• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head recommendations (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Looking for head recommendations. It is to be paired with a feisol ct-3372 tripod and will be used for birding and landscapes. I was thinking of going for a ballhead as a landscape purpose head would not be quick enough for birds. Feisol seem to have a good ballhead has anybody any experience of this head.

Regards Gerard.

I've never heard of Feisol so really can't help you with that. But I've tried a great many tripods and heads over the years and the one that satisfies me most is the one I'm using now - a solid Manfrotto tripod with the 322RC2 Joystick head. The head has a trigger grip which is very fast to use, and supports a heavy 80mm scope easily.

Saw a review of several ballheads and the Feisol one got good marks, another one from a company called Sunwayfoto also did very well.

From personal experience I can only comment on Markins and their cheaper Photoclam clones. Both work very well, no creep at all when locked up and appear to be well made.

Kirk and Arca also make very well respected ballheads and so do RRS, but the latter at a premium price.

Arca Swiss is the standard for quick release fittings and all of the above accept their camera and lens plates. I prefer the screw up type of clamp as opposed to the lever design, but that's down to personal preference, just seems to be a more positive method of securing the q/r plate

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back