• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serin or Siskin? (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
I always struggle to seperate these birds, so help will be appreciated. Taken today in Andalucia, Spain.

Attachments

• DSC_5307.jpg
    DSC_5307.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_5311.jpg
    DSC_5311.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 121
Dito to Serin; for starters note the stort, stubby bill, Siskin has a longer, slenderer bill for getting seeds out of deeper crevices like between alder cone scales.

I wouldn't have thought this species pair were confusable until recently, when I watched a serin in Portugal, and was struck by how similar the barring on the flanks looked to a siskin - it initially made me doubt my ID. As Nutcracker says though, the bill shape is really very different.

Grand Tetons National Park - similiar to our ‘Paps’ of Jura...

Laurie:t:

Re: Serin i don’t really find them confusable with Siskin at all and i only ever see them once annually on a foreign trip.

Re: Serin i don’t really find them confusable with Siskin at all and i only ever see them once annually on a foreign trip.

It's great you have that skill level, but I can understand the OPs confusion. I never have thought so before, but a brief glimpse of the flanks in a eucalyptus tree of what I'd presumed was a serin, before I got a decent view out in the open, certainly looked siskin-like (although siskin was much less likely in the location / habitat - edge of orange grove on the coast).

Yes - they are definitely superficially similar. Depending on views and previous experience could be confused for sure imo. Out of range, unexpected ...

That's confusing ;)

Many thanks for the replies. I am relieved that some other people found it difficult to differentiate between these birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back