• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Putting The Art Back Into Birding... (3 Viewers)

phil baber

Clipped Wing
Europe
It used to be commonplace to see the artwork of birders everywhere, from annual reports to bird magazines. Now it seems that, primarily, the emphasis is on the representation of birds through photographs. But, is it the case that now there are too many photographs, and not enough artwork from birders?

I recently wondered if a friend who runs a local website would like to use my artwork for his site, with reference to a Hen Harrier seen on the "patch." The offer was readily accepted and the artwork posted. It looked quite interesting and fresh nestling there amongst the plethora of photos. If not unusual in this day and age! (Scroll down to Oct 13 entry.)

http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/page4.html

I was then asked by another friend if he could use it for his site which covered the same area. Gladly I emailed him the piece.

http://www.thebirdsofsouthgloucestershire.co.uk/

Then, having done a piece on Lapland Buntings, seen in another nearby area, I approached the webmaster of the area's local website,and asked him if he'd like the piece to post up. The answer? Why...yes!

http://www.clevedon-portisheadbirds.com/latestnews1a.htm

Could it be that general birding needs more of this stuff? Are people really satiated with endless photographs?:eek!:

Postulating this on my thread on the Art Forum I got some interesting responses.

Nick Derry said,

"Maybe it's time that we all infiltrated these sightings sites with more artwork and bring artwork back to the fore."

And Russ B said,

"I echo what Nick says and fully support your call for more bird art! I often yearn to bump into artistically-inclined birders when in the field, but the more I yearn, the more cameras I see!...
...all bird reports should have examples of this kind of work.
I'm gonna treat myself to BB Interactive for xmas so I can pore over the illustrations and field sketches of rarities at leisure. Some of the 80's and early 90's issues I posess have truly mouth-watering art in them. I wish I could travel back in time..."

Is artwork in general birding a thing of the past? Or can we turn the tide and claim back the territory we once held? Has the photograph really replaced the amateur accounting? The sketches with notes and annotations beloved of so many? The raw experience of birders distilled to essence by the pencil, pen and brush of a their love for their subject?

This thread therefore is a rallying call to all.
It is also a thread for everyone who is contributing to amateur ornithology in this way.
Please post up links to any of your contributions featured on sites, or post your artwork published in reports and other birding journals.

Is art in general birding moribund?

Or is it already dead?:cat:

Has the day come when the only artwork we will see by birders, is by a chosen few who illustrate the field guides? :-C

Or maybe we have come to believe that it is no longer possible to have anything other than photos to illustrate anything to do with birding? ;)

I now turn this thread over to you. Would love to hear your comments. See what you have been up to in the "artwork contribution zone", and would love even more to know that there is a lot of amateur art out there in birding land.

And if there isn't?

Why not let us all do something to put that right!:t::cat:

Oh Phil,
I think in Germany it is dead.

I have never published something because I have painted till present only for myself.
What can one do which is changed something?

I love your idea to do something for change it.

Let`s fight! :t:

great Nick

I wait for registration here

http://www.birdnet-cms.de/cms/front_content.php

Last edited:
I really should have redone the beak before putting it online again - it looks like the poor bird's trying to swallow a toenail that's stuck on its face.

Excellent!

The rebellion has begun!
Or let's call it a "Velvet Revolution". For who can this possibly hurt?
Only joy can be brought into the World with these actions!

In Germany and France the tide has begun to turn!

PS Nick, you rebel!

How brilliant....:t:

Even coming from a camera loving freak like me it was really superb to see Nicks sketch on surfbirds gallery....[i hope it stays on there...and i hope other talented folk will post on there too]...!

ps...i know i ain't young...but this is all very 'cool'....:smoke:

By the way I don't advocate you break any website's rules or codes of conduct.
But do what I did, and infiltrate by peaceful means:loveme:, by asking if the website would like to use your work.
We don't want anyone getting into trouble now do we?;)

After all, introducing artwork back into mainstream birding is a good thing isn't it? B :)

I think we'd be hard-pushed to find a website whose rules were being broken, we're posting photos (of a sketch) of a bird to which we hold the copyright.

I'm pretty sure that any website would rather have my sketches than my abysmal photos (all of which have already disappeared from surfbirds when they had a spring clean!)

I think we'd be hard-pushed to find a website whose rules were being broken, we're posting photos (of a sketch) of a bird to which we hold the copyright.

I'm pretty sure that any website would rather have my sketches than my abysmal photos (all of which have already disappeared from surfbirds when they had a spring clean!)

Fair point Tovarishch!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tovarich

Viva la Revolución!

From Gaby....

:clap:"done...."

http://www.birdnet-cms.de/galerie/index.php

Komrade Gaby! :clap:

Super-Fantastische! :t: B :)

Already we are introducing our Art into the endless Sea of Photos.

Let's see how it develops.

(Pardon the pun...;))

PS Any amateur, or professional bird artist is very welcome to join in.
The more positive the "re-introduction" of our product, the better. Provide links, or scans, and let's take back a niche for bird art and personal recording. Let us show the extent of our flowering! And then WIDEN it, until it becomes a GORGE!
Let us show the extent of our flowering! Field by field....

This is NOT my thread. It belongs to ALL OF YOU! :t:

PPS Maybe this will also encourage our friends, who are unsure about posting their sketches to a wider audience also?
If you are unsure about your work, post it here first, and there are many kind people here who will give great and compassionate advice. We want the "grass-roots note takers and sketchers" to live and breathe again!

There is a place for photography, but there should always be a place for free-expression, through whatever creative means a Human may channel its records of bird experience.

Photography has become a straight-jacket that is strangling free-expression in birding. Choice of expression is what I advocate. Let the fun begin in earnest....B :)

Nice work Matteo - the gruccioni (bee eaters) are wonderfully free and elegant. Gruccioni - I like that word!

phil Photography has become a straight-jacket that is strangling free-expression in birding. Choice of expression is what I advocate. Let the fun begin in earnest....B (:[/QUOTE said:
hoorah

30 odd bluetails in the UK this autumn and not single exciting image that I've noticed-

whether you will get us fully back to the old days I don't know- exultant but weary birder returning from the road, puts cardboard hitching sign by the front door, flared jeans over the gas fire to dry, reaches for the scraperboard....

Nice work Matteo - the gruccioni (bee eaters) are wonderfully free and elegant. Gruccioni - I like that word!

Yes, wonderfully free and elegant. Nice to see this work.

I really haven't paid any attention to bird photo galleries stateside though I do sometimes post to 10,000 birds, which has a stateside component, and include the link to my blog, where I make a point of almost never using photos.

I always do respond to environmental organization emails that advertise their photo contests asking why they don't have drawing or painting contests. Maybe next time I'll just submit some drawings or painting and just see what happens.

And of course I agree with all the comments on the deluge of photos and various reactions to them. Often I'll see some that really strike me. But more often it's like having a delectable meal placed in front of me by someone who doesn't know that I've been eating for the last 6 hours straight and almost gag at the sight of more food. There's just a huge, glut of photos, some good, some mediocre but just far too many to even see any more.

Yes, wonderfully free and elegant. Nice to see this work.

And of course I agree with all the comments on the deluge of photos and various reactions to them. Often I'll see some that really strike me. But more often it's like having a delectable meal placed in front of me by someone who doesn't know that I've been eating for the last 6 hours straight and almost gag at the sight of more food. There's just a huge, glut of photos, some good, some mediocre but just far too many to even see any more.

Very well put Ken! :cat:

Don't get me wrong tho! I've nothing against photos, or photographers. It is all to do with your expert summation above!

Ed, been trying to find some of these Bluetails recorded artistically. No success.
But what a great subject!:eek!:

Nice work Matteo. I guess it doesn't have to be revolutionary. Just developing an awareness that there is room for what we do in amongst the photos. It is an important part of birding that goes back 100s of years!

It is about breathing life back into the "forgotten art." And I don't believe it's like trying to resurrect a bygone age Ed. Just maintaining and refiring the continuum of ornithological recording through art.

It is such a precious thing to lose.

On the plus side Birdwatch magazine have included Ashley Saunders' sketches of a Swainson's Thrush he saw on Fair Isle this Autumn. Page 53 of the November issue. Fair play to them. They still do include such artworks and are to be applauded! (No scan sorry! Copyright reasons...)
I just wish they would include more artwork from amateurs like they used to.

Would be nice if everyone could post any such examples they find, or links to them, to show that the beast is still breathing...

Anyhoo, it's time for a B :) now. Enjoy the weekend wherever you are! ;)

Happy birding!

It's on! Now, how long before I get an email saying the gallery is just for photos?!

Dunno but I've just emailed it to Tim and asked him to forward it back to you - that should confuse him (and you!)

Re: bird reports - Editor of the County BR keeps asking me do drawings coz he's getting bored with photos but so far prevaricated - might post some up if I go for it - trouble is he wants them all in pen/ink and beautifully crafted with cross hatching (his words!) - did a Lapland but looked more like a Reed in B&W, so convinced him Avocets and Ring Ouzel's may work better! ;)

Last edited:
Good for you Deborah! ;) Some of us here contributed pieces to the Cambridge BR. In response to a request from the recorder. I've never been to Cambridgeshire. Doesn't stop me drawing for them though! ;) Why not ask your friend to post a 'Request For Illustrations!' thread up here. I'm sure he'd get a few takers. I can get a B&W Lap to him in no time! :) Oh! And traditional rates of payment? "I'm afraid no money is involved, but you will receive a copy of our wonderful Annual Report. With your delightful artwork in it!" Give it a go. And good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back