• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Legends, bargain or too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

hughj

There are some legends being advertised for £105, brand new UK stock.
Am I missing something obvious or is this a bargain?
The only thing that I can see is the model number is 130142, Bushnell's site says it's 191042, is the difference maybe UK to American?
I'm thinking of buying two pairs if all seems genuine, his and hers.
What should I be wary of?

There were original Bushnell Legends, both porros and roofs, and now the current Legend Ultras which have ED glass objectives and a notably wider field of view (110 meters versus 140 meters). The older roof prism Legend was certainly a respectable binocular for its time with very good stray light control. They were at the same optical performance level as the original Nikon Monarchs with phase coating. I have seen the older Legends priced around $150 US at the few places that still have some in stock. Their original price was around $300 US.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, below is the description from his advert, it does seem they are the older model but it still seems a pretty good spec.
I guess they're probably worth the money.
I might buy one pair just to check them out, they will probably end up as "hers" she doesn't know I'm buying her a pair anyway, and I'll keep looking for a pair for myself.

Description
New body. Same wicked power plant. Still the rugged standard for all-weather brightness and clarity, Legend™ roof prism binoculars are now slimmer and 20% lighter tanks to a new magnesium chassis. With their Rainguard® lens coating, waterproof design and rubber armor, they’re ready for anything you are. Fully multi-coated optics and high-quality Bak-4 prisms with PC-3® phase coating gather maximum light and produce brilliant color fidelity. Other design enhancements include improved twist-up eyecups. No matter the conditions, with Legend binoculars, the outlook is clear.

Features: PC-3® phase-coated Bak-4 roof prisms * Fully multi-coated optics for maximum light transmission and optimum brightness* Heavy-duty * 100% waterproof / fogproof construction * Rainguard® water-repellent lens coating * Long eye relief * Twist eyecups allow quick adjustments for optimum eye relief * Large center-focus knob for precise focusing - even wearing gloves * Trim, ergonomic shape for easy, all-day use * Textured, non-glare, non-slip rubber armorabsorbs shock * Knurled diopter adjustment for precise and reliable adjustment * New lightweight magnesium chasis makes these binoculars slimmer and 20% lighter.

Specs
Model 130142, Magnification X Obj. Lens 10 x 42, Size Class Standard,
Focus System Center
PRISM SYSTEM Roof
PC-3® PHASE COATING Yes
PRISM GLASS BK-4
LENS COATING Fully Multi
RAINGUARD Yes
FIELD-OF-VIEW FT@ 1000YDS/M@ 1000M 315/105
EYE RELIEF 15mm
CLOSE FOCUS (FT/M) 6/1.8
EXIT PUPIL (MM) 4.2
EYECUPS Twist-Up
WEIGHT (0Z/G) 24.9/706
WATER/FOG PROOF Yes
ADAPT TO TRIPOD Yes

Thanks for that, very helpful.
I don't think I'll get better for the price.
I've wondered whether the "Visionary Freebird" may be the continuation of the production of that model that is no longer distributed by Bushnell. If so that would be a good sign, I think. Maybe the fundamental design is as rugged as the feel. Can't recall too many complaints about it. Don't forget the dioptre adjustment ring needs to be lifted before turning it.

Last edited:
Yes these sound like the original Legends. My field of view specs above were in relation to the 8x42 and not the 10x42 so my apologies if that was misleading.

Goudvink's link above is the model I was referencing.

I actually have this pair but seldom use them...not necessarily for the reasons you may think. Last year when I went through my ebay "buying used" phase I picked up a pair. The item description sounded good and the pics looked fine. Plus, at the time, I had some really good experiences with buying binoculars that were in better condition than I had expected. That wasn't the case with the Legends I purchased. Whoever used them originally must have used sand paper to clean the lenses because the multicoating was almost entirely scratched off the oculars. Everything else was fine though. The result is a notable lack of contrast to the image but in every other way they are still as good as many of the binoculars currently out there.

I've wondered whether the "Visionary Freebird" may be the continuation of the production of that model that is no longer distributed by Bushnell. If so that would be a good sign, I think. Maybe the fundamental design is as rugged as the feel. Can't recall too many complaints about it. Don't forget the dioptre adjustment ring needs to be lifted before turning it.

BTW - the dioptre ring is the weak link on the bin. Mine broke after a few weeks............it's a thin band of cheap plastic and gets brittle in cold weather.

Not sure at the moment but I don't believe so. The newer model was a pop-up twist and push-down affair if I remember correctly. The older style was just a twist, with tension. Will check when I get home.

Pretty sure both versions (a very late original Legend and Legend Ultra HD) I had were lift and twist with lockable dioptre settings. Both made in China.

I only know of complaints about use of thin or questionable quality plastic around the dioptre setting with the later HD model (possibly corrected by now).

Edit : I only mentioned it because, unlike some other models, there is no writing or graphic on the Bushnell binoculars to indicate the ring should be lifted and no guarantee the instruction manual will be adequate. Also on a new binocular sometimes actions are a bit stiff; just something to be wary about.

Last edited:
I did check on the original Legend 8x42 that I have in my possession. It is a simple tension style. There is no locking mechanism to it. The ring itself does seem to be of thin, plastic construction...in many ways similar to the diopter ring on the newer model.

I did check on the original Legend 8x42 that I have in my possession. It is a simple tension style. There is no locking mechanism to it.
Thanks for getting back Frank. Well that's a bit of a pain because I certainly recall having trouble with the dioptre on my 8x42 and referring to the post linked to in post #13 before I got it working. Hopefully the OP won't have an issue 'cos I'd hate to be the one suggesting "giving it more welly" |8.|. Should point out it looks as though wanderer55's may have had been bought used which may explain some of the issues.

The ring itself does seem to be of thin, plastic construction...in many ways similar to the diopter ring on the newer model.
But have you heard of any issues with the dioptre ring on the original Legend? I bought an HD version as a demo model which when it arrived looked more like a brand new one with all accessories placed in an old box. In the box I found a piece of the plastic dioptre ring which suggested to me the box had been used for a return. As well as being thin the plastic was of a very brittle type; I couldn't imagine it being at all impact resistant.

They arrived yesterday, swmbo is well impressed and so am I.
With postage they worked out at £116, I doubt I could buy a better new pair for the money.
I can't see the diopter ring being a problem, it has just the right resistance to stop it moving accidently, and once it's set up for the user it's not like it will get a lot of use.
I think the front lense caps may prove a problem, the retaining ring seems a bit loose.
Nothing a dab of black polymer sealant won't cure.

Thanks for getting back hughj. Sorry if I caused unnecessary concern.
Hope you and swmbo don't find yourself fighting over the one binocular now ;)

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x36 did not have a quality build

FYI: Just posted by review of the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x36 in the Equipment Reviews.

They are now on their way back to Eagle Optics to be exchanged for a set of Vortex Viper HD 8x32s.

I decided not to cheap-out anymore for a pair of binoculars and these Bushnell's really did prove too good to be true.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back