• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory Pocket Strap Recommendation (1 Viewer)

John Frink

Like others who have reported in this forum, I am very favorably impressed by the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket bino. At first I disliked the tiny strap lugs (if they deserve to be called “lugs”); but with a bit of searching I found a solution that works well for me and which I can recommend – Op/Tech Mini QD Loops (1.5mm) [Op/Tech Item Nr. 1301082]; these adapters allow the use of standard bino straps, like my favorite, the Nikon AN-4B. I believe the adapters will interface with a number of strap and harness components in the Op/Tech system. Now that my 8x25 pocket has a “grown-up” strap, I can proudly take it anywhere. (Disclaimer: I have no commercial connection with Zeiss or Op/Tech, other than as a satisfied customer).

Attachments

• OP-Tech Zeiss A3944.jpg
    OP-Tech Zeiss A3944.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 619
  • OP-Tech Zeiss B3943.jpg
    OP-Tech Zeiss B3943.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 189
  • OP-Tech Zeiss C3939.jpg
    OP-Tech Zeiss C3939.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 238
  • OP-Tech Zeiss D3947.jpg
    OP-Tech Zeiss D3947.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 236
I use the thin shoelace-style strap from my old Leica Trinovid 8x20, it works perfectly. It's got tiny but surprisingly robust YKK LB-LS nylon quick-release connectors.

Pro tip: use a bent paper clip to push the loops through the tiny lugs that have about as much clearance as the eye of a needle.

I'm a big fan of Op/Tech products, but for pocket binocular straps I dislike having any hard bits (plastic or metal) that interfere with wrapping the strap tightly around the bin or that could fold/rub against the oculars when cased. So I made my own strap. Maybe someday I'll get over my obsession with this and use the QD loops (I do use them with one of my cameras). Good to know that the 1.5 mm version will fit through the lug. I knew the 1.0 mm would fit, but I wasn't sure about the 1.5. It's a nice option.

--AP

I tried this setup and it works great. The bins are small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, with the strap around my neck, while I'm hiking with a pack. The strap and connectors are a good match.

Thanks John for the tip, along with all the model numbers.

I did have trouble getting the connectors through the diminutive lugs, so resorted to looping dental floss around the connector lace, then threading that through the lug and pulling it through.

I very much like the quality and convenience of this binocular, because I can wear it all day out in the field, and not notice it, however if I'm outside strictly to bird, I find a pair of 8x42's to be a more immersive and accommodating fit for my eyes and glasses. I would say perceived image circle size, and forgiving eye placement due to the increased exit pupil are the contributing factors.

-Bill

I use the Optech loops on all my bins; the hardened rubber doesn't pose a threat to the metal of the lugs, and (although too much for the Pocket probably) hook the S-Biner lockable dual carabiner connectors between the Optech and a Rick Young harness. This gives the option of connecting (or not) an optics guard. Been working well on a range of sizes of bins for at least a couple of years now. The only adaption required is removing the metal O ring from the RY harness, and there's no metal-on-metal in the whole thing and easily disconnected if necessary for packing or travel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back