• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conservation Headlands (1 Viewer)

burhinus

It is really pleasing to see a major increase in the number of fields around the Brecks with conservation headlands. Some of the larger landowners are really getting to grips with this.

We have always managed to have decent sized winter finch flocks biut this should make things even better!

It may mean that fewer birds will visit gardens for feeding purposes during the winter. Can we blame the farmers? Only joking!

Conservation Headland

Hi Alan

A field headland is the bit all the way around the outside of the field that runs from the hedge for about 3-5 metres or so into the field.

A conservation headland is one which may be planted with a mixture of less commercial grass seeds and wildflowers which when seeded will provide food for birds. Some farmers are now just starting to leave this strip uncultivated and planted letting nature take its course.

Which ever way it is good for all kinds of wildlife, mammals, butterflies and of course birds.

Hope this has answered your question!

burhinus

Last edited:
Re Conservation Headlands

Interesting comment about the predatory insects Alan. In the Brecks again, I am aware of several farmers who actually create beetle banks. Ridges of piled up earth which are allowed to become overgrown with rough grasses. Ideal habitat for all manner of creey crawlies. Good supply of food to give Grey Partridge chicks a kick start.

burhinus

Yes .... can remember during the summer seeing those field edges & wondering if it was done on purpose, it's nice to see poppies and the other flowers growing up.

burhinus said:
Interesting comment about the predatory insects Alan. In the Brecks again, I am aware of several farmers who actually create beetle banks. Ridges of piled up earth which are allowed to become overgrown with rough grasses. Ideal habitat for all manner of creey crawlies. Good supply of food to give Grey Partridge chicks a kick start.

burhinus

I seem to remember some research/advice regarding the planting of beetle banks with plant/shrub species to attract breeding predatory insects. This apparently, would lead to the predators having a much greater impact on the pest species within the 'interior' of arable fields, thus reducing the need to spray - whilst keeping a reasonable, low maintenance, yield.

Andy.

"I guess a pile of rotting branches would also make a good beetle bank, in a garden, say?"

Yup, ive got one in my garden. In full sun and covered with ivy- frogs hibernate and feed on it, insects overwinter there, beetles hunt there and ive had a few dragonflies laying eggs in it!(not sure how normal that is?)

Southern hawker dragonflies seem to lay eggs in all sorts of strange places. Apparently they are programmed to lay their eggs above water, assuming that the water level will rise. One tried to lay eggs in a railway sleeper in our old garden. She must have had a diamond tipped ovipositor!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back