• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie Pen Strikes Again! (2 Viewers)

Its been a while since a full blown piece appeared, worth the wait, this is great Tim. The bird preening its rump makes it for me, that vegetation is masterful. A prime piece of Wooton magic....

Its been a while since a full blown piece appeared, worth the wait, this is great Tim.

An ambitious but subtle and understated piece Tim. It really is a full painting as Alan says. There's also a surprising amount of movement in the piece as you follow the birds around the canvas. And yet it's still a quiet, peaceful painting.

Just joined + found this forum, brilliant!! It will take me a while to look at them all, but I've made a start on the shorter threads.

Wow, that oil of the oystercatchers is truly brilliant!!
I really love the sharpies + wash pieces, the Waxwings a brilliant love the colours, as are the eiders, in fact they are all brilliant!! Love the spontanaity of the medium.
Really loving it here!! Looking forward to seeing lots more of what you are all up too.

Just joined + found this forum, brilliant!! It will take me a while to look at them all, but I've made a start on the shorter threads.

Wow, that oil of the oystercatchers is truly brilliant!!
I really love the sharpies + wash pieces, the Waxwings a brilliant love the colours, as are the eiders, in fact they are all brilliant!! Love the spontanaity of the medium.
Really loving it here!! Looking forward to seeing lots more of what you are all up too.
Thank you - and welcome to BirdForum!

Tim,

Been away for too long...

I think you might know by now that you are pretty special. And should drink more to celebrate that fact. Been keeping away from Birdart to teach myself how not to be influenced. Therefore, I have not followed anything at all. And that did me good, because I did my first "piece" in many months.

But seeing these OCs makes my jaw unhinge...

You are the master of light, birds, daring composition, and joy in nature. Long may it be so! ;)

Hi Tim!

Love the result with the Oystercatchers - of course I expected no less!

Also wanted to let you know that I'm doing my bit to support the Wootton clan - my second copy of your book just arrived from Amazon (it finally was available in the states). I wanted a working copy to wear out - which I fully intend to do - so as not to wear out the one you autographed. That one will get a special place on the bookshelf! :t:

Your work is fantastic. really inspirational .
Mind me asking how you get about drawing your subjects? do you work from field sketches or use photos as reference?

I've always wanted to be able to make paintings/finished pieces from field sketches, so they have more life and movement. Just starting to field sketch now so I can get better and be able to do this !

Hi naturelover,

Tim has - literally - written THE contemporary book on the subject. Go to his last post and click on the link at the end for his Drawing and Painting Birds book. It is absolutely wonderful and destined to be a classic. Not only are Tim's works in there, but numerous pieces from other masters of bird art. Also, it is well worth finding his main thread in this forum - I forget the name of it now, but should be obvious in reviewing the threads - and going through the whole thing over a period of time. Tim is very open (and modest) about his processes, techniques and media used.

Last edited:
I am now the happy owner of the lovely 'Pintails' (see post 31). This fresh and original work is just so inspiring and it is even better in reality. Thanks Tim.

Last edited:
A preparatory/exploratory piece in readiness for an acrylic reinterpretation. From drawings made earlier when a number of whimbrel spent some time in the company of the local curlews in the field. Here is one bemused by its larger cousins.

Attachments

• DSCN5544 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN5544 - Copy.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back