• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod Head for Camera & Scope (1 Viewer)

btooze

I currently have two tripods.
One with an Opticron pan head that I use with an Opticron IS60ED scope.
The other with a ball head that I use with a Lumix G3 micro 4/3 camera.

I am looking for a light weight tripod head that will work well with both scope and camera.

The forums have a section for camera tripod heads & scope tripod heads but I cannot find a head that will meet both requirements.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

Brian

Given you have not gotten any responses in nearly two weeks, its probably obvious there is no easy answer.

A scope generally needs a more robust head to support not only weight but long length. The issue of balance comes into play - and that suggests a large ball on a ball head, a geared head, or a pan tilt head. A gimbal head works very nicely. None of these are cheap or light.

For a small camera like your Lumix, you need very little in the way of support. Anything useful for the scope will be overkill for the small camera. There are some very nice small tripod heads like the Markins G3, Markins Q10, and Really Right Stuff BH-40. But I don't think these heads are very good for a scope. They will hold the scope, but you will find balance and precise position is a challenge.

I think you are better off using your tripod head for your scope and compromising on the camera support than the other way. You might consider quick release plates and a lever clamp to make the changeover easier.

If money is not an issue, the Markins BV-10 & Q10i Combo is probably a good solution in that it provides a gimbal type option for your ballhead. But its not cheap.

Last edited:
I only use one tripod but swap heads depending on use. I have an old but still available Manfrotto 190 use a Manfrotto pan and tilt with scope and a Benbo ball and socket for photography mft.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back