• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars from leica (1 Viewer)

MAK

If only there was some kind person who knows more and would share it with us poor downtrodden Bird Forum-posters. :-O :-O :-O

Lee

Lee
There is, but no-one takes any notice. Wait until bird fair and the date gives a clue? Friday, the first day of bird fair.

MAK.

Looking at the Little Owl with a length of about 22cm and scaling the bins in the same way we get a length for the bins of 13.2 cm which suggests a 32mm in line with Jan's provocative posts.

Yes, Leica needn't have scaled the binoculars to the same ratio as the Owl but I am guessing they have more or less done so otherwise it would make the bins look rather odd, size-wise.

Lee

Black background and an Owl ... Night Vision?
Or, the black background is not a clue and just used
to hide the bin. It has to be the latter, but the imagery made
me think. The bin looks like a standard bin...what can be seen
of it anyway. I'll have to stick with my previous prediction.

Looking at the Little Owl with a length of about 22cm and scaling the bins in the same way we get a length for the bins of 13.2 cm which suggests a 32mm in line with Jan's provocative posts.

Yes, Leica needn't have scaled the binoculars to the same ratio as the Owl but I am guessing they have more or less done so otherwise it would make the bins look rather odd, size-wise.

Lee

If it's a 7x32 I will be a happy camper.
But, I don't believe it for a second. They just scaled
the bin so it doesn't look odd as you say.

If you put the Google Chrome 3D view filter over it and scroll to the top of the bin you can read 7x32 9.2 (or 9.7 not completely clear) FOV written on the focusser.

Jan
Jan, could you please post a screenshot?
... If only there was some kind person who knows more and would share it with us poor downtrodden Bird Forum-posters. :-O :-O :-O
So sorry Pier, no can do, but thanks for your picture/post.

Well he could ........ , but since he is sworn to secrecy, then he'd probably have to kill you ! :eek!: :gn:

Wide angle CFRP Trinovid's in 7×32 and 9x32 eh :cool: nice :t:

Chosun :gh:

The strap attachment on this "Athene"-bin looks a bit odd, the height seem substantial, see photo, in comparison with the HD-B 42mm that are 176-178 mm tall. To me the strap attachment looks oversized. Not sure if it could indicate a smaller bin or the other way around. :-C

Attachments

• A-century-of-knowledge-has-come-to-life-Cinemascope-new_teaser-1200x470-2.jpg
    A-century-of-knowledge-has-come-to-life-Cinemascope-new_teaser-1200x470-2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
How about this for speculation:

On the photo the oculars have a diameter of about 2.2 cm
A typical ocular nowadays measures 4 cm across.
ergo: 1 cm on the photo is 1.8 cm in reality

The length of the bins on the photo is about 8 cm which translates to 14.5 cm in reality

At the objective end the diamater is about 3 cm on the photo giving 5.4 cm in reality

Could this be a 7x42? :)

The strap attachment on this "Athene"-bin looks a bit odd, quite large, it also protrudes very far to the left, see photo, in comparison with the HD-B 42mm that are 176-178 mm tall. To me the strap attachment looks oversized. Not sure if it could indicate a smaller bin or the other way around. :-C
But to me it mostly looks strange. Or do we not see the entire height of the bin? Or it might be some perspective distortion.

Nice find.

There are of course a few pointers to a small and handy model:

"little owl"
"small but not short on ability"
"across the world"
"between dawn and dusk"

Will we get another teaser next Friday???

Nice find.

There are of course a few pointers to a small and handy model:

"little owl"
"small but not short on ability"
"across the world"
"between dawn and dusk"

Will we get another teaser next Friday???

tried to lighten up the photo a bit,
comparing the ocular end with the objective end,
proportions might even indicate a 56 mm,
A 32 mm does not seem reasonable for low light use,
and leica does not have an "clean" 56mm in their line-up,
only the ones with range finders.
Puzzling, to say the least...:-O

Last edited:
Since it's a brand new model , I don't think they would make the 32mm first.
I still think it's an open bridge to compete with SF and SV. Its compact size
is the selling point. SF offered wide fov and new ergonomic development to try
and separate from SV and I think Leica is trying to separate from the other
two with its compact size and hopefully reduced weight. Thank Athena they aren't making
a huge bin like SV and SF and are sticking with what they are known for.

I could be totally wrong of course and I would rather see a mid-sized 32mm offered instead since I already have a great full size bin.
But, the rumors are that this is a new top tier/alpha bin from Leica , so it's not going to be a 32mm Trinovid
and most likely will be a 42mm "Little Owl" or whatever the actual model name is.

But I do wonder when a 32mm Trinovid HD will come out. Maybe both the new model and a 32 Trinovid will be announced at the Bird Fair. That would be a nice surprise.

Last edited:
Maybe Leica will offer a return to a 40mm objective, with HT glass who will miss the extra 2mm, maybe with a longer focal length than the UV to minimise CA, open hinge, slightly narrower tubes, and that wonderful diopter focus system.

I've heard the name for the new model is "Twinovid". ;)

Here is a sneak photo taken on a lunch break.

Perger porro prism construction it seems.

Jerry

Attachments

• __00001_Jumelles-Telemetre-LEICA-Geovid-HD-B-8x42.jpg
    __00001_Jumelles-Telemetre-LEICA-Geovid-HD-B-8x42.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 256
I've heard the name for the new model is "Twinovid". ;)

Jerry

Jerry ! :eek!:

I would have thought a seemingly brusquish and dour bloke ;) such as your good self was devoid of any real humour! o:) .... but that's actually really funny! :king: :-O , Hahaha , I like it! o:D

Actually, Leica could do a lot worse than call it the "Twinovid" :t: B :)

Jerry ! :eek!:

I would have thought a seemingly brusquish and dour bloke ;) such as your good self was devoid of any real humour! o:) .... but that's actually really funny! :king: :-O , Hahaha , I like it! o:D

Actually, Leica could do a lot worse than call it the "Twinovid" :t: B :)

Hi from Italy.
The Perger Porro prism system does not allow to build ultra-wide-angle binoculars, also does not provide a similar brightness like the best roof prism. At this point of the owl that we're talking about?:-D

Hi from Italy.
The Perger Porro prism system does not allow to build ultra-wide-angle binoculars, also does not provide a similar brightness like the best roof prism. At this point of the owl that we're talking about?:-D

Interesting,
I though you could get higher transmission than SP-prisms due to "total-reflection" (porro-style). And also allow a more compact design compared to AK-prim bins?

Interesting,
I though you could get higher transmission than SP-prisms due to "total-reflection" (porro-style). And also allow a more compact design compared to AK-prim bins?

I think Pier is referring to vignetting at the field edge, which according to the patent ( http://www.google.com/patents/US20120140349 ) is a little worse in the Perger Prism than in a standard Porro Type 2 (see Summary [0005] and Detailed Description [0019]).

However, light transmittance over most of the field would be exactly the same in a cemented Perger as in a cemented conventional Porro 1 or 2, or a cemented Abbe-Konig. All of those would be a little higher than an air-spaced Porro or A-K and higher still compared to an air-spaced Schmidt-Pechan. We can't tell from the patent just how wide a field could be accommodated before the extra vignetting of the Perger becomes obtrusive. It would vary depending on the rest of the design.

Henry

Last edited:
I think Piero is referring to vignetting at the field edge, which according to the patent ( http://www.google.com/patents/US20120140349 ) is a little worse in the Perger Prism than in a standard Porro Type 2 (see Summary [0005] and Detailed Description [0019]).

However, light transmittance over most of the field would be exactly the same in a cemented Perger as in a cemented conventional Porro 1 or 2, or a cemented Abbe-Konig. All of those would be a little higher than an air-spaced Porro or A-K and higher still compared to an air-spaced Schmidt-Pechan. We can't tell from the patent just how wide a field could be accommodated before the extra vignetting of the Perger becomes obtrusive. It would vary depending on the rest of the design.

Henry

Ok, the specs of the HD-B models point in that direction,
their FOV seems rather "modest" (but slightly better than the predecessor) and not really wide-angle. The 8x42 have a 130m FOV and the 10x42 114m. The 8x56 have a 118 m FOV. The only test I have seen on HD-B (8x42) is kikkertspesialisten and they gave them better on edge sharpness than SLC 56mm and Zeiss HT 54mm, and they were ranked very high on resolution, contrast (12) and high (11) on brightness. So the optics seem to be very good.

So most likely the Perger-prisms would not be the first-hand choice in a super-wide binocular.

Last edited:
The 42mm apparent fields are OK, especially the 10x42. The apparent fields using the simple mag x real FOV method work out to 59.4º for the 8x42 and 65.1º for the 10x42. Those models might have extra constraints on field width imposed by the rangefinder.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back