• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

For someone who wants an allround birding binocular with great optics and handling, that will last forever and that does not cost as much as the current top-range, the Trino 8x32 is still one of the best options out there.

A different questions is what would be the right price for a used Trino. Here, unfortunately I agree to this:

Unfortunately, because I recently sold my Trino for only 600 €, which seems about the going rate in Europe. 700-800 € may be right, if the seller is not private but a reputated dealer who checked the bins before.

So rather than looking for more expensive new Zeiss and Nikons, or cheaper Zens that may fall apart in a couple of years, a good alternative could be to look for another Trino with a better price.

If you decide that the BN is the one for you (as I have) then the price doesn't matter, as it will be the last pair you'll buy! Paid £700 for a mint pair two weeks ago...money well spent. I'll get at least £800 for the Ultravids I'm selling :t:

www.duffbirder.blogspot.com

Last edited:
The point has been made and keeps getting overlooked about there being a distinction between overall package (optics, ergonomics, build quality, weight and size) versus pure optics. Dennis is one who believes optics (no matter how small an improvement) trump all the other qualities, while others appreciate the whole package which includes optics as a major factor, but not the only factor. When I first joined this forum as an education in helping me pick my first alpha bin purchase I read through years and years of BF archives. I don't mean to slam Dennis as he is quite passionate about this stuff, but I have noticed that over the years he tends to be 100% into whatever bin is his favorite of the day. Each time it is the best, there is no need to even consider an other.

I also like the Zen Rays, but I would take an 8x32BN over the Zen Ray as an overall package, but even better for me is the 8x32 SE.

John

Hi again everyone, wow I didn't think my OP would spark so much debate! Thanks so much for your comments and thoughts, its appreciated. Have to be honest I'm currently leaning towards Swarovski although I haven't decided on whether to go SLC 8x30 or EL 8x32.

The point has been made and keeps getting overlooked about there being a distinction between overall package (optics, ergonomics, build quality, weight and size) versus pure optics.

It seems no matter how many times that point is made, the topic gets directed to the ultimate view point of view. **sigh**

I'll go a step further and reiterate what i've said several times before to say that once a certain optics level is attained, handling and ergos and je ne sais quoi count for more than absolute visual performance.

As long as these are held in our hands, looking at real moving subjects, I believe this is true. As in birding.

Tripods and other rests, stationary targets, and A-B testing to determine the most subtle differences, changes the equation.

Last edited:
The reply below nails it for me. BTDT. Others are SLIGHTLY better but I also have had other pairs of 8x32 Trinovids that weren't as sharp as the set I have now. Called sample variation. My current Chinese ED is a 8x42 Promaster and it is bright and sharp but the overall package offered by the 8x32 Trinovid is unbeatable for me.......
-----------------------------------------

Let me explain my view for the last time. I have tried all of the so called alpha models and they are obviously a (slight) improvement optically (as in brightness/sharpness etc) or no-one would buy them!!! However, the lifelike view I am referring to with the BN's, so eloquently explained by Keith, also includes the X-factors of 3D image, realistic, natural colour and superb contrast/resolution etc that culminates in a unique all-round unit. My opinion has NOTHING to do with nostalga as I demand the best view I can get...and I have found it. The view is easy. If you have found yours brilliant...

If you decide that the BN is the one for you (as I have) then the price doesn't matter, as it will be the last pair you'll buy! Paid £700 for a mint pair two weeks ago...money well spent. I'll get at least £800 for the Ultravids I'm selling :t:

www.duffbirder.blogspot.com

£700 for a BN! Wow. I sold my mint 8x32 BN's for $600.00 a while back! After I bought the Zeiss FL's.

Last edited:
The point has been made and keeps getting overlooked about there being a distinction between overall package (optics, ergonomics, build quality, weight and size) versus pure optics. Dennis is one who believes optics (no matter how small an improvement) trump all the other qualities, while others appreciate the whole package which includes optics as a major factor, but not the only factor. When I first joined this forum as an education in helping me pick my first alpha bin purchase I read through years and years of BF archives. I don't mean to slam Dennis as he is quite passionate about this stuff, but I have noticed that over the years he tends to be 100% into whatever bin is his favorite of the day. Each time it is the best, there is no need to even consider an other.

I also like the Zen Rays, but I would take an 8x32BN over the Zen Ray as an overall package, but even better for me is the 8x32 SE.

John

I have evolved. Each new binocular being slightly better IMO than the last. My favorites right now are the Zeiss 8x32 FL's and the Nikon EII's 8x30 or 10x35. The Zeiss 8x32 FL to me is the best overall package for me for an all around binocular.

Hi again everyone, wow I didn't think my OP would spark so much debate! Thanks so much for your comments and thoughts, its appreciated. Have to be honest I'm currently leaning towards Swarovski although I haven't decided on whether to go SLC 8x30 or EL 8x32.

Oh, no not a Swarovski 8x32 EL. Too much CA! Try them first. You can almost buy a Zeiss for the same price and a Zeiss is twice as nice.

Last edited:
Oh, no not a Swarovski 8x32 EL. Too much CA! Try them first. You can almost buy a Zeiss for the same price and a Zeiss is twice as nice.

Dennis:

I am thinking your wild recommendations are now getting out of hand.
This is a Leica thread, and you are saying the Zeiss is twice as nice as
the Swaro. Tell me, twice as nice as what?

And tell us, as the wind changes, what will your favorite be next month?

For most watching here, with the top 10 optics, it is largely personal
opinion, with all of them getting great reviews. No clear winners here.
In fact, I am thinking your bothersome boasting makes many users want
to pick something else. ;)

Jerry

Dennis:

I am thinking your wild recommendations are now getting out of hand.
This is a Leica thread, and you are saying the Zeiss is twice as nice as
the Swaro. Tell me, twice as nice as what?

And tell us, as the wind changes, what will your favorite be next month?

For most watching here, with the top 10 optics, it is largely personal
opinion, with all of them getting great reviews. No clear winners here.
In fact, I am thinking your bothersome boasting makes many users want
to pick something else. ;)

Jerry

Sorry! That's just my opinion. I had a Swarovski 8x32 EL and I hated it. You can pick whatever you want. That twice as nice was kind of a joke. I guess you didn't get it. I am not boasting just expressing my opinion. Chill out brother were just talking about what kind of binoculars we like. Were not trying to save the world.

I also know that always chasing the next best thing is not a route to happiness, and there's evidence of that on this thread - I'm glad I'm not as obsessively driven by evident dissatisfaction as some of the contributors here.

Here's a book I read this summer that might be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice:_Why_More_Is_Less

Note especially the difference between "satisficers" (those who can live without the latest and greatest) and "maximizers" (who can't stop chasing after perfection). Guess who's happier, less anxious, more productive?

I'm a maximizer at heart, but I'm safely getting off that wheel. I've settled with an 8x32 FL and an 8x32 SE. I also have a Zen 8x43 ED2 and a couple compacts. I recently looked into the 8.5 Swarovision and guess what? I didn't need it. If I didn't have the Zen full-size, well then maybe. As it is, I'm satisficing with the Zens.

And so, instead of looking THROUGH binoculars, I'm looking AT the birds, which is what I did for ten years before I chanced upon birdforum. Ah, were a curious lot, us binoholics.

I think binocular technology is probably topping out anyway. Another product generation or two and it's over. What would be left to improve? Not much "new and improved" in toaster technology lately. Why should bins be different?

My two cents anyway.

"I also like the Zen Rays, but I would take an 8x32BN over the Zen Ray as an overall package."

I agree. When I'm birding I want to know that I can trust my binoculars in any conditions. The trinovids are built like tanks because they are designed to take the abuse of birding in the field. They are overbuilt and, frankly, unnecessary for sunday morning birding. But when you're trying to navigate through a thicket it's nice to know they don't have to be babied.

And so, instead of looking THROUGH binoculars, I'm looking AT the birds, which is what I did for ten years before I chanced upon birdforum.
Exactly - which is precisely why my point about people reacting to the view through my Leicas as being just like their own eyes but bigger is so relevant.

Bins should be "invisible" to the birding experience, because it's not about the bins, and if I'm not even consciously thinking about the optical characteristics of the bins I'm looking through, they're doing their job.

That's what I want from bins, and that's what I get from my Leicas. It's the "natural view" that has been mentioned numerous times in the thread.

Of course the same can be said about other bins, but that just brings them up to the level of the Leicas - it doesn't make them "better". And the fact that other bins might be great too surely doesn't make the Leicas "second tier"...

I think binocular technology is probably topping out anyway. Another product generation or two and it's over. What would be left to improve? Not much "new and improved" in toaster technology lately. Why should bins be different?

Well, I think there will be slight improvements for quite a few years to come, especially in light transmission and contrast. Nothing spectacular, but still enough to be visible in a direct comparison.

However, the greatest potential for improvement surely lies in tighter quality control. That's were most manufacturers will have to do more in the future. It's simply not acceptable that there are still quite regularly fairly obvious differences between the two barrels, even in so-called alphas.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back