• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you carry trekking in mountains? (1 Viewer)

Tim Taylor

work in progress
OK, here's your opportunity to say how fit you are. ;)

I'm off to Morocco in a fortnight and can't decide whether to take the 1D MkIV and 300mm f2.8 + converters or to take the SX50 alone. 5+ hours of walking in the Atlas Mountains with a mule to carry the main luggage but no access to it while trekking. Will I miss great bird shots if I just take the SX50 as I did in China? Will I die of exhaustion if I take the medium sized DSLR kit?

I just can't make my mind up - LOL.

Any advice/anecdotes/suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Tim B :)

Its a hard choice, first and foremost any type of extra weight in a mountainous region is going to cause a bit of discomfort, but depending on your fitness it may be nothing off a problem. Ive only hiked up into the UK uplands and has i said any extra bit of weight over hard ground is going to be that touch harder, its really a personal thing. Do you think you will be ok taking the SLR and knowing you missed out in china, that will be your first thought no doubt, or take the SX50, risk missing the great shots but feeling comfortable with the less weight. The balls in your court Tim. Hope that helps. ��

Thanks BB. I guess I don't have much idea of whether there will be any bird life worth going to the effort for. If someone said the Atlas mountains are a magical bird paradise in October, I'd take the heavy camera. If it's a sparrow every ten miles I'd not bother...

I lugged a SLR - a 7D with 100 - 400L - around the Alps a while ago; it was bloody hard work and lighter than your combination. It's why I'm looking at getting a new 'bridge' camera. An SLR does not really go with 'serious' trekking up mountains. Also I didn't take a standard zoom so got no scenic shots. A difficult decision!

I lugged a SLR - a 7D with 100 - 400L - around the Alps a while ago; it was bloody hard work and lighter than your combination. It's why I'm looking at getting a new 'bridge' camera. An SLR does not really go with 'serious' trekking up mountains. Also I didn't take a standard zoom so got no scenic shots. A difficult decision!

I think I'll stick with the SX50. 5hrs+ a day hiking carrying all that equipment almost certainly won't be worth the few higher quality shots I'd get. Still torn though...

I'd carry it. I have done DSLR + tripod (055xpro) for 18k some days though. Terrain irrelevant in my mind (a lot of ridge areas in my usual haunts). Add water and I am carrying a good 25 lbs of gear all told.

I'd carry it. I have done DSLR + tripod (055xpro) for 18k some days though. Terrain irrelevant in my mind (a lot of ridge areas in my usual haunts). Add water and I am carrying a good 25 lbs of gear all told.

You must be fit but you've made me reconsider. My 25 yr old son will be with us and I could always pass it to him if I got tired. :-O:-O

I would take the Bridge but use a good after market strap that will lock it in place so it don't swing around and bother you. I would not want to take the DSLR kit just because of the risk damaging it on such a trek for little if any photo advantage.

I would take the Bridge but use a good after market strap that will lock it in place so it don't swing around and bother you. I would not want to take the DSLR kit just because of the risk damaging it on such a trek for little if any photo advantage.

The only 'photo advantages' I can see to taking the bridge camera are:

1. It's more likely to be in my hand
2. Its range is further

Otherwise the advantages would be overwhelmingly in favour of the Canon 1D MkIV and 300mm f2.8 IS with MkIII teleconverters.

I take a Canon 700 + a 70-300mm L lens and just sling it over my shoulder. The rucksack strap stops it slipping. The lens hood takes a bit of a bashing sometimes, but everything has survived intact. Could perhaps do with a longer lens, but that's quite enough weight for me when hiking in hot places. (Also carry a compact with a 30x zoom as a backup).

Basically it depends upon weighing up the walking vs the bird photos. If I wasn't a birder I would spend most my holidays going up mountains because I enjoy it. When I go to Snowdonia or the Lakes it's simple: there's nothing to justify lugging the SLR gear. Abroad I have gone for taking it as the birding is more important but it has significantly reduced the enjoyment of the walking side of the trip. When I next go to the Alps I think I want to enjoy the walking and being willing to walk further because lugging a SLR and big lens up and down mountains was hard work and none of the birds and only one mammal will be new. If I were going back to the Andes or Himalayas it would probably be different. But not necessarily so, as I am beginning to wonder if I spend too long trying to get great photos rater than watching the wildlife.

That's a lot of waffle to basically say they're the kind of thought processes to go through and there is no 'right' answer. Yes you may miss a good photo but you will probably enjoy the walking a lot more and that may well be more important.

You must be fit but you've made me reconsider. My 25 yr old son will be with us and I could always pass it to him if I got tired. :-O:-O
What else are young folks good for, to be fair I am much closer to his age than yours, I would assume. The stubbornness of youth and all that.

C'mon Tim,

What's a wife for, if not carrying hubbies DSLR & lens combo over one shoulder. If this makes her unbalanced, suggest scope on other shoulder should help get her upright again. That leaves you free to carry the hip flask which should help revive her when flagging.

Just off to m' Anderson shelter to get m' tin hat to avoid the incoming rounds now.

rgds
Ash

C'mon Tim,

What's a wife for, if not carrying hubbies DSLR & lens combo over one shoulder. If this makes her unbalanced, suggest scope on other shoulder should help get her upright again. That leaves you free to carry the hip flask which should help revive her when flagging.

Just off to m' Anderson shelter to get m' tin hat to avoid the incoming rounds now.

rgds
Ash

LOL, I'll pray for you Ash. 3:)

Very glad I didn't try hiking with my DSLR. Some of the walking was very challenging and there wasn't really much opportunity for chasing birds in any case. Here are a few pics from Marrakech after ther trek taken with the SX50.

Attachments

• house bunting emberiza sahari 3.jpg
    house bunting emberiza sahari 3.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 68
  • house bunting emberiza sahari 2.jpg
    house bunting emberiza sahari 2.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 75
  • common bulbul pycnonotus barbatus.jpg
    common bulbul pycnonotus barbatus.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 66
  • white stork ciconia ciconia 3.jpg
    white stork ciconia ciconia 3.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back