• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September moths 2007 (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Only new species for the year last night was pale eggar.
A couple of nice peach blossoms - otherwise much the usual crowd.

It turned out that one of the 'micros' that I sent to my CR was a pinion-streaked snout. Looking at the book I'm not surprised I overlooked it.

Anyone able to tell me which wave it is? - I'm now heading towards small fan-footed.

Ken

Attachments

• peach blossom.jpg
    peach blossom.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 99
  • pale eggar.jpg
    pale eggar.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 108
  • spectacle 1b.jpg
    spectacle 1b.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 102
  • poss dwarf cream wave.jpg
    poss dwarf cream wave.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 111
  • black arches.jpg
    black arches.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Now that you say that, David, that was my first thought. But I got put off by the extra dark third cross line. Riband wave it is.
Ken

Not much to report. A small dusty wave (new for year) came to house lights on 2nd.
Last night I only had large yellow underwing, lesser yellow underwing, ruby tiger, oak lutestring, square-spot rustic and a few micros (1 hornet). Also white-shouldered house-moth in garden shed this evening.
Ken

Attachments

• small dusty wave ex3421(800).jpg
    small dusty wave ex3421(800).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 96
A nice frosted orange was new for the year (5th Sept)
Apart from all the usual square-spot rustics, Set. Hebrew chars, large yellow underwings, I had
lesser swallow prominent (late?)
pale eggar (3)
canary-shouldered thorn
oak lute-string (2)
common rustic agg
angle shades
rosy rustic
various micros

c6 wasps
c5 hornets
sev. beetles (not retained)
It's still too dark for photos but I may be able to post one or two later.
Ken

Attachments

• frosted orange ex3455 (500).JPG
    frosted orange ex3455 (500).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
My list from last night. Four species of geo.

0647 Brown House-moth (Hofmannophila pseudospretella) 1
1048 Garden Rose Tortrix (Acleris variegana) 3
1076 Celypha lacunana 2
1316 Catoptria falsella 1
1331 Water Veneer (Acentria ephemerella) 7
1356 Garden Pebble (Evergestis forficalis) 1
1713 Riband Wave (Idaea aversata) ab. remutata 2
1776 Green Carpet (Colostygia pectinataria) 2
1862 Double-striped Pug (Gymnoscelis rufifasciata) 1
1906 Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata) 1
2107 Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) 11
2109 Lesser Yellow Underwing (Noctua comes) 3
2111 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (Noctua janthe) 1
2126 Setaceous Hebrew Character (Xestia c-nigrum) 2
2134 Square-spot Rustic (Xestia xanthographa) 9
2199 Common Wainscot (Mythimna pallens) 3
2269 Centre-barred Sallow (Atethmia centrago) 3
2293 Marbled Beauty (Cryphia domestica) 1
2343x Common Rustic agg. (Mesapamea secalis agg.) 1
2353 Flounced Rustic (Luperina testacea) 6
2361 Rosy Rustic (Hydraecia micacea) 1
2384 Vine's Rustic (Hoplodrina ambigua) 1
2477 The Snout (Hypena proboscidalis) 3

two from North Brittany

This must surely be a Green Carpet? The second one I don't know. Both came to the outside light in North Brittany. Not a good photo of the unknown moth and I couldn't wait for better light because the friends who were with me had no interest in moths whatsoever .. shame .. so I couldn't hang about.
I've come home to find my moth trap not working ..... groan groan. :-C and it's such a still night after a gorgeous day.

Nice frosted orange, Ken.

Nerine

Attachments

• green carpet 2 Sep Fr.jpg
    green carpet 2 Sep Fr.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 100
  • moths 2sep Fr.jpg
    moths 2sep Fr.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 98
A bumper catch last night by recent standards - possibly c250 moths, though I didn't count.
September thorn
dusky thorn
flounced rustic
were all new for year.
I also had a 'micro' that I'm wondering if it is a pinion-streaked snout. It was about 1cm long (probably making an idiot of myself :-C ) No, I'm not! My CR has seen the photo and accepted it.
Even some geometers:
common carpet
sharp-angled carpet
green carpet
common marbled carpet
willow beauty
Plus many of the usual suspects.
Ken

Attachments

• snout.jpg
    snout.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 102
  • flounced rustic.jpg
    flounced rustic.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Nothing bumper about my catch last night - don't think I've had one of those all year. Frosted Orange and Lunar Underwing made first appearances.

I bet I would have had a bumper catch last night (for me) if my moth trap was working! ;)
I left the outside light on instead and also left a window open. Very mild night and quite a few moths settled including
light emerald (new for the year)
galium carpet (2) - I'm pretty sure they are galium.
brimstone moth
square spot rustic (3)
double striped pug
emmelina monodactyla
(a rather worn) marbled green
and a new one for me which I think must be L-album Wainscot.

Nerine

Attachments

• light emerald.jpg
    light emerald.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 94
  • galium carpet.jpg
    galium carpet.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 94
  • to the light 6 sep.jpg
    to the light 6 sep.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 98
Bad luck on the trap, Nerine, but you don't seem to be suffering too badly. Mine is also broken. The funnel broke when I tried to shake it dry - metal fatigue, I reckon. My wife kindly mended it with superglue but it later broke again when she tested it. Does anyone know where to go for a funnel with a 20cm diameter! the only one I found on the WWW cost about £15, which seems excessive.
Ken

I hope you get yours fixed soon, Ken. When I connected my small car battery to the connectors (whatever they are called) they fizzed and whoosh - steam all over the place. I'll wait for my husband to sort it out. Meanwhile I got another new moth last night by just leaving the window open and a light on. I think it must be a Cyprus pug, pic below.
Amongst the crane flies were lots of square spot rustics, a fine lime-speck pug, small dusty wave, 3 willow beauties and a few more. So I'm not complaining! The difficult thing is trying to find them to release. They like to lurk behind things in dark corners.

Best angle I could get - it wouldn't leave the side of the glass and I didn't want to lose it. Must be a cypress pug?

Nerine

Attachments

• 7 Sep to the light 004.jpg
    7 Sep to the light 004.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 97
Does anyone know where to go for a funnel with a 20cm diameter! the only one I found on the WWW cost about £15, which seems excessive.
Ken[/QUOTE]

Hi Ken, Paul Batty sells plastic funnels with a c21cm diameter, can`t remember exact price but certainly not £15. His web site is pwbelg.clara.net, lots of good stuff for the DIY trap builder & reasonably priced too,

Thanks, Rob, I'll check it out. The trouble is that if it's too big, I'll have to recut the hole in the lid - which is probably beyond me!
Ken

A poor catch last night (partly, I suspect because my neighbour had his street lights on -- he has literally got street lights in his garden!).
Apart from all the large yellow underwings, Set. Hebrew characters, square-spot rustics, there was:
willow beauty
green carpet
flame shoulder
feathered gothic
rosy rustic
oak lutestring
pale eggar
burnished brass (one of my favourites!)
lunar underwing (new for year - unless anyone can turn it into a beaded chestnut, which I've never seen ;) )
Not a single micro and only one wasp.
Ken

Attachments

• burnished brass ex3505 (600).JPG
    burnished brass ex3505 (600).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 107
  • lunar underwing ex3501 (450).JPG
    lunar underwing ex3501 (450).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back