• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Tripod and Head advice needed (1 Viewer)

kneonlight

Ok I literally know nothing about tripods so need some advice.

At the moment I am using one I picked up for a tenner a couple of years ago. It does the job (to an extent!) but is rather heavy! I am off on a tour of Iceland soon and am looking to get an suitable (and much lighter!) tripod to take with me. I also would want to use it for all my photography (ie not just for my trip). I am using a 7D with 400mm lens so it would need to be able to support that. Also I am 6ft so don't want one too small.

I have looked on ebay at Carbon Fibre tripods and the prices vary so much that I've got confused. I don't want to spend a lot of money and find it is not suitable. Am happy to go second hand but don't really know what to look for.
My budget is around £150 but can go to more if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Most users' ideal tripod will be very stable, light-weight and cheap. The bad news is that you can have any two out of the three.

150UKP is not a high budget for a head and tripod combo. It might be preferable if you listed the weight of your camera and lens combo (depending on what kind of 400 it is the weight can vary a lot).

Carbon fibre tripods are lighter for a given rigidity but more expensive. In general, the wider diameter of the legs the more stable (so a three section tripod will be more stable than a four section one, but a four section one will be handier for travel), and the higher you have to elevate any centre column the more you'll pay a penalty as far as stability goes, so don't pick a tripod where you've got to move the centre column all the way out.

Ballheads are much lighter in weight than video heads, so you should look for one of those.

But in general, your criteria aren't sufficient for somebody to recommend `the right' one for you. Also, everybody has a different compromise point on the weight/rigidity/price range (what can you live with, what can't you?), so it's ultimately a personal decision. You're certainly better off going used, but what's available varies quite a bit.

Andrea

I too have been looking for a good tripod for quite a while and over the years I have had very stable (but heavy) and very light (but flimsy) tripods.
After checking this forum and the internet for a good all rounder (within my budget) I have just purchased a Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod and I am very pleased.
Although it is aluminium (I could not afford carbon fibre) it is very stable and weighs 1.8KG. I purchased from Jessops who have a great offer on this at the moment.
For heads I went to ebay and purchased a small ball head for my camera and a fluid video head for my scope (both Chinese). I can always change the heads should I need to in the future.

Most users' ideal tripod will be very stable, light-weight and cheap. The bad news is that you can have any two out of the three.

150UKP is not a high budget for a head and tripod combo. It might be preferable if you listed the weight of your camera and lens combo (depending on what kind of 400 it is the weight can vary a lot).

Carbon fibre tripods are lighter for a given rigidity but more expensive. In general, the wider diameter of the legs the more stable (so a three section tripod will be more stable than a four section one, but a four section one will be handier for travel), and the higher you have to elevate any centre column the more you'll pay a penalty as far as stability goes, so don't pick a tripod where you've got to move the centre column all the way out.

Ballheads are much lighter in weight than video heads, so you should look for one of those.

But in general, your criteria aren't sufficient for somebody to recommend `the right' one for you. Also, everybody has a different compromise point on the weight/rigidity/price range (what can you live with, what can't you?), so it's ultimately a personal decision. You're certainly better off going used, but what's available varies quite a bit.

Andrea

I use the 400mm f5.6 prime

Just my 2p!
If you budget is limited then I would suggest you wait and save a bit more before you buy. The reason for this is that many people (including me!) started with a fairly cheap tripod and then upgraded and then upgraded again - you get the picture! It would be nice to just say buy a Gitzo model xxxx or an RRS TV xxxx but they are really expensive - though worth it in my opinion.
However there are some very good offerings from the likes of Feisol/Benro/Sirui etc. A friend of mine has this Feisol tripod:
http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/24-ct-3342-tournament.html
Frankly, for the money, it is a very nice piece of kit. It is pretty rigid, very light and not silly money. I have used it with a lightweight Gimbal head, Canon 1D4, Canon 300 F2.8 L IS + 2 x extender. That is close to 5 kilos load with a focal length of 600mm + 1.3 crop and it was quite good - note I am comparing it to my Gitzo tripods.
If you fit a Lensmaster RH1 gimbal head then it should be fine for your height but, unfortunately, not your budget!

OK - So far I am leaning toward the Feisol tripod.
Due to some shrewed betting on the world cup I now have a larger budget!
I am now looking at £250 for the tripod alone (without head).
Any suggestions better than the feisol or is that my best bet for the money?

Thanks

I have had the the Feisol 3372 for several years now and it is a superb pod - for your lens the 3342 would do fine. The Lensmaster Gimbal RH2 or RH1 both work fine with the 400/5.6.

I have had the the Feisol 3372 for several years now and it is a superb pod - for your lens the 3342 would do fine. The Lensmaster Gimbal RH2 or RH1 both work fine with the 400/5.6.
Thanks very much Roy. That's good to know.
There seem to be 2 versions - Rapid and Non-Rapid.
Do you know the difference between the 2?

Thanks

On tripods with a twist lock action (as opposed to a clamp) there are two options:

Either the user has to hold the leg to ensure that it does not rotate while twisting the lock, or there is an anti-rotation mechanism, which means that a one-handed action is sufficient for unlocking/locking the legs. Feisol's anti-rotation mechanism is called Rapid.

I wouldn't want to be without that.

Andrea

Thanks very much Roy. That's good to know.
There seem to be 2 versions - Rapid and Non-Rapid.
Do you know the difference between the 2?

Thanks
As explained above Tony, I have a 3372 non rapid (there was not a rapid when I bought) and have no problems with the legs - I see the Rapid is an extra £25, only you can say if it was worth it to you!.
If I were buying new I would probably go foe a rapid although its no big deal either way for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back