• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another bloomin' Armenian Warbler! (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Apologies, found 1 more warbler in my Armash pics! I believe all 3 of these are the same bird. I suspect this is also just a reed warbler, but want to rule out great reed and paddyfield. Apologies for all the warbler spam, I'm useless at Acro warblers!

Attachments

• P1130258 (2).JPG
    P1130258 (2).JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 78
  • P1130259 (2).jpg
    P1130259 (2).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 68
  • P1130263 (2).jpg
    P1130263 (2).jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 74
you can rule out great reed and paddyfield but i can't rule out marsh warbler from these pics. even though general colour is rusty-reddish, so very likely another scirpaceus.

you can rule out great reed and paddyfield but i can't rule out marsh warbler from these pics. even though general colour is rusty-reddish, so very likely another scirpaceus.

The indicated primary projection on the third picture supports your view, Lou, but I have one question: does taxon fuscus share the same range of pp as taxon scirpaceus?

I'm not a ringer, and so I have no source of data to hand.
Yours aye,
Mike

hi mike, neither am i a ringer, but as far as i know in either scirpaceus and fuscus northern populations generally are longer winged while southern populations are shorter winged. quite a complex situation, this article just showing part of it: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03078698.2012.749734
the thing is that even within central (and western) european populations wing length varies a lot in eurasian reed warbler as you probably suggested with your question.

Last edited:
hi mike, neither am i a ringer, but as far as i know in either scirpaceus and fuscus northern populations generally are generally longer winged while southern populations are shorter winged. quite a complex situation, this article just showing part of it: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03078698.2012.749734
the thing is that even within central (and western) european populations wing length varies a lot in eurasian reed warbler as you probably suggested with your question.

Thanks for that reference! I've seen breeding Reed Warbler taxa in Greek Cyprus and in the Balearics, and they do seem compact. Migrant RW taxa stopping off in the reedbeds of Akrotiri Salt Lake, on the other hand, are easily confusable with the occasional Marsh Warblers that I've found on the reedbed edges, usually in short, thin scrub or on saplings.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back