wings,

Isn't it fun to find a new passion in life...birding sure fits that for me....and I, too, started with my backyard feeders. I love watching bird behavior at the feeders as well: territory, courting, raising young, et.

I am in an apartment complet and face the woods, so I get a good variety of birds. Depending on the season I regularly have at either the feeders or birdbath: Chickadees, Titmouse, Downeys, Hairys, Red Bellied, WB Nuthatch, RB Nuthatch (when they are here), Doves, Cardinals, Towhees, White Throated Sparrows, House Sparrows, Catbirds, Jays, Grackles & Starlings (of course!), RW Blackbirds, Crows, Cowbirds, Finches, Goldfinches, Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Juncos, Brown Creeper (all winter last year for the first time), Rose Breasted Grosbeak (Only for a few days in the spring).

I have seen in the trees, but not at the feeders: Ovenbird, Black & White Warbler, Yellow Rumped Warbler, Kinglet, Gr. Crested Flycatcher, Blue Grey Gnatcatcher, Flicker. Also, during breeding season, I have a family of Canada Geese visit the feeder with their young each year, an occassional Mallard, and every winter there is a Sharp Shinned Hawk that stalks the feeders. I have never seen him catch anything, but he must or he wouldn't keep coming back. Then there is the possum that comes and of course...............the ever present.........Squirrels!!!!! :)

And yes, cats....

Backyard birding

Dianne,

I find it very interesting that we can be half a continent apart and still viewing very similar birds in our backyards. I live in north central Texas, and your list could have been my list:

At my feeders: Chickadees, Titmouse, Downeys, Hairy (one time only), Red Bellied, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, RB Nuthatch, Doves (Mourning, Inca, and White-winged), Cardinals, House Sparrows, Blue Jays, Grackles (Great-tail and Common) & Starlings (of course!), Crows, Cowbirds, House Finch, American Goldfinch, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Dark-eyed Juncos, Carolina Wren, Ruby-throated Hummer.

I have seen in the trees, but not at the feeders: Brown Creeper (every winter), Yellow Rumped Warbler, Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglet, Blue Grey Gnatcatcher, Flicker. I would add American Robin, Winter Wren, Cedar Waxwing, Yellow Warbler, Chimney Swift, Pine Warbler, and Swainson's Warbler, Eastern Bluebird. In the skies - Mississippi Kite, cormorants, Turkey and Black Vulture, Great Blue Heron, White Egret, and Little Blue Heron. I've heard the Short-eared Owl bark. We have even seen the Whooping Crane pass over as they head down to Anahuac. We, too, have possums and squirrels and squirrels and squirrels!

Wings,

I know what you mean about the fledging part. I have been at this about 2 years now and still feel like an amature. I started bird watching after nursing a Cedar Wax Wing back to health after a trip to Costa Rica with a bird watcher friend. All I did is have fun, did not log the wild birds at that time, boy I wish I did I saw wild Amazons and Toocans. But since I can't find the pictures I have yet to log them. Anyway its amazing to me how fast those with experience can ID birds. But maybe someday I too will get better. Its kinda fun however I noticed to be alone and truly ID one that is right out of the book that you are 100% sure of. I have birded with pros and it is more fun from a comeraditiy point of view, but heck by the time they say "see there is a such and such", I am just getting focused.

I love the sport and I think you will also.

Pat

I think that is one of the attractions of birdwatching, there are always new species to come across. I have been birdwatching more years than I care to remember and whilst I have the garden birds down pat, some of the countryside and especially shore birds leave me reaching for the guide book.
Whilst it's nice to be able to identify every bird straight away, I prefer to take it easy, if I don't get it down that time, there is always the next ;) Is that what they call a 'gentle learning curve' ?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back