• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bubo ascalaphus (1 Viewer)

Robin Edwards

Does anyone know whether both European Eagle Owl and Pharoah Eagle Owl are to be found in similar habitation in Morocco ?

I believe some birds seen in Morocco as recorded as ascalaphus are actually European Bubo bubo being too large and dark to be the former.

Many lists of Moroccan birds don't show European Eagle Owl however so could I be wrong ?

I would be interested in the views of others and apologise if this would be better posted under another heading.

Regards
Robin

The List of the Birds of Morocco (Bergier & Thévenot) includes only Bubo ascalaphus in the list of species positively identified in Morocco:
http://www.go-south.org
[B bubo is listed as a possible accidental visitor (AV?).]

Thévenot, Vernon & Bergier 2003 (BOU Checklist No. 20: The Birds of Morocco) states: "The occurrence of B b hispanus has been suspected in north but not confirmed".

König & Weick 2008 (Owls of the World) states that B b hispanus occurs in "Iberian Peninsula and (perhaps only formerly?) wooded areas of Atlas Mountains in Algeria and Morocco".

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Richard. Very interesting.

I viewed two sites in Morocco last spring and to me the adult bird at one looked indistinguishable from European Eagle Owl - to my untrained eye anyway.

I guess plumage can be variable but I wonder how many records rely on geography alone ?

Regards
Robin

Robin,

Probably worth informing Patrick Bergier (and/or the Moroccan Rare Birds Committee Secretary) of your observations. As you suggest, birders often just record what they expect to see...

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back