• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed dismantling a Fujinon super 80 ed spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Tundikeri

hi all

I would like some help getting into the prism housing of a fujinon super 80 ed scope

I have removed the eyepiece and objective tube

I took out the 5 screws from inside the mid section which almost releases the back section but not quite, there is something still holding it.

It seems like the focus knob or something along that line is holding it but I can not see how to dismantle further

has anyone any practical experience with these scopes.

would appreciate help removing the rear section !!!

pictures

pic 1 whole scope

pic2 scope with eyepiece and objective tube removed

pic 3 inside mid section where 5 screws are.

Attachments

• fujinon .jpg
    fujinon .jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 66
  • REAR-SECTION.JPG
    REAR-SECTION.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 5SCREWS.JPG
    5SCREWS.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 75
did not see grub screw

I can not see one, the focus knob has a rubber sleeve over it, I folded it over a little to have a look for a grub screw but did not see any. The sleeve looks like it would be difficult to put on with the knob in place.

thanks

Hi T

If it is anything like the Kowa 824 you need to unscrew a screw that goes through the sighting tube which I presume is the tube on top of the prism housing. I would try investigating that area.

hi

thanks for reply,

you know, I looked back into the sighting tube and it did look like there was two indents like something to unscrew but all my screwdrivers were angled so would not fit properly so I drilled it out a bit as it seemed soft aluminium and when that was frustrated I used a fine saw and cut through just the sight tube section but it did not seem to do the trick. I will have another look at it, but it did look like a screw so thanks for that.
The eyepiece seems ok, gave a quick clean and can now use it on a kowa tsn-2, it gives a good quality image..

Last edited:
The front of the focus knob ,..perhaps under the rubber ..try to cut a lil under the rubber in the front of the focus knob...

dismantled

hi

thanks for the replies,

I have managed to dismantle, I did not cut through enough on the peep hole/sight , it dismantled after I cut another 1/2 mm and is now dismantled.

There was a bit of glass rattling around when I got it which is due to a chip on the prism as seen in pictures....still works with chip but needed a bit of a clean.

Attachments

• fujjy (2).jpg
    fujjy (2).jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 64
  • fujjy (1).jpg
    fujjy (1).jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 64
Darth Baader Strikes Again

well the scope worked somewhat better after the clean so I will proceed to respray it , I have taken the paint off.

I also filed a small amout off the eyepiece bayonet lugs, not much, this was to try to fit a baader hyperion zoom on it, the fujinon eyepiece fits on my kowa 77mm and the baader will just squeeze onto the kowa so reckoned that if I shave a slight bit off the fujinon lugs it should squeeze on also ( as it would not when I got it).

well it fits on and the fujinon eyepiece still fits on okay ( I did not shave too much off the lugs !!)

I had to adapt a baader adapter as it needed to be lower profile to get focus.

The baader is functioning close and far from 24mm down to 16mm and will also focus at 8mm at close range so just the far distance at 8mm not quite there yet.

But I might be able to shave a tad more from the adapter

the image with the baader is super.

I have a kowa 27x wide (at 60) eyepiece on the way so hopefully that will fit and work nicely also.

I have a opticron 22x ww(60) 30xww (80) eyepieceand it fits into a 1.25 astro eyepiece adapter which will hold it with the compression screws and the astro adapter will screw onto the fujinon also so getting quite adaptable with this scope !!!!!!

a twist on a english saying:
POSSESSION OF THE LAW IS 9 TENTHS OF CRIME !!!!!

Attachments

• fuj-baader-b.jpg
    fuj-baader-b.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back